Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

If I remember rightly on building Rudd we worked on a string line from the front edge of the engin 'ole to the back of the cabin had a clearance of 1 3/8"over the joint of the engine 'ole to cabin. Most of the shape comes from the rise and taper of the gunnels.

Tim

The frames are 3' high all along.

Edited by TimYoung

I'm absolutely no expert but it is my understanding that most FMC Back Cabins ran pretty much straight without any kick up towards the counter. The rise in the gunwale gave the illusion that the cabin was tapering towards the counter whereas the cabin roof followed the line of the bottom of the hull. This was certainly the case with Bison in the old pre conversion photos, the illusion was maintained when we replaced the cabin which remains the right height for the original swan neck.

It does look a bit strange when you first see it but I quite like it now!

Andrew

Steam Boat Jason:

post-7043-0-65643200-1481214137_thumb.jpg

From "The NarrowBoat Book" by Tom Chaplin

We looked at fern in 2001 or so and couldn't work out what was wrong compared to peacock and the King. Eventually it dawned a big sweep on the gunnel a slightly low cabin and the panel emphasising it all. That and the over square cabin to the bow combine to make her look squat. It was enough to put us off what is a very fine boat. Eventually passing her on lms Mecca we bought instead confirmed our decision.

• 2 weeks later...

I see that Ian is back

IAN

Despite going to look at IAN 6 or 7 years ago when for sale for £30k, I can't remember if the hold is just plain cargo space or converted in any way. The advert doesn't say.

My guess is the former.

The engine alone must be worth approaching the sale price now...

Despite going to look at IAN 6 or 7 years ago when for sale for £30k, I can't remember if the hold is just plain cargo space or converted in any way. The advert doesn't say.

My guess is the former.

I think it was, (is/?), fairly basic "under cloth conversion", or possibly very basic "under cloth conversion".

In the eighties when Bob Beer still owned IAN he kept it in Aylesbury basin. IAN did have a three quarter length (or thereabouts) top back then with an open well at the fore end. But the 'top'd' section forward of the engine 'ole was mostly glazed like a conservatory from memory. I don't recall what was inside exactly or even vaguely, but the proportions looked good. I do recall Bob winding in the basin on not much more than tickover, and seeing the whole length of the boat wriggle about from tiller movement and gear changing.

My guess is the former.

The engine alone must be worth approaching the sale price now...

Really 15k for an engine and box?? Seen them sell way lower than this last one i saw was around 5k with box there is a lister in bit with box on evay for 200. Edited by billybobbooth

Really 15k for an engine and box?? Seen them sell way lower than this last one i saw was around 5k with box there is a lister in bit with box on evay for 200.

A JP2 commands ridiculous money these days, I thought.

But a quick google suggests 5k second hand in indeterminate condition is perhaps about right.

MPS is flogging one nicely done up for £12k.

http://www.marinepowerservices.co.uk/engines/engines-under-restoration/4-1947-lister-jp2

Having seem the boat in question at rallys, I'm surprised I didn't notice that the deck board is for some reason set back from the normal position.

I'm surprised how "un-wrong" it looks!

498278_1.jpg?1480593638

Edited by alan_fincher