How can some get away from paying for a license

Featured Posts

If, say, 4% are dodgers and CRT find it uneconomical to pursue them then then some will decide to join that 4% and before long it will be 5% or 6% oo more. So pursuing that 4% would have made economic sense after all.

What Richard Parry said was that 4% is a rolling figure which is unlikely to fall much as when they take enforcement against one another is defaulting, so you never get to zero.

Personally I am not sure how reporting any anti social/criminal behaviour can be seen as being a busybody. It implies to some that certain actions are acceptable even if anti social/criminal. Which in turn means they aren't really anti social etc as society accepts them and doesn't take action when they could.

Now I have "shown you mine" you "show me yours"!

If I find something happening as I go about my business , do I do something about it? Yes I do

Do I go out of my way to police my fellow citizens? No, I don't

Would I do something about a license that is expired? No - I don't know enough about what is happening between the boat owner and CRT

Would I cruise along looking for expired licenses? No. My duty is to pay attention to handling the boat

Richard

Fair enough. Included within that 4% unlicensed, are the boats that are in marinas where a licence is not necessary.

Do you have a public source that supports this?

I have been told that boats somewhere that does not need a CRT licence are not included.

Why would they be, as it would falsely make the statistic worse than it actually is, when CRT are keen to report the percentage as low as possible?

As an aside what is not being stated is that in some regions enforcement appears to be far better than others, as some (like the South East) are claimed to be running at under 2%, whereas other are at over 6%, (I think that includes London, but I haven't checked, so don't quote me on which it is).

Under 2% is probably hard to improve on, whereas over 6% would seem worth more effort (to me).

If I had a boat and a bunch of old licences in my folder, having read this thread I'd be off to the boat post haste to put the oldest one in the window just to see who turns purple as they go by.

I'd be a no.4.

I have to say as we are currently travelling with both boats together, I'm tempted to swap the licences between the two, and see how long anybody takes to notice!

I would feel that any of member of the public (boater volunteer) who is "just checking up on me", to see if I was licensed, is an invasion of my privacy. To do so, they have to walk around or up and down my boat, and find the little sticker with the index number on. To me, that's the same as someone walking up to my boat to see what's available to swipe. (checking index numbers could be a great way for people to justify being nosy).

So if you walk past my boat...and want to check my index number . DONT. My boat is bright purple. I'm licensed. If I was unlicensed, I would have painted my boat primer grey, to try and hide amongst all the other sailaways.

I don't mind a CRT official checking, if they are clearly identifiable as CRT employees, wearing a uniforum of some sort.

Edited by DeanS

I would feel that any of member of the public (boater volunteer) who is "just checking up on me", to see if I was licensed, is an invasion of my privacy. To do so, they have to walk around or up and down my boat, and find the little sticker with the index number on. To me, that's the same as someone walking up to my boat to see what's available to swipe. (checking index numbers could be a great way for people to justify being nosy).

So if you walk past my boat...and want to check my index number . DONT. My boat is bright purple. I'm licensed. If I was unlicensed, I would have painted my boat primer grey, to try and hide amongst all the other sailaways.

I don't mind a CRT official checking, if they are clearly identifiable as CRT employees, wearing a uniforum of some sort.

I don't check people's licence disks. I'm too busy reporting every car that passes me (me at 70mph) doing more than 80mph! ( tongue-in-cheek smiley )

Edited by system 4-50

The actual figures for license evasion given by CRT in June as a result of the March annual inspection by region are :

North 4.5%

Mids 4%

W&W 4.2%

SE 1.9%

South

---K&A 4.5%

---LDN 5.3%

Boaters who's license ran out at the end of the previous month whose renewals are perhaps in the system are counted as not being licensed for this purpose

DeanS

Do you not have BW/CRT index number plates displayed on both sides of the boat? They are usually fairly easy to read without being nosy at all.

Since when has a boat index number been displayed on a "little sticker" ?

Yes I know it is on the paper license 'plates' in very small print as well but I think you do have to display the metal ones as well, technically. I would hope so.

Not entirely sure though :unsure:

IMO they form the basis of a boat registration system and need to be visible without looking in the windows to see if you have an expensive laptop, camera etc

My BW plates are embossed aluminium black text on white background with a font over 2 inches high.

I thought all licenced boats were issued with them so if you choose not to display them and think people are looking closely at your paper plates then maybe think about fixing the metal plates in a prominent place like high up on the cabin side towards the stern or something

;)

The latest are not metal. They are vinyl stickers. My boat is 57ft long. The stickers could be on any window....top or bottom, front or back... To "check my license" you would need to physically approach the boat, and walk from bow to stern, looking to see where I had stuck it/them. If I hadn't stuck my stickers on, but only put my licence disk up, it's even smaller, and to check the date/colour etc, you'd need to be even closer. My point is....if you are 100ft from my boat, and are not an official CRT checker, you have NO RIGHT to feel the need to come near my boat to "do a little check" , because YOU feel it's your "boaters duty".

One "right" that I do feel many boaters should be allowed to enjoy, after forking out a decent amount of cash to "live in peace" on the canals, is to not have to worry about vigilante sticker lookers.

:)

I own 2 boats.

They are both licenced.

CRT know this.

• Greenie 2

I have some sympathy with DeanS view.

I was busy painting a bit of my boat a year or two ago, moored legally on a normal 14 day mooring. Some arrogant little man off a passing NB started giving me the third degree about my staying there, whether I had a home mooring and telling me he was "a member of a forum and would be checking me out."

I laughed and carried on painting.

The latest are not metal. They are vinyl stickers. My boat is 57ft long. The stickers could be on any window....top or bottom, front or back... To "check my license" you would need to physically approach the boat, and walk from bow to stern, looking to see where I had stuck it/them. If I hadn't stuck my stickers on, but only put my licence disk up, it's even smaller, and to check the date/colour etc, you'd need to be even closer. My point is....if you are 100ft from my boat, and are not an official CRT checker, you have NO RIGHT to feel the need to come near my boat to "do a little check" , because YOU feel it's your "boaters duty".

One "right" that I do feel many boaters should be allowed to enjoy, after forking out a decent amount of cash to "live in peace" on the canals, is to not have to worry about vigilante sticker lookers.

:)

I own 2 boats.

They are both licenced.

CRT know this.

You are claiming lots of rights that don't exist! You moor your boat in a public place, everyone has a right to look at it. Any when you are out cruising, other boats pass close by. In fact, since it is a fat boat, other boats have to pass VERY close by. If your licence is out of date, it will be obvious. But never mind, your licence is in date so nothing to worry about.

I was always under the impression the boat No. sticker or badge had to be of a reasonable enough size to be read from a reasonable distance, that being at least the width of a canal so wardens can visibly see boat numbers from the opposite tow path.

I remember when we first came on the water I recall a warden stating this when he noticed one of our old metal ones had detached itself from the boat side panel that I needed to do the same size font at the old BW metal plate if I replaced it with vinyl stickers.

Edited by Julynian

I suppose I could spend it getting cross about what other people are doing but somehow that seems to be a waste of time

Richard

But its nothing to do with getting cross if you are a #3 -only if you are a #2. #3s just calmly tap the number into their iPads and back comes licensed or not. Most of the time they are licensed but not displaying it so they get a warm cosy feeling, as opposed to the #2s who are frequently miffed for no reason. Bad for the blood pressure.

You are claiming lots of rights that don't exist! You moor your boat in a public place, everyone has a right to look at it. Any when you are out cruising, other boats pass close by. In fact, since it is a fat boat, other boats have to pass VERY close by. If your licence is out of date, it will be obvious. But never mind, your licence is in date so nothing to worry about.

Actually I am in a marina, and I have never been checked so many times in my life. (by CRT) . The LAST thing I would appreciate is some little nosey so n so, coming by and walking along my pontoon because he thinks he's doing CRT a favour.

But its nothing to do with getting cross if you are a #3 -only if you are a #2. #3s just calmly tap the number into their iPads and back comes licensed or not. Most of the time they are licensed but not displaying it so they get a warm cosy feeling, as opposed to the #2s who are frequently miffed for no reason. Bad for the blood pressure.

I am not a number

Richard

I've just fixed the lawnmower

Actually I am in a marina, and I have never been checked so many times in my life. (by CRT) . The LAST thing I would appreciate is some little nosey so n so, coming by and walking along my pontoon because he thinks he's doing CRT a favour.

Being in a marina is different than being on a canal. If in a marina, I'd expect a reasonable amount of privacy (depending on exactly where the mooring is) and no public access. Being on a canal, anyone can look at the boat so its up to us to keep it secure etc from people we don't want knowing its internal contents, but externally I accept its in a public place so it will be seen, windows looked into by kids, photographed, etc.

Being in a marina is different than being on a canal. If in a marina, I'd expect a reasonable amount of privacy (depending on exactly where the mooring is) and no public access. Being on a canal, anyone can look at the boat so its up to us to keep it secure etc from people we don't want knowing its internal contents, but externally I accept its in a public place so it will be seen, windows looked into by kids, photographed, etc.

I agree, but the idea of someone looking at another boaters boat, and not see-ing an index number displayed, and then getting on the phone to "report them" , get's me wound up smile.png I imagine what we're REALLY talking about here, is posh boaters who see a run down boat....in their local area,....and get their noses out of joint....and want it removed/moved etc as quickly as possible...and seeing no index number, think.....ahhhh.....let's report them.

;-)

Edited by DeanS

I agree, but the idea of someone looking at another boaters boat, and not see-ing an index number displayed, and then getting on the phone to "report them" , get's me wound up smile.png I imagine what we're REALLY talking about here, is posh boaters who see a run down boat....in their local area,....and get their noses out of joint....and want it removed/moved etc as quickly as possible...and seeing no index number, think.....ahhhh.....let's report them.

;-)

The run down boat owner could ensure this doesn't happen by clearly displaying their index number and valid licence, then - just like the rules require, and like 95% of boat owners seem to manage with no issue. Normally people don't display their licence because they have something to hide; or they're paranoid.

;-)

That is a very skewed post and smacks of a large shoulder chip.......I'm not a "shiny" boater and no one in their right mind would call me posh but sitting in my 40 year old yoghurt pot I get miffed when I see someone who does not appear to be paying their share!

;-)

I believe you are on the right lines re. Mr Arrogant who tried it on with me. I believe he took a dislike to the fact that I was doing a little work on the boat in a spot where he would have liked to have moored. Furthermore I have no mooring licence displayed as I don't require one where we moor, and I believe that is what caused his blood pressure to rise.

Edited by Guest

That is a very skewed post and smacks of a large shoulder chip.......I'm not a "shiny" boater and no one in their right mind would call me posh but sitting in my 40 year old yoghurt pot I get miffed when I see someone who does not appear to be paying their share!

I was trolling. lightheartedly. you bit. sorry:)

I agree, but the idea of someone looking at another boaters boat, and not see-ing an index number displayed, and then getting on the phone to "report them" , get's me wound up :) I imagine what we're REALLY talking about here, is posh boaters who see a run down boat....in their local area,....and get their noses out of joint....and want it removed/moved etc as quickly as possible...and seeing no index number, think.....ahhhh.....let's report them.

;-)

Any case, you should have 2 licences being a fat boat, since you take up twice the space of a narrowboat.