How can some get away from paying for a license

Featured Posts

It's good isn't it?!

Other words I like are 'turgid', 'temerity' and 'vainglorious'.

smile.png

MtB

Turgid is a favourite word of mine too

For some reason, this morning, "abrogate" kept repeating itself like a mind worm for me

That's easy. When you've just caved in and stumped up £900 for a licence, you want to make sure everyone else is buying theirs too!

It's the same reason home moorers get snitty about CCers who CM instead of paying for a mooring.

Just sayin', like.

MtB

People evade lots of fees/taxes/etc that I pay in day to day life. My conscience is clear - I'm happy to leave it to those tasked with investigation and enforcement to follow up those who don't.

When we boat we enjoy the scenery. Folk would be much happier if they did the same rather than getting worked up about other peoples' affairs.

Just sayin' like smile.png

People evade lots of fees/taxes/etc that I pay in day to day life. My conscience is clear - I'm happy to leave it to those tasked with investigation and enforcement to follow up those who don't.

When we boat we enjoy the scenery. Folk would be much happier if they did the same rather than getting worked up about other peoples' affairs.

Just sayin' like smile.png

I was just answering your question. You may not like the answer, but it's the answer all the same!

MtB

That's easy. When you've just caved in and stumped up £900 for a licence, you want to make sure everyone else is buying theirs too!

It's the same reason home moorers get snitty about CCers who CM instead of paying for a mooring.

Just sayin', like.

MtB

But I pay both my licence and a home mooring, and I don't bother my arse personally with what other people do in this respect!

Edited by Starcoaster

People evade lots of fees/taxes/etc that I pay in day to day life. My conscience is clear - I'm happy to leave it to those tasked with investigation and enforcement to follow up those who don't.When we boat we enjoy the scenery. Folk would be much happier if they did the same rather than getting worked up about other peoples' affairs.Just sayin' like :)

However CRT, having limited resources, have asked us boaters to report unlicensed boats and that is why they provide the boat-checking web page. Personally I see no reason to denigrate those who are prepared to take the time to report unlicensed boats, after all they are effectively stealing from us all. Presumably if you saw someone pick-pocketing a little old lady's pension, you might do something about it? Surely reporting licence evaders is the same principle?

Edited by nicknorman
  • Greenie 1

But I pay both my licence and a home mooring, and I don't bother my arse personally with what other people do in this respect!

Nor do I, especially. I was attempting to explain to Ange why some peeps (for example Adam) get worked up about it.

MtB

All together now...............................

SLOW DOWN !!!!

Could do with a big sign that says that here!

Sign as you lock through into the marina says Dead Slow. That must mean something else in these parts. It's certainly not what we have witnessed.

In fact we got told to speed up heading from the lock to our berth this morning. We were doing 3mph at the time... ....

However, CRT having limited resources, have asked us boaters to report unlicensed boats and that is why they provide the boat-checking web page. Personally I see no reason to denigrate those who are prepared to take the time to report unlicensed boats, after all they are effectively stealing from us all. Presumably if you saw someone pick-pocketing a little old lady's pension, you might do something about it? Surely reporting licence evaders is the same principle?

Stirrer...

For anyone who may be wondering, from an IT point of view CRT will have dropped the requirement to display a licence for the same reason that DVLC are dropping (have dropped?) theirs. All someone needs to perform a check is to tap the boat number into a smartphone app to retrieve its info from a central computer, and then to verify that the boat name etc. they get back matches the vessel in front of them, so that nobody can evade detection just by cloning another boat's number. I am making the reasonable assumption that CRT's IT people are bright enough to have thought of this, and to cross-check locations in case someone registers two identical boats under one number, or clones the whole exterior of someone else's boat. A good systems analyst needs a fertile imagination!

I am making the reasonable assumption that CRT's IT people are bright enough to have thought of this, and to cross-check locations in case someone registers two identical boats under one number, or clones the whole exterior of someone else's boat. A good systems analyst needs a fertile imagination!

Ah, now that's wishful thinking....