Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

As I understand it, the problem with some of the vintage engines is that whilst they can of course be converted to electric start, the cost of so doing can be very substantial, even if you can acquire the bits.

I'm sure someone will immediately say this is nonsense, but one ex GUCCCo boat we considered still had a hand srart National, and it was suggested to me that making it electric start could easily cost £4K. (Still a bargain versus £18K for a Gardner, of course, but still not an insubstantial amount to add to the £50K to £60K to buy a historic boat in the first place.)

If you do it properly take fly off have ring gears made and machined yes it will cost a fair bit 3-4k prob isnt far off by the time youve had all the brackets starter ring gear and then had it fettled to make sure its strait.

You can do it far cheaper by useing other parts from other engines you can even do it by using starter ring gear that comes in 4-5 bits and just bolt them on. It all comes down to how badly you want it. I just stick to hand start simple.

A jp is easyer as you can add a bit of string to cylinder 1 so by the time you have got 10 turns done your turning at full speed and the rope flicks the lever for you.

A jp is easyer as you can add a bit of string to cylinder 1 so by the time you have got 10 turns done your turning at full speed and the rope flicks the lever for you.

If you have that kind of decompressor. Doesn't work with the crankcase button type valve lifters

Richard

Just out of interest how do you get rid of a wooden boat . There's an awful lot of good firewood in one but I suppose an awful lot of metal fastenings too .

I've seen photos of wooden fishing boats just abandoned on the beach with all the valuable bits stripped out.

In Boston the wooden fishing boats have just been left to sink and rot away on their moorings. Makes for an interesting scene as you cruise down towards the Wash.

Does anyone know what the electric start option used to cost on the JP when new?

No surprise that we don't have it, given the legendary thriftiness of Victor Waddington, but I wonder how much he saved by doing so.

We may have some info on that. It would be quite a lot when you add up the starter, ring gear, dynamo, batteries, control panel, wiring etc.

Richard

Electric start on a JP is pretty common. My guess is that hand starting has been listed as a feature and the engine already has electric start which wasn't thought worthy of mention

Anyone have personal experience of Duke?

Richard

I saw the film Painted Boats on board DUKE in 1982 at Titford Pools when it was being used as a mobile cinema. I know, this does not count for much captain.gif

edit = and I also have a comprehensive history for DUKE.

On Rugby Boats.

I have seen DOLPHIN a number of times and thought it to be an attractive conversion (for a Josher). Having watched the video above it seems a little characterless and to modernised, and a central heating radiator in a back cabin !!!! (as opposed to front cabin) captain.gif

Edited by pete harrison

Unless the figures in the advert are erroneous, it would be of little use on most of our canals, as it has a claimed width of about 9 feet and a draught of 5 feet - though perhaps the elasticity which reduces its length from 72.5 feet in the heading to 71.5 feet in the text may help it along its way.

Surely the "vast battery bank" could drive an electric starter motor?

Royalties were built to 6'11" wide, 4'11.75" hull sides, with a distance of 3'3" (1m) from Uxter to skeg. 71.5 ft long nominally though I've not actually measures that on Vicky.

JP2 's are easy to start by hand due to the large flywheel. I've started and actually worked on Duke's JP and it works fine. Also has a 'string' start!

Goes very nicely, with huge cabin height, but only Center doors for main cabin.

Yes, on reflection it is over 10 years since I swung a starting handle and I'm not sure I should be quite so blasé about my cranking abilities these days.

Oh I dunno, since your return your crankiness seems to have reached new heights!

(Nice to see you back by the way.)

I've got a friend who has a JP3 to which he has fitted a dynostart by having a large diameter dual pulley made to fit the end of the crankshaft. Its an ex industrial engiñe. Not sure if the JP2M has excess shaft sticking out past the flywheel.

I saw the film Painted Boats on board DUKE in 1982 at Titford Pools when it was being used as a mobile cinema. I know, this does not count for much captain.gif

(snipped)

Snap! Though we sat and watched in Aylesbury basin, might have been '83.

This '80 or '81:

post-5975-0-07397500-1476862026_thumb.jpg

That's our cat Morgan inspecting the new view.

Edited by Derek R.

I have a hand-start JP2. I have found that the trick to starting it on a cold morning is to think of Donald Trump, which generates sufficient anger (I do take a couple of gos when it's cold, but can tell when the oil is warming up and when it's happy to start). I have acquired a good collections of bListers on my cranking hand, though. When I got the boat and wasn't sure if I'd manage to start the engine on my own, I looked at various options to make it easier and in the end had the decompressors moved to the top, which was enough to make it easy for me to start (that was not so expensive). I've not tried the string technique, as had no need to yet. My general philosophy has been if the teenage girls crewing during the war could hand-start and fix the clapped out Nationals in their boats, I can manage a nicely-maintained JP2. Seems to be working so far; my biggest problem is fighting off hordes of 'helpful' men who want to start my engine for me, when half the fun is doing it myself.

• Greenie 1

Remember Norwind that was for sale a couple of weeks ago (post #4186)?

It sold on ebay on 12 Oct for £9900 (according to ebay), and it's now back on the same website with a classified ad price of £17950.

Very poorly worded advert though. No mention of its history.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/40ft-shabby-chic-narrowboat-houseboat-ready-to-liveaboard-/162247761469?hash=item25c6b85e3d:g:edgAAOSwx2dYCRLP

post-23238-0-77213900-1477081547_thumb.jpg

Remember Norwind that was for sale a couple of weeks ago (post #4186)?

It sold on ebay on 12 Oct for £9900 (according to ebay), and it's now back on the same website with a classified ad price of £17950.

Very poorly worded advert though. No mention of its history.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/40ft-shabby-chic-narrowboat-houseboat-ready-to-liveaboard-/162247761469?hash=item25c6b85e3d:g:edgAAOSwx2dYCRLP

attachicon.gif16 10 Norwind from second ad.jpg

If you click on their other items for sale it gets more puzzling, what a way to run a business?

We'll be putting ASTON, our Large Woolwich Butty ex working boat up for sale for around £65000 in a month or so. If anyone knows anyone who is seeking an historic boat like this please send then my way. I'm not ready to put photos up or put onto apollo duck just yet as still prettying, but here is some basic info:

71.5ft long

7ft wide

Built by Harland and Wolff

Large Woolwich Butty - Town Class

Now has a working happy engine

Hydraulic Drive

Surveyed August 2015 - All fine (mostly still 8mm). Blacked at this time too.

Iron riveted hull

Steel live aboard cabin

Boatman's cabin (some original artwork)

Very large cratch area at bow with benches all round

Interior is perfectly suited for living, everything works as it should. Was converted by current owner (my partner) who is a Carpenter/Joiner. Bed arrangements are double in boatman's cabin and 2 singles in middle of boat (we can convert singles into a double easily if required) and sofa also turns into a double. 6 beds in total.

Currently on Kennet and Avon Canal. Get in touch via email if you want to know more, danielleb3@yahoo.com.

Many thanks

Danielle

Edited by danielleb

Motorised butty innit smile.png

I had reached that conclusion, yes - but it's strange that that description was not used anywhere in the sales blurb. Apart from anything else, it would have captured the attention of any boathunters whose eyes glaze over as soon as they see the word "butty".

I had reached that conclusion, yes - but it's strange that that description was not used anywhere in the sales blurb. Apart from anything else, it would have captured the attention of any boathunters whose eyes glaze over as soon as they see the word "butty".

Ah but it isn't an advert is it? The boat is not for sale yet. But if it was for sale and this was an advert, this post would in the wrong section and in breach of the site rules. But it isn't so it isn't, if you get my meaning! It's just a notice that this boat will be coming to market soon.