Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

Is it just me or have boat suddenly shot up in asking price over the last year or so? I know they go up a bit but seam to have shot up.

Very few ex working "motors" with a full cabin conversion ever seem to come on the open market. (I'm excluding butty and day boat conversions, and those with an "under cloth" conversion.)

In the year and a half we were looking there were probably only 4 advertised, at least two of which had known issues.

In the two years since we bought Flamingo, I can think of only a couple more openly offered to the world at large.

Others may be available, but you need to know someone who knows someone......

Curiously this boat "Acacia" is one we were tipped off about before we bought Flamingo, but conversations with the owners indicated they were not yet in a position to sell at that time.

I think it is the lack of supply versus demand that is causing prices to be higher than what many people (including me!) consider the boats to be worth, if you thought with your head rather than your heart.

From my memory the question marks about Acacia were:

1) 4 cylinder Gardner - No doubt fine for towing water skiers, but not to my mind a suitable engine in an historic Josher.

2) (I think) Mains electric cooking, but probably without the generationg capacity to run it. (Can't remember detail, other than it sounded impractical for a cruising boat).

Nice looking boat though, with a well proportioned conversion.

Incidentally someone is claiming on Facebook to be the new owner of Dover, although Rugby Boat Sales site still shows as for sale, with no suggestion it is under offer or sold.

I think she may have got mixed up with their other boat, Dory, which is a fish. Mistakes are easily done. Very lovely boat though.

Ah, cross posted.

A good explanation, I reckon.

(It's not the "she" who's name appears though, but the "he"!)

The advert definitely needs more detail, though, and some pictures, something I recall was short in supply when they sold Ladybank.

Incidentally someone is claiming on Facebook to be the new owner of Dover, although Rugby Boat Sales site still shows as for sale, with no suggestion it is under offer or sold.

Yes i've seen this too Alan and your comments biggrin.png

My point David was IF they wanted to sell wouldn't some photographs go a long way to let people who are not HNBC members see Acacia ( and internals )

JMO

Chris

The owners had, I think 3 historic boats, now reduced to two, ( a sensible number, to my mind! :lol:).

I think, having talked to them, the sale of any of the three would probably be classed as a reluctant sale.

Acacia was very much in active use recently, having attended the Alvecote event, for example.

I remember Acacia well, having lettered her in July 1999 at Norton Canes. She was then the home of Francis Beechey and provided inspiration for the bow of Resolute, being tied outside the building shed at the time. The mahogany fit out was the work of Trevor Ward, one of the yard's finest craftsman, a superb woodworker with many other skills too, sadly no longer with us. I have no pictures to post, sorry, nor knowledge of what happened to her after we lost Francis and she was sold. Perhaps someone can add to this....

Dave

She's a pretty little boat and will surely be attracting lots of attention wherever she go's.

Maybe if she's only used for daytrips or bought by fairly short people she would be a good boat.

This : "Aaltje is a boat with limited internal headroom, her tallest point at only 5ft 4in" isn't a comfortable height to live in.

Peter.

She's a pretty little boat and will surely be attracting lots of attention wherever she go's.

Maybe if she's only used for daytrips or bought by fairly short people she would be a good boat.

This : "Aaltje is a boat with limited internal headroom, her tallest point at only 5ft 4in" isn't a comfortable height to live in.

Peter.

If you are only 5'3" like me it would be fine laugh.png

Peter.

To anybody who is used to the back cabins of traditional working boats, that sounds quite generous!

EDITED TO ADD:

Even to a committed narrow boat enthusiast, that really is rather lovely, isn't it?

Edited by alan_fincher

Peter.

John lived in peacock for many years and its not the tallest of boats.

People like john jinks lived on tco boats there very low cabin space