Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

Forward currently listed on Apollo Duck http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=488311

I don't recall seeing it actually sell when it was on brokerage at Braunston for quite a time. It was certainly up for sale this time last year as it was one that I considered but discounted before the viewing stage and I wasn't minded to reconsider it when my initial purchase fell through.

JP

I've seen photos of that interior too (or one like unto it) but I can't remember which boat the artwork "adorned".

EDIT: perhaps the one I saw had adverts for products painted inside it, rather than boat company liveries. Or maybe both.

Edited by Athy

I'm sure I remember seeing a half-butty with the inside of the cabin painted with examples of full signwritten cabinsides, like FMC and SE Barlows. Mooring at Little Venice I thought too.

I thought it was Forward, but if it was, they seem to have gone.

I've seen photos of that interior too (or one like unto it) but I can't remember which boat the artwork "adorned".

EDIT: perhaps the one I saw had adverts for products painted inside it, rather than boat company liveries. Or maybe both.

I've seen it years ago with all the cabin sides painted inside, but can't remember the boat i'm sure it wasn't a butty, for some reason i seem to remember Viv Scragg/Barber owning it or at least one like it before she had Monarch..

Edited by Johnboy770

Many years back when looking for a Butty to pair with "LILY" I asked Joe Gilbert & as he was at the time at Charity Dennis Clarke about "Forward" also at that time at Charity. I think I remember the answer being to the affect that it was a station boat & there were some dark mutterings about the "Keelson" or lack of it/one, so I didn't pursue it further So was never really sure of the problem & ended up with "Crater." It seemed to be for sale on & off at Braunston ( I think Dennis was in charge of the sale) for a good part of the 60's.

I've seen it years ago with all the cabin sides painted inside, but can't remember the boat i'm sure it wasn't a butty, for some reason i seem to remember Viv Scragg/Barber owning it or at least one like it before she had Monarch..

There is a modern(ish) (Jim Forester??) tug style boat called Zulu which has panels as described inside, painted by Kevin Scragg, or so I was told at any rate.

There may well be a similarly decorated old boat, but that's the only one I've seen.

There is a modern(ish) (Jim Forester??) tug style boat called Zulu which has panels as described inside, painted by Kevin Scragg, or so I was told at any rate.

There may well be a similarly decorated old boat, but that's the only one I've seen.

That's probably the boat which I've seen a couple of times at Shackerstone. The chap sells antiques and jumbly bits. I think he tows a butty. I had a chat with him this year but didn't see inside the boat.

No the one i'm thinking of they owned, it was grey in colour the name began with "N"

Edited:- Just remembered Scraggy owned Molly Maguire then theres Zulu on same number 503407 so maybe thats the one i'm thinking of..

Edited by Johnboy770

No the one i'm thinking of they owned, it was grey in colour the name began with "N"

Edited:- Just remembered Scraggy owned Molly Maguire then theres Zulu on same number 503407 so maybe thats the one i'm thinking of..

Well it is grey...

I notice both "Hare" and "Forward" are showing as "sale agreed" on the relevant web-site.

EDIT:

On the other hand "Dover" is "Back on the market due to the previous purchasers’ property deal falling through" at Rugby Boats (£75K)

Edited by alan_fincher

Oquote name="Markinaboat" post="1915222" timestamp="1478726843"]

Lovely boat but poured concrete ballast! Why oh why?

Why ever not? The steel was clean and rust free when the concrete went in and there are millions of structures which depend on the concrete to steel bond.

Not my boat, but I know it fairly well.

N

Edited by BEngo

Oquote name="Markinaboat" post="1915222" timestamp="1478726843"]

Lovely boat but poured concrete ballast! Why oh why?

Why ever not? The steel was clean and rust free when the concrete went in and there are millions of structures which depend on the concrete to steel bond.

Not my boat, but I know it fairly well.

N

Can't water seep in between the two? Guess we're sometimes just used to certain methods. Tis a lovely boat though.

Only if exposed to the air and water. Buried within concrete steel will remain pretty much impervious to corrosion. There are a great many Dutch barges and doubtless others, which use a certain amount of concrete against the steel in hard to reach corners. Even TYCHO has a little around the foot of the stempost/blade where it meets the bottom.

Of course, if it's poured into already corroded bottoms that are inclined to flex, then trouble may occur.

Consider the number of buildings and bridges that are standing today with re-inforced beams and pillars.

ETA: Mind you - if you ever want to get it out for some reason . . . .help.gif

Edited by Derek R.

Only if exposed to the air and water. Buried within concrete steel will remain pretty much impervious to corrosion. There are a great many Dutch barges and doubtless others, which use a certain amount of concrete against the steel in hard to reach corners. Even TYCHO has a little around the foot of the stempost/blade where it meets the bottom.

Of course, if it's poured into already corroded bottoms that are inclined to flex, then trouble may occur.

But what about non-corroded bottoms that may then flex? Or can you get flexible concrete now? frusty.gif

Consider the number of buildings and bridges that are standing today with re-inforced beams and pillars.

Edited by Markinaboat

But what about non-corroded bottoms that may then flex? Or can you get flexible concrete now? frusty.gif

Short answer. Yes.

George ex nb Alton retired