What have you fettled for the boat today?

Featured Posts

go on then mark, where's the video we want to hear it!

lol - well I should have thought of that. Unfortunately now left the boat.

Travelling about this year on the blind bends of South Oxford, the Klaxon was the only horn/hooter I ever heard from approaching boats. My lookout told me they had sounded horns (like we did) but I never heard any.

Edited by mark99

• 1 month later...

Due to a combination of "Metal Moths" and "Swooping Attack Branches" my chimney's Coolie Hat finally gave up the ghost.

Here's the replacement I made from a bit of scrap aluminium I had left over from a different project.

Including the cost of 12 pop rivets and a brief fly past of rattly can heat resistant paint I estimate it cost less than an hour and about £2 to make.

IMG_2099.jpg

I'm feeling very pleased with myself. smile.png I have finally installed the new diesel central heating system in Sabina H. It has taken me weeks to do the modest amount of work but as it is only just four months after major surgery, to say I'm chuffed is putting it mildly. There are one or two minor problems to sort but the system as a whole works. Before I could start installing the heater I had to remove a defunct 12.5KW three phase generator from the engine room, as I mustn't lift anything heavy this was a bit of a problem but aided by umpteen strops and temporary lifting points armed with my trusty chain block, I got it all on deck (Heath Robinson would have been in awe of my technique) and lifted the boiler in. I am now settling down on deck in the sunshine to consume some ale......the minor adjustments can wait......I'm feeling too happy to worry about them at the moment. smile.pngsmile.pngsmile.png

Edited by John V

My 120 watt solar panel had finally arrived yesterday so installed that this afternoon. My batteries are charged by solar as already had 160 watts and a 30 amp battery charger as on mains. I have been running from solar since as switched off my charger this afternoon and my battery voltage still reads around 13.5 volts. I have a 12 volt fridge plus other usual 12 volt fare. I would definitely rate solar as even being on mains it must be saving me money, ok it cost me £280 to buy.

Jamescheers.gif

Edited by canals are us?

A simple and very cheap but smart double skinned chimney for my Liverpool Boat (impossible to buy the right 5 3/4 inch size). Just a length of 4 inch domestic central heating boiler balanced flue pipe fixed inside a single skinned chimney. The last one worked a treat - until I wiped it off going under a low lock bridge on the south Stratford!

post-23473-0-16916400-1442952445_thumb.jpg

Well done. I realise you get many hours and sometimes high revs from your mechanics, but you have your fair share of defects. Or opdefs, as these were referred to in the RN.

Glad you're all fixed up and ready to go.

Martyn

It's only a temporary fix to get us away next week.

The shaft is badly worn so needs replacing but they didn't have one in stock. The new seals have stopped the leak for now but it will come back before too long.

We will get a full rebuild kit when the boat is ashore again this winter and replace the seals, shaft, bearings and drive dog.

Eta: we get a fair amount of use out of the boat so we can't really complain about a few mechanical mishaps here and there.

Edited by Naughty Cal

• 4 weeks later...

Just installed a new Thermo Top E and all the radiators etc after seeking lots of advice on here first.

A couple of easily fixed weeps on radiator valves, and a mouth full of diesel to bleed the fuel pipes and away it went.

Cutting holes through the bulkhead was a complete sod, but it needed to be done right.

Feeling quite pleased with myself and also toasty!

• 2 weeks later...

This weekend's job. Fitting a turbo boost pressure gauge.

DSC_1219.jpg

We had a problem earlier in the year on our way back across the Wash with NC loosing power which resulted in a long and boring ride across the Wash at 5 knots. We had initially put this down to the leaking turbo seals due to finding a bit of oil in the air box. However since cleaning the air box out and cleaning the air filter (K&N non disposable filter) the oil has not reappeared and NC performed to her normal self on a recent run down to West Stockwith with has left us scratching our heads a little.

The initial plan had been to whip the turbo off this winter whilst we are out of the water but it now transpires that the engine has to come out of the boat to get the turbo off the engine, something we are keen to avoid if not necessary.

So the plan for this weekend is to rig up the boost pressure gauge, in a temporary fashion for now just to get some readings and head out onto the Trent on Sunday to see how the turbo is performing. If it is below its design boost pressure of 1.6 Bar then we will have to bite the bullet and have the engine taken out and turbo off. If it isn't then it can stay insitu.

This weekend's job. Fitting a turbo boost pressure gauge.

DSC_1219.jpg

We had a problem earlier in the year on our way back across the Wash with NC loosing power which resulted in a long and boring ride across the Wash at 5 knots. We had initially put this down to the leaking turbo seals due to finding a bit of oil in the air box. However since cleaning the air box out and cleaning the air filter (K&N non disposable filter) the oil has not reappeared and NC performed to her normal self on a recent run down to West Stockwith with has left us scratching our heads a little.

The initial plan had been to whip the turbo off this winter whilst we are out of the water but it now transpires that the engine has to come out of the boat to get the turbo off the engine, something we are keen to avoid if not necessary.

So the plan for this weekend is to rig up the boost pressure gauge, in a temporary fashion for now just to get some readings and head out onto the Trent on Sunday to see how the turbo is performing. If it is below its design boost pressure of 1.6 Bar then we will have to bite the bullet and have the engine taken out and turbo off. If it isn't then it can stay insitu.

Hi,,

Do you let your turbo idle and cool off before switching off the engine?.

I do, saw some pics. of failed turbos whilst having my car MOT'ed and it would seem idling them for perhaps 30 secs allows a 'cool down' and cuts down wear, ( I have a turbo on a diesel car).

ATB.

L

Hi,,

Do you let your turbo idle and cool off before switching off the engine?.

I do, saw some pics. of failed turbos whilst having my car MOT'ed and it would seem idling them for perhaps 30 secs allows a 'cool down' and cuts down wear, ( I have a turbo on a diesel car).

ATB.

L

On a boat you do give it time to settle down and idle.

You can't exactly plane into a lock or harbour onto a berth laugh.png

Edited by Naughty Cal