Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Despite my frequently declared love of Vesta, I am happy to confirm that any sale was not to me!

Nor me.

I'm just happy to live in a world with Vesta in it. 

P.S. Alan, and SICKLE too.

Spelling it "Bantoch", then"Banntock"?

I suspect this seller doesn't really know much about his boat. 

Nice looking shell but a BMC? Shame about the bus windows, too! 

Edited by MtB

Its quite a nice boat. They kept the good bits of the front and as I recall the stern was quite well executed as well. As long as it is narrow it seems a nice boat for someone. 

Nothing wrong with a good BMC diesel engine in a boat. 

Ideally originally having been a horse boat it should be electric for the quiet. 

Very narrow gunnels there. 

9 hours ago, magnetman said:

Its quite a nice boat. They kept the good bits of the front and as I recall the stern was quite well executed as well. As long as it is narrow it seems a nice boat for someone. 

Nothing wrong with a good BMC diesel engine in a boat. 

Ideally originally having been a horse boat it should be electric for the quiet. 

Very narrow gunnels there. 

Isn't @Goliath a Bantock with a BMC engine

Goliath is definitely a Bantock fore end not sure what engine. 

Lovely bows on those boats. I briefly owned a full length motorised horse boat with both original ends still on it. Same bows 'Mark 1 Bantock'. 

Beautiful boat as I understand it its still in one piece and turned out to be one of the earliest motorised narrow boats. 

I couldn't face putting a steel top on it as it would spoil it too much. I think its at Roger Fuller's yard unconverted currently. Saved from the gas axe. 

I put this cabin on it. Obviously it was too much of a shed but it was quite nice in a way. Plywood under covers. 

Big Petter Air cooled 4 in there and original wooden elum on the back. A majestic boat that was. 

2087_ORIANNE_2.jpg

2087_ORIANNE_5.jpg

Yes my cabin was a bodge. Not a craftsman !!! 

Better than ruining it with a steel lid though. 

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, magnetman said:

2087_ORIANNE_5.jpg

Yes my cabin was a bodge. Not a craftsman !!! 

Better than ruining it with a steel lid though. 

Hey there's a railway on that dock! Do trains still run on it?

Where is it?!

Edited by MtB

6 hours ago, Tim Lewis said:

On watching that right through, I suggest it is hard to claim that typical members of the historic narrow  boating community are actually of sound mind!

I particularly liked the Fuller twins in charge of the pump trolley and then later the double headed diesels.

I think I knew which was roger, and which  Martin, but I certainly am not 100% definite.

15 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

On watching that right through, I suggest it is hard to claim that typical members of the historic narrow  boating community are actually of sound mind!

I particularly liked the Fuller twins in charge of the pump trolley and then later the double headed diesels.

I think I knew which was roger, and which  Martin, but I certainly am not 100% definite.

I was chatting to one of the brothers last November at Glascote Yard and on enquiring which of the brothers I was talking to the reply, “I’m Roger today, I might be Martin tomorrow.”

Edited by Ray T

Without being too direct about which one, I went to see a boat posted here a couple of months ago (large woolwich at braunston - not badsey). Beautiful boat. I fell in love instantly. I was ready to go through the heartache of selling my first boat.

But I continued my due diligence. Everything was seeming fine until I found the first bilge access hatch. It had recently been painted over so it was hard to get up but I managed it (I'm glad these proper brokers just give you the keys and let you do what you need to do). It was wet. I then found the access at the bulkhead between the front and rear bilges. Full of water. Not what you want to see, as you begin to question how long it might have been rotting from the inside.

I then go back into the beautiful (recently painted) engine room. I find my way into that bilge. Literally a sump full of oil in there. Given that the info I can find online seems to suggest this JP2 was probably last rebuilt in the 80s, I think it's probably given up.

The boat was for sale a couple of years ago, so I wonder if the current owners got in over their heads, slapped a coat of paint on the thing and are trying to recoup their money. But one wonders why they wouldn't mop up those messes - unless the leaks are so bad that it's happened while it's sat on brokerage.

These things are sortable, but the current price is not reflective of that. I'm not sure they would take well to being offered 20k less (at this point)

But I am now certain that I am after a large guccc undercloth conversion. Anyone want to sell me one? 🙃 I'd entertain going to see Cyprus but it'd be a real shame to split it up from it's original butty....

Edited by DShK

Not under cloths but that Bognor out of water on the Lea might be interesting. 

The owner took it as payment for some work. Needs close looking at but if it was cheap it might be a deconversion candidate if you want under cloths conversion. 

I'd keep the cabin in fact I'd quite like to shorten it to 45-50ft and make a tug.

Not sure how good a big boat would be for that though.