Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

Also people may be right about it being steel, we always thought it was iron. Though the surveyer seemed to think it was both. Anyway, it's still 8mm in most places which is fab!

And maintaining the pickiness about the hull material, I'd suggest it is 5/16" steel rather than 8mm.

8mm steel being metric was not widely available in the UK until 1970, or thereabouts.

:)

What is it to miss Athy?.......Directly under it says "Now has a working happy engine". It was a Butty back in the day (Paired with ASCOT), I think people are interested in this. And now it is not! :-)

Absolutely.

I hope you achieve a quick sale.

hi i was browsing the web for a narrowboat and came across a very old boat the other day , i do find it sad that once the very old boats are possibly past restoring they are just left to rust away , mind this one did have a Lister engine that ran very nicely the boat name is Rima

We'll be putting ASTON, our Large Woolwich Butty ex working boat up for sale for around £65000 in a month or so. If anyone knows anyone who is seeking an historic boat like this please send then my way. I'm not ready to put photos up or put onto apollo duck just yet as still prettying, but here is some basic info:

71.5ft long

7ft wide

Built by Harland and Wolff

Large Woolwich Butty - Town Class

Now has a working happy engine

Hydraulic Drive

Surveyed August 2015 - All fine (mostly still 8mm). Blacked at this time too.

Iron riveted hull

Steel live aboard cabin

Boatman's cabin (some original artwork)

Very large cratch area at bow with benches all round

Also people may be right about it being steel, we always thought it was iron. Though the surveyer seemed to think it was both. Anyway, it's still 8mm in most places which is fab!

And maintaining the pickiness about the hull material, I'd suggest it is 5/16" steel rather than 8mm.

8mm steel being metric was not widely available in the UK until 1970, or thereabouts.

Well I may be missing something here, but I thought the (steel) "Town class" boats, (whether "Woolwich" or "Northwich"), were originally built with 1/4" (approx 6mm sides), not 5/16" (approx 8mm) sides? Certainly an old survey report for my "Northwich" "Town" indicates 1/4" plate, and I don't recall hearing that the "Woolwich" "Towns" were built thicker than the "Northwich" boats. (As "Woolwich" boats are quoted as being able to carry more, because of the extra buoyancy of the "bluffer" bows, I think this advantage would be negated if the hull sides were thicker).

Do unless I'm missing something, (or simply got the wrong facts), I can't see how the original bits of the sides of "Aston" can be 8mm - it just sounds wrong to me. (Althogh any bits that have been replated, coul'd obviously be thicker).

Are you prepared to say who did the survey?

I'm happy to be corrected if someone can prove that it was actually 5/16" steel used or the sides originally, though - anybody got a copy of the drawings?

Edited by alan_fincher

Well I may be missing something here, but I thought the (steel) "Town class" boats, (whether "Woolwich" or "Northwich"), were originally built with 1/4" (approx 6mm sides), not 5/16" (approx 8mm) sides? Certainly an old survey report for my "Northwich" "Town" indicates 1/4" plate, and I don't recall hearing that the "Woolwich" "Towns" were built thicker than the "Northwich" boats. (As "Woolwich" boats are quoted as being able to carry more, because of the extra buoyancy of the "bluffer" bows, I think this advantage would be negated if the hull sides were thicker).

Do unless I'm missing something, (or simply got the wrong facts), I can't see how the original bits of the sides of "Aston" can be 8mm - it just sounds wrong to me. (Althogh any bits that have been replated, coul'd obviously be thicker).

I'm happy to be corrected if someone can prove that it was actually 5/16" steel used or the sides originally, though - anybody got a copy of the drawings?

The Large Northwich plans I have in front of me say 1/4" for the sides and 5/16" for the bottoms.

hi i was browsing the web for a narrowboat and came across a very old boat the other day , i do find it sad that once the very old boats are possibly past restoring they are just left to rust away , mind this one did have a Lister engine that ran very nicely the boat name is Rima

Welcome decnsue,

Not my observation at all. Narrowboats virtually never get scrapped, they are ALWAYS a 'repairable project' to someone.

When you say you 'came across' RIMA the other day, do you mean it was for sale? How do you know the engine runs very nicely if it is abandoned and rusting away? Just curious.

This perhaps?

Rima Built by Harris Brothers - Length : 11.58 metres ( 38 feet ) - Beam : 2.07 metres ( 6 feet 9 inches ) - Draft : 0.01 metres ( 0 feet ). Metal hull N/A power of 999 HP. Registered with Canal & River Trust number 71762 as a Powered Motor Boat. ( Last updated on Wednesday 22nd May 2013 )

The Large Northwich plans I have in front of me say 1/4" for the sides and 5/16" for the bottoms.

Which matches what I would imply from a survey on our "Large Northwich" - thank you!

I'd be very surprised if "Woolwich" boats differ, and have 5/16" sides. By a quick "fag packet" calculation, I reckon that would add over 3/4 ton to the weight of the boat, which would fly against all anecdotal evidence that a "Woolwich Town" can carry about 1 ton more than the equivalent "Northwich" for the same draught.

So I still can't see how a claim of 8mm for this boat could be correct, (for the hull sides).

Hi Alan,

I believe there has been significant re-plating to this boat in the 1900's (non in the last 15 years since my partner has owned it). If you are interested in her you are welcome to take a look at the survey. I don't claim to know a great deal about historic boats so I cannot confirm why it reads 8mm on many parts of the hull.

I'm wondering if this forum is actually about "the sale of historic boats online" or about ripping apart info that anyone puts on here in order to prove one knows more than the other.

Please do email me if you would like to discuss this boat more. I am happy to chat!

And that goes for others who are interested, my email is danielleb3@yahoo.com.

Kind regards

Danielle

I'm wondering if this forum is actually about "the sale of historic boats online" or about ripping apart info that anyone puts on here in order to prove one knows more than the other.

Danielle,

I think on the whole most people who will have an interest in buying a 1930s ex-working boat will be fairly keen to establish that any information given about it is correct.

Therefore if you are currently implying that the steel thickness the surveyor is quoting is far greater than the boat was originally built with, most likely purchasers would want to know why, (or worse might simply disregard the survey as not up to standard).

I would urge you to spend time to get your facts correct before you place a formal advert. You didn't mention re-plating originally I think, and you should probably specify exactly which bits have, and have not been re-plated, when, and in which thicknesses of steel. Even if not all advertisers do this, it is the kind of thing that nearly all potential purchasers of this type of boat will want to know. The more complete, honest and accurate you are with your description, the more easily you will find a buyer, (in my opinion).

I'm not currently looking for a boat like this, (I have two of this age already), but as your suggested price seems very "top end", you will need to make sure you can back up very claim you make (or someone will "rip apart" what you have advertised). If you check back through this extensive thread, you will see people regularly discuss the detail of the boats for sale, so yours is not being singled out.

I'm wondering if this forum is actually about "the sale of historic boats online" or about ripping apart info that anyone puts on here

This forum, or more specifically this long-running thread, is broad in its scope and has historically (?) included both the elements which you mention., But if for "ripping apart info" you substitute "careful, detailed and pertinent questioning about the boat" you will perhaps have a more accurate picture of what it's about.

Danielle,

I think on the whole most people who will have an interest in buying a 1930s ex-working boat will be fairly keen to establish that any information given about it is correct.

Therefore if you are currently implying that the steel thickness the surveyor is quoting is far greater than the boat was originally built with, most likely purchasers would want to know why, (or worse might simply disregard the survey as not up to standard).

I would urge you to spend time to get your facts correct before you place a formal advert. You didn't mention re-plating originally I think, and you should probably specify exactly which bits have, and have not been re-plated, when, and in which thicknesses of steel. Even if not all advertisers do this, it is the kind of thing that nearly all potential purchasers of this type of boat will want to know. The more complete, honest and accurate you are with your description, the more easily you will find a buyer, (in my opinion).

I'm not currently looking for a boat like this, (I have two of this age already), but as your suggested price seems very "top end", you will need to make sure you can back up very claim you make (or someone will "rip apart" what you have advertised). If you check back through this extensive thread, you will see people regularly discuss the detail of the boats for sale, so yours is not being singled out.

Thanks for your help, I will re-look over the survey and check that I understand clearly. It wasn't solely the post regarding the thickness (I understand this is of vital importance) that made me feel that people where being nitpicky for the sake of it rather than having a genuine interested in the details. There were a few posts previously that seemed pointless. Kind regards

Danielle, I don't think anyone wants to prove anything.

More make sure that your advert contains the right information that anyone looking to buy a historic boat would be looking for.

Thank you, hopefully that is the reason. Regards

There is also the fact that the "Historic Boats For Sale Online" is largely populated by Geeks and Nerds.

We are the boating equivalent of trainspotters (some are even actual trainspotters too!).

I'd love to say more but my anorak needs ironing.

• Greenie 1

Thank you, hopefully that is the reason. Regards

It absolutely IS the reason Danielleb. This sort of stuff is crucially important to people interested in historic boats. And these people are your main target market.

There is also the fact that the "Historic Boats For Sale Online" is largely populated by Geeks and Nerds.

Quite a few Neeks and Gurds, too.

This perhaps?

Rima Built by Harris Brothers - Length : 11.58 metres ( 38 feet ) - Beam : 2.07 metres ( 6 feet 9 inches ) - Draft : 0.01 metres ( 0 feet ). Metal hull N/A power of 999 HP. Registered with Canal & River Trust number 71762 as a Powered Motor Boat. ( Last updated on Wednesday 22nd May 2013 )

Rima was built in 1965. currently on the Staffordshire and worcestershire canal?

Edited by Catnip King

Rima was built in 1965. currently on the Staffordshire and worcestershire canal?

Built in 1965, or converted to a pleasure boat in 1965 ?

The B.W.B. index number can be dated to 1985, but the B.C.N. gauge number on the cabin side can be dated to 1897 (if if belongs to this boat - and it is difficult to read on the photograph I have) captain.gif

Built in 1965, or converted to a pleasure boat in 1965 ?

The B.W.B. index number can be dated to 1985, but the B.C.N. gauge number on the cabin side can be dated to 1897 (if if belongs to this boat - and it is difficult to read on the photograph I have) captain.gif

i have a database like canalplan but its more up to date. Anyhow just shows year of manufacture as 1965 and the draft being 0.62 so just filling in some missing info if its of any use ;)

Is there any further information about the 999hp engine?

Or the draught of 0.01m (0ft) - is that because it's on the bank?

They seem to be Jim Shead's "default" settings when he doesn't have accurate information about the boat in question.

Is there any further information about the 999hp engine?

Or the draught of 0.01m (0ft) - is that because it's on the bank?

Draft is actually 0.62 and there are many boats with engines listed as 999hp. Must just be default on CRT's end as its the data they have shared.