Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

Is my brain faded memory correct that they were built of 6mm Plate from new to keep the weight down or was that "an old boaters tale"

I think 6mm (or 1/4") was not unusual, even in older riveted boats.

Unusually the Middle Northwich boats had their sides specified as only 4/20", so 1/5" (or little over 5mm).

Recent work on Sickle has produced a bit of a mystery on this, because whilst the sides in the rear half of the hold have proved to be 1/5", the repairers were surprised to find all those forward of it and on the bow are actually 1/4". It seems highly likely when it was converted to an ice boat in 1942 (at only 6 or 7 years old) that the whole front had all its 1/5" plate removed and replaced in 1/4". This theory is further supported by each thickness of plate having very different characteristics when cut and welded, and the rivets looking different on what may be the newer plate.

Sorry, nothing to do with Admirals, obviously, but I find it fascinating that the specs or drawings may say one thing, but the reality may prove to be otherwise.

I can say that TYCHO's hull plating was ¼" in the main, and that the fore end was overplated within between the frames, the overplating being riveted in place hence the large number of rivets around the fore end. Note that the overplating did not extend down to the chine.

post-5975-0-68867500-1475134239_thumb.jpg

I fancy any weight saving in the Admiral boats was down to more welding and less rivets, maybe less overplating at butt joints too.

post-5975-0-72628600-1475134523_thumb.jpg

The advert for Hare has been updated to include the possibility of a London mooring at Ponder's End.

I think the price probably remains unchanged but I haven't checked.

Linky.

Looks a remarkably good boat for the money.

The only thing wrong with it I can see is the engine!

Already discussed previously in the thread, I think, but if you are a purist and want as much original boat as possible, then this one probably wouldn't be your top choice.

It was turned into a fairly short hire boat by British Waterways, and the original middle lost, so now it has been re-lengthened to full length, the new straight bit in the middle is possibly nearly as long as the combined length of the two original bits at either end.

(Some might say that's an advantage though - particularly those of us who have recently splashed out lots of cash on having bits of genuine boat replaced!)

Myopic, are we?

The interior does look pretty darned classy, apart from there apparently being no steps for access and egress at either end.

Thanks, Alan, for explaining which parts are original. I guess that if you're only getting half an original boat, then the front and back quarters are the best half to have. Sure an' I do now.

The interior does look pretty darned classy, apart from there apparently being no steps for access and egress at either end.

There are clearly steps up at the back end, and the engine room seems to have been made walk through.

Are we sure the front doesn't have a pair of "cottage style" doors at the top, and a single one at the bottom? This isn't a boat with a tug deck, so I would expect the door to open to under the cloths in part of the original hold, and you would then climb up on seats or whatever from there.

The engine could be changed for a proper narrow boat engine, of course: :lol:

And yes Mr Athy, them Gardener engines is dreadful things I'm sure you'll agree...

So much so that you can't be bothered to learn ho to spell them?

I'm sure Mr Athy recognised me taking the p!sh out of them with my deliberate misspelling, given he has a Gardiner like it in his own bote!

Better than one of they Melvin thingybobs like some folks do have.

Actually, "Melvin the Kelvin" has a certain ring to it, though I'm not sure that Mr. Alnwick would concur.

My other engine is a Gleniffer. LOADS of scope for misspelling there too!

Good suggestion about the Melvin...

Oi hold on a sec, what do you mean 'better'? Melvyn the Kelvyn is clearly superior as he is GREEN!

Are we sure the front doesn't have a pair of "cottage style" doors at the top, and a single one at the bottom?

That's possible, Alan, though the bottom panel doesn't look like an exit door, but more like a cupboard door. Looking at the layout of the galley, I'd suggest that there's a set of steps which have to be removable because, if they weren't, you wouldn't be able to open the fridge door - perhaps a surprising layout in a boat which has such a great deal of interior space.

Good suggestion about the Melvin...

To go with Jennifer the Gleniffer, eh?

Actually, "Melvin the Kelvin" has a certain ring to it, though I'm not sure that Mr. Alnwick would concur.

We've been calling our Kelvin "Melvin" for years.

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=29571&p=515729

and

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=32192&p=569105

It all started when the Stationery Engine magazine did a feature on Kelvin engines. I've no idea when they took a photo of our engine, but on the front cover of the magazine, in large type, it referred to Melvin engines and the name stuck.

That's possible, Alan, though the bottom panel doesn't look like an exit door, but more like a cupboard door. Looking at the layout of the galley, I'd suggest that there's a set of steps which have to be removable because, if they weren't, you wouldn't be able to open the fridge door - perhaps a surprising layout in a boat which has such a great deal of interior space.

To go with Jennifer the Gleniffer, eh?

Ahem. Jeniffer!

Her name is called JENIFFER!! :D

Ahem. Jeniffer!

Her name is called JENIFFER!! biggrin.png

What is the Skandia currently called then?

(Or if you actually told us what you call it, would it result in an instant ban from CWDF?)

What is the Skandia currently called then?

(Or if you actually told us what you call it, would it result in an instant ban from CWDF?)

Yes its called a noisy bar steward and it's coming out when Richard finishes fixing Jeniffer unless I find a solution in the meantime!

Yes its called a noisy bar steward and it's coming out when Richard finishes fixing Jeniffer unless I find a solution in the meantime!

You not enjoying having a big single lump?

You not thought of puiing a 4inch exhaust on with a lorry silancer running across the roof and out? £5 says i can make it quieter!

There are three things I can see that are 'wrong':

1 - HARE was never fitted with a fore cabin.

2 - F.M.C. Ltd. fore cabins did not have 'Yarwoods' G.U.C.C.Co. Ltd. type handrails.

3 - HARE is a 'Josher' (which is clearly unappealing when there are nice 'Grand Unions' about).

But each to their own captain.gif

There are three things I can see that are 'wrong':

1 - HARE was never fitted with a fore cabin.

2 - F.M.C. Ltd. fore cabins did not have 'Yarwoods' G.U.C.C.Co. Ltd. type handrails.

3 - HARE is a 'Josher' (which is clearly unappealing when there are nice 'Grand Unions' about).

But each to their own captain.gif

4) And the chimney collar for the Squirrel is leaking!......

You not enjoying having a big single lump?

You not thought of puiing a 4inch exhaust on with a lorry silancer running across the roof and out? £5 says i can make it quieter!

Reducing the diameter to 4" lwill make it worse, don'tcher think?

But yes a lorry silencer had crossed my mind, but fitting it in will be a right load of trouble...

Yes enjoying the engine in principle but not enjoying the noise. You're welcome to have a bash at fitting a lorry silencer if you're serious. Happy to shell out more than £5 too if you can improve it!

Ill pm you but im happy to look it all comes down to the space you have. Youll never get a small semi like that to be as quiet as say a jp2 but you can get them down to a low note.

The way i would do it is out the stock silancer into a lorry one the out threw the roof threw a big exhaust.

I thought your exhaust collar that was fitted was smaller than a bolinder one?

Edited by billybobbooth