How can some get away from paying for a license

Featured Posts

What I don't get is the folk who leave licences up showing expiry date in 2009 or the like, but when you do the boat-checker thing they are currently licenced. Do they leave the ancient one up and fail to display the current one out of laziness, or out of devilment?

Actually that seems a good idea. Surely a better rate could be obtained for such a bulk purchase and it would clear up the "expired mid way through the licence period" problem. It would just require the boat insurance companies to offer a product that didn't include 3rd party liability, not too difficult surely?

I'm currently displaying an out of date licence, not out of any desire to be aggy or that I'm not up to date, I just simply forget to grab it from the address where it sits. This thread has reminded me that I'll probably forget it again soon.

I'm currently displaying an out of date licence, not out of any desire to be aggy or that I'm not up to date, I just simply forget to grab it from the address where it sits. This thread has reminded me that I'll probably forget it again soon.

That's fine, we have all been there, displaying a licence a month or to out of date, but not displaying a licence from 5 years ago. That is an awful lot of forgetting to do!

That's fine, we have all been there, displaying a licence a month or to out of date, but not displaying a licence from 5 years ago. That is an awful lot of forgetting to do!

their memory must be even worse than mine biggrin.png

It's more than probable that it will be out of date before I think about putting it in the window. Shocking memory coupled with loads of much more fun things to trigger my synapses. I, like our weekly boat checker is more than happy that I am in possession of a license.

Not that i am bothered either way but if someone is not prepared to display a valid licence why would they be bothered to display a genuine index number so CRT know who to kick up the arse.

Probably because by displaying an index number they know that CRT can instantly confirm their boat is licenced. The bit of paper is superfluous (nice word too)

4% is also the accepted returns rate for a shoe factory. Any more than that you need to sort your quality control out. would cost you too much money to get it down any lower. Fascinating factoid of the day.

The law of diminishing returns I believe?

In June 2012 I was in Leeds and as a CCer I always have problems getting my licence via the post so thought I would pop into the office and see if I could do my licence there and then even though it does not run out until end November. It was no problem I paid up and they printed a licence for me 11/13 so in 6/12 I was displaying a licence 11/13 if I so wanted I could go now and pay for 3 years and display a licence 11/17 CRT would be happy to issue licences as long as you like the more the better I imagine

That might explain why Lin spotted a boat licence dated 03/16 recently. I'm just thinking that if choosing to pay a year + in advance weather you avoid any future licence price increases?

Edited by Julynian

Funny, how different people are isn't it?

I have never noticed if another boat has a valid license displayed or not, and rarely notice if there are trade plates in the windows or reg number painted on the side of the boat. I'm normally too busy checking out their plants, top boxes or solar set ups. Guess we all have sightly different priorities.

Yes, I would like it if all boaters fulfill their obligatory payment of their license fees. However; I don't really think if they did my license fee would decrease. But it would be more money in the coffers of the Trust to maintain the waterways, and that can only be a good thing.

I'm just not at a point of taking the time & energy to check other boats - too busy enjoying all the other pleasing & interesting sights on the canals.

Funny, how different people are isn't it?

I have never noticed if another boat has a valid license displayed or not, and rarely notice if there are trade plates in the windows or reg number painted on the side of the boat. I'm normally too busy checking out their plants, top boxes or solar set ups. Guess we all have sightly different priorities.

Yes, I would like it if all boaters fulfill their obligatory payment of their license fees. However; I don't really think if they did my license fee would decrease. But it would be more money in the coffers of the Trust to maintain the waterways, and that can only be a good thing.

I'm just not at a point of taking the time & energy to check other boats - too busy enjoying all the other pleasing & interesting sights on the canals.

See us man can multi task

Probably because by displaying an index number they know that CRT can instantly confirm their boat is licenced. The bit of paper is superfluous (nice word too)

I should have been a bit more precise in that if they do not have a valid licence then the logical thing to do is not display a valid index number either.

I should have been a bit more precise in that if they do not have a valid licence then the logical thing to do is not display a valid index number either.

I do think some boaters do this but I am unsure what percentage of the 4% do or how CRT pursue this in the absence of the information needed to trace the owner.

There are 3 year mooring licenses now but I don't believe you can get more than a one year cruising license.

:unsure:

If you can I think its quite a good option really but would you get a 30% discount for prompt payment?

3 x 10%

:lol:

Isn't it?

I thought both Ange and Starcoaster had expressed the view that they paid their own licences and weren't bothered about what other people did, i.e. whether they paid theirs or not. See post 60 for an example.

MtB

Nerp. I agree boats should be licenced. However, I keep my own house in order, as it were, and that is between me and CRT. What other people do is between them and CRT. I literally never notice if a boat is displaying a licence or not, because it just never occurs to me to look and play licence vigilante.

Much as how I don't check tax disks in the car park, nor watch other shoppers to see if they are shoplifting.

All of these things have a knock-on effect that is potentially detrimental to the group/community as a whole, but I am not tasked with enforcing or policing it, and so I don't.

Nerp. I agree boats should be licenced. However, I keep my own house in order, as it were, and that is between me and CRT. What other people do is between them and CRT. I literally never notice if a boat is displaying a licence or not, because it just never occurs to me to look and play licence vigilante.

Much as how I don't check tax disks in the car park, nor watch other shoppers to see if they are shoplifting.

All of these things have a knock-on effect that is potentially detrimental to the group/community as a whole, but I am not tasked with enforcing or policing it, and so I don't.

when you put a post on my friend has lost their dog did anyone reply my dog is ok so "I'm OK Jack"????

Edited by Grace & Favour
Edited phrase
  • Greenie 4

Social / community responsibility?

Edited by nicknorman

For anyone who may be wondering, from an IT point of view CRT will have dropped the requirement to display a licence for the same reason that DVLC are dropping (have dropped?) theirs. All someone needs to perform a check is to tap the boat number into a smartphone app to retrieve its info from a central computer, and then to verify that the boat name etc. they get back matches the vessel in front of them, so that nobody can evade detection just by cloning another boat's number. I am making the reasonable assumption that CRT's IT people are bright enough to have thought of this, and to cross-check locations in case someone registers two identical boats under one number, or clones the whole exterior of someone else's boat. A good systems analyst needs a fertile imagination!

Slightly off topic.

But could this system be used to check if the person selling a boat, had their name on the license ?

Which although it would not entirely prove they owned it and had a right to sell it.

But along with other documents would help to