Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

Drool,

I'd love to own that.

However, pictured below alongside it is the reason I'm unlikely to!

IMG_2122.JPG

IMG_2129.JPG

Edited by alan_fincher

Its a nice boat but 50k seams very high.

As a starting price I actually thought it not that bad.

The prices of the few truly lovely historics to ever come on the open market always seem high to me, but this one I thought more realistic than some!

Edited by alan_fincher

Considering that they aren't making any new ones, the price does not look excessive. How often does the opportunity to own a S&L tug come up?

Also, there are very, very few opportunities to buy a shortened working boat that has reasonable accommodation and still remaining fairly true to the original.

Although the cabin on the boat is marginally longer than it was in S&L days, the overall look has largely been preserved.

Te owner of Tug No 2, Jerry, as told us that the back cabin is largely just an extra guest room, as the space forward of the engine room offers complete compact accommodation for 2.

Here are my 1970s photos of her when still in use at Coombeswood..

Stewart__Lloyds_2.jpg

Stewart__Lloyds_1.jpg

Despite her parlous state in those photos, she "sits" just right. It looks as if the original cabin was wooden; from the look of the front bulkhead in the recent snaps, it looks as if it still may be. It's obviously been extended backwards, maybe slightly forwards too?

Not sure I could "sell" the idea of her to Mrs. Athy; the lack of fenestration would be a putter-offer, that and no bloody windows. But I can't see such a splendid-looking compact old boat being on the market for long.

Not sure I could "sell" the idea of her to Mrs. Athy; the lack of fenestration would be a putter-offer, that and no bloody windows.

I dunno - Trojan is hardly fenestrically over endowed. Just tell her to think of it as having curtains that never open.

Tug No 2 benefits from those large twin side doors each side at the front, which can have optional "rain" screens inside. I imagine boating on a nice day with those open must be lovely.

I'm guessing though that some might not like the fact there are no windows or doors to the front, but clearly to be true to it's S&L guise there should not be.

I dunno - Trojan is hardly fenestrically over endowed. Just tell her to think of it as having curtains that never open.

You cunning fellow!

Trojan actually has six fairly large portholes, plus two dog boxes/ pigeon boxes/ things in t'roof with glass in, so she's fairly light inside. Well, on bright days anyway.

I thought you drooled over No3 Vesta Alan?

I do, I do, though last I heard it still didn't have a working engine, which makes it "less droolable".

However Vesta is of almost identical proportions to Sickle, and (these days!) with no extra accommodation, so it wuld make no sense to swap.

Tug No 2, (Algol), on the other hand is actually quite a bit more liveable, particularly if you have two large dogs - the main problem we now have with back cabin boating.

They are all lovely boats, and if it isn't already, I hope Vesta will be back in action soon.

How about defenestration?

Certainly, Sir. Just step over to that open window and look the other way for a moment.

A bit out of fashion nowadays, though it used to be big in Prague.

Edited by Athy

Drool,

I'd love to own that.

However, pictured below alongside it is the reason I'm unlikely to!

If I had a choice between TUG No. 2 (ALGOL) and SICKLE it would easily fall with SICKLE. Even though I appreciate the work that has gone in to the rebuild of TUG No.2 (I know the guy who bought it in 1981 and the quality of his work) I have never seen what others see in this boat. Different things to different people I suppose captain.gif

Although the cabin on the boat is marginally longer than it was in S&L days, the overall look has largely been preserved.

The rebuilt cabin is also a couple of inches higher than when 'in service' according to the owner who rebuilt it captain.gif

Different things to different people I suppose captain.gif

Just as well really, or the ones everybody wants would be unattainable by most of us, and others would never find a loving owner.

For what it is worth, we actually find that Flamingo, despite its cabin conversion, and the need for a great deal of work, seems to attract greater interest from Joe Public than Sickle does. Maybe it's the plain blue thing - I'm not sure?

In my mind, though I love Flamingo to bits, Sickle is just as interesting, and clearly more in "working condition". The odd thing is that other people with GUCCCo boats with cabin conversions have told me they don't get a great deal of interest. We had genuinely not expected the level of interest that Flamingo often generates.

Yes Pete but you like those dustbin boats. smile.png

It is the 'Admirals' I like rather than the 'dustbin boats' ('River Class'), and even then only really those built by Pimblotts. Having said that I did make an enquiry last year after the Yarwood built MOUNTBATTEN, but the owner would not split the pair (paired with JELLICOE) - and as far as I am aware are still for sale.

In my defence I did make enquiry's after the Pimblott built EFFINGHAM earlier in 2016 but I was beaten to it, and I also pursued TYCHO in August 2016 but we could not agree a price captain.gif

Edited by pete harrison