Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

Although not an official term I recognise, I think it means that there is a clear separation between the front of the engine room, and the main cabin accommodation.

I had not realised it was such a boat, until just prompted to go looking for a better photo, but it can be seen clearly here....

baildon-barbridge-apr-2011-IMG_0296.jpg

I'm sure when i looked at her, the fuel filler was on this "Crossway" so i'm assuming it might be part of the fuel tank and inside the bath went underneath it

I once helped out on a trip on Lancing, quite a few years ago now. My most important contribution was to go and ask all the passengers to stand at the front to give us a chance of getting off the bottom. I guess pumping out the water from under what would have been the back cabin floor had the floor been there might have helped, but there presumably wasn't the means to do it.

Glad it's found a new home (and sorry for being a bit slow on the uptake). Are you keeping the PD2?

IAN re-advertised with a reduced price - was £22000 less than one month ago and now £15000 captain.gif

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=490741

I am amazed that the top spike in the guard is still missing and showing a open hole, it has been this way since it was for sale at Stockton. A fatal place to leave exposed and to commence rot, what a plonker not to have had it seen too.

I am amazed that the top spike in the guard is still missing and showing a open hole, it has been this way since it was for sale at Stockton. A fatal place to leave exposed and to commence rot, what a plonker not to have had it seen too.

I don't think there is anything behind the stem iron to hold a spike in place.

Personally I would have filled the cavity with hot Charlie and embedded a spike in that.

I had a similar problem with Lucy's elum but, by the time I got round to doing anything about it there was a pair of Blue Tits nesting in the cavity so I left it.

Didnt take long for them to drop it down. I think they will struggle to sell. If i remember right it needs quite a bit of work.

The planks aren't too bad but the stem post is rotten , the counter block is mush and some bottoms need doing.

It is now a 20 odd year old restoration (though I don't know what the last 2 owners have done to it) so more work will now be needed.

The planks aren't too bad but the stem post is rotten , the counter block is mush and some bottoms need doing.

It is now a 20 odd year old restoration (though I don't know what the last 2 owners have done to it) so more work will now be needed.

There is a floor supporting the value though isn't there? That engine would probably fetch 7-8k on the open market.

But the boat appears to me to be past the point of no-return now, as the last few years of life are squeezed out before it all falls to bits. Otherwise the owners over the past 20 years would have got on with it and maintained it properly surely?

How much work is involved in a new stem post and counter block? The stem post to me sounds particularly tricky. And what would the boat be worth once done?

But the boat appears to me to be past the point of no-return now, as the last few years of life are squeezed out before it all falls to bits. Otherwise the owners over the past 20 years would have got on with it and maintained it properly surely?

Ian is nowhere near the point of no return.

If that was the case Chris Collins would have given up on progress years ago, Roger, Saturn, Ivy, Severn, Raymond (okay bad example) would all be gone.

The work required would be a lot but not too much...certainly less than many ongoing or completed restos and less than other boats out there for similar money.

I think the biggest shame is that the paintwork has been allowed to deteriorate because Ron hough is no longer around to redo it.

If it was my boat it would always be scruffy as I would preserve what remains rather than have it repainted

Edited by carlt

So can you expand on this please, what is your estimate of the time it will take to replace the counter block and stem post, and a few bottom planks, caulk and re-launch?

I suspect the stem post is virtually impossible.

Edit to add:

Having seen the amount of work involved in saving the HESPERUS a couple of years ago, my own personal estimate for IAN would be six months on a dry dock (£5k at say £200 a week), perhaps a further £5k sourcing wood, fixings tar, tools and general expenses, and three or four hundred hours of my own time doing it.

And that is provided I didn't give up on the project and scrap the boat after seeing the extent of the rebuilding of the bow that would be necessary.

I have a feeling if I asked Jem how much to do the lot, he might say £35k.

Although last time I chatted with him about a boat like this he suggested building a new one using the old as a pattern.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

If that was the case Chris Collins would have given up on progress years ago, Roger, Saturn, Ivy, Severn, Raymond (okay bad example) would all be gone.

To which we may add 'Dane', which made its triumphant reappearance at Alvecote this summer. Have you seen her since her relaunch?

So can you expand on this please, what is your estimate of the time it will take to replace the counter block and stem post, and a few bottom planks, caulk and re-launch?

I suspect the stem post is virtually impossible.

Edit to add:

Having seen the amount of work involved in saving the HESPERUS a couple of years ago, my own personal estimate for IAN would be six months on a dry dock (£5k at say £200 a week), perhaps a further £5k sourcing wood, fixings tar, tools and general expenses, and three or four hundred hours of my own time doing it.

I had a good look at Hesperus when it was offered to me for free and Ian is nowhere near as bad as that (and probably still isn't)

Why should a stem post be impossible?

It is a big lump of wood cut to the right shape then put into position. I've helped do a couple and it's a big, skilled job but by no means impossible.

Your docking timescales are quite a bit out but I would hope to have a stem post and counter block largely prepared before going anywhere near a dry dock.

I have a feeling, if you asked Jem, he would say a lot more than £35k but if you asked Ade he would say less (but not a lot less) than £35k. Both would be willing to reduce that bill by you mucking in though.

• Greenie 1

There is a floor supporting the value though isn't there? That engine would probably fetch 7-8k on the open market.

When Ian was up for sale last time I wondered how long it would be before a heap of firewood and a JP2 came onto the market!

I have a feeling, if you asked Jem, he would say a lot more than £35k but if you asked Ade he would say less (but not a lot less) than £35k. Both would be willing to reduce that bill by you mucking in though.

So something like £15k to buy the boat, and then another £35k to spend. And how much would the boat be worth afterwards? Nothing like £50k is my guess.

Worthy of consideration if: -

You were an incurable enthusiast .....

Got hold of it for the value of the engine ....

Negotiated the cost of the works down ...

Then establish an agreement for its future maintenance if only so you can sleep at night for the next few years.

So something like £15k to buy the boat, and then another £35k to spend. And how much would the boat be worth afterwards? Nothing like £50k is my guess.

A: I wouldn't pay £15k for it.

B: I wouldn't spend £35k on restoring it.

C: The post Brexit pound would be a better investment than any wooden boat.

The cost of disposal of the boat if all you want is the engine would make it an undesirable investment unless the intention is to remove the lump then walk away.

Just out of interest how do you get rid of a wooden boat . There's an awful lot of good firewood in one but I suppose an awful lot of metal fastenings too .

I've seen photos of wooden fishing boats just abandoned on the beach with all the valuable bits stripped out.

Static display isn't a bad idea to be honest . Wooden boats are a major commitment and not many people are able or willing to take them on. It would have been a better solution for Some of the wooden wide beam boats slowly decaying while still afloat.