Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

On 06/06/2023 at 14:43, Tim Lewis said:

Report in June 1960 edition of the BWB magazine ‘waterways’. 

IMG_2077.jpeg

That is pure gold! 

I wonder if you would be so kind as to mail me with a scan of that if you don't mind? 

I need to try and get hold of a copy of that one now don't I?

On 05/06/2023 at 22:22, John Brightley said:

One of the Birmingham booklets is now for sale here:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175758581192

John, thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction. I have a search saved on ebay for this but for whatever reason it did not pick this up. 

I placed an initial bid (£3.50) on it regardless but contacted the seller to ask if it had details of Water Viper in it to be certain. He came back saying it did and suggesting I were free to make a buy-it-now offer if I had perhaps previously hired the boat. I was a little hesitant to admit to owning the boat because I thought the price might just skyrocket if I did but went back to explain we owned the boat and had been after the booklet for a while as we already had the photos from Ellesmere Port archives but no context to go with them. I also explained that in our view the booklet formed part of the heritage of the boat and, once purchased would stay with the boat if ever we decided to sell it in future. I asked him what sort of figure he would be prepared to accept for the booklet and the next thing I knew he had accepted my initial £3.50 starting bid! 

It arrived and is absolutely beautiful 

347409771_743345097794175_75951556125347

347403179_743345147794170_25292566821154

Loads of information in there too. We could have hired Water Viper for £32 a week in peak season and a Cruising licence for a powered vessel over 50' was £16 a year, unless you lived aboard when it would set you back £38 a year. 

• Greenie 3

Nice to see the world's greatest gas cooker. 

One of my boats has a Calor B600. Lovely thing to cook with.  That one looks a tiny bit different but basically the same thing. 

• Love 1

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

So the liveaboard CCer paying a premium licence rate is nothing new then!

AND this sets a precedent for suspending enforcement of a bye law in return for additional payment.

I think this is being read incorrectly.

The information showing different prices for residential boats is in the section headed “Mooring Licences”.

The cost of cruising licences is in the first table and does not differentiate between leisure craft and residential craft.

Or did you have to purchase a mooring licence?

Edited by Captain Pegg

I think you will find there is a difference between yearly mooring licences for -

NON residential as for over 50' £12 a year,

Residential over 50' - £38. (It's on Page 27).

What is not clear, is whether having acquired a residential licence, it covers for cruising as well. Though I fancy it would have covered cruising under the residential category.

43 minutes ago, Derek R. said:

I think you will find there is a difference between yearly mooring licences for -

NON residential as for over 50' £12 a year,

Residential over 50' - £38. (It's on Page 27).

What is not clear, is whether having acquired a residential licence, it covers for cruising as well. Though I fancy it would have covered cruising under the residential category.

Yes. But no difference for cruising licences which means that there is no direct precedence for what CRT may be about to introduce.

10 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

Yes. But no difference for cruising licences which means that there is no direct precedence for what CRT may be about to introduce.

Yes, my reference was to 'back then'. As to what is coming down the 'pipe' today (in so many walks of life) will likely be unpalatable.

1 hour ago, DShK said:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/CanalMarketPlace/permalink/3562917567321706/

1906 Wooden Butty "Clara" for sale - £25K.

I bet owning a wooden boat is a lot of work, it'd be cool to see the cabin chopped off and see this restored to pair with a working boat.

Clara is a unique boat being the only surviving Shroppie fly boat, and as nice as it would be seeing her as a working par again, so much of her history is as a cabinned boat and i feel it is important to retain that rather than remove. So many boats are returned to "original", whatever that may be, and large chunks of boat history is lost. Having said that, any new potential owner is entitled to do as they wish with her, and, subject to the works completed, and whatever work needs to be done, she could be a good price. Wooden boat ownership is absolutely fine, as long as maintenance is kept on top of.

Kind regards

Dan

• Greenie 3

19 hours ago, stagedamager said:

Clara is a unique boat being the only surviving Shroppie fly boat, and as nice as it would be seeing her as a working par again, so much of her history is as a cabinned boat and i feel it is important to retain that rather than remove. So many boats are returned to "original", whatever that may be, and large chunks of boat history is lost. Having said that, any new potential owner is entitled to do as they wish with her, and, subject to the works completed, and whatever work needs to be done, she could be a good price. Wooden boat ownership is absolutely fine, as long as maintenance is kept on top of.

Kind regards

Dan

Saturn?

• Happy 1

There was a motorised butty around in the sixties owned by a Reverend Hayter. I think this one came from the Samuel Barlow fleet, possibly originally built by Tooley's. From the picture above I am uncertain if this is the  S.U.C. fly boat Clara

On 25/02/2013 at 19:59, alan_fincher said:

An unusually large number of historic boats on the open market at the moment.

Often they don't get publicly advertised.

These are I think all fairly recent additions....

Butty "Taurus" (Price includes "Free" Roger Fuller motor "Snipe"! - Hotel boats)

"Andromeda"

"Lancing" (Trip Boat)

"Sharpness"

These have all been around a while, I think - try an offer!

"Cambourne"

"Hawkesbury"

"Bletchley" & "Argus"

Butty "Lyra"

"Seaford"

"Mountbatten" & "Jellicoe"

Wow) great!

8 hours ago, Ogwr said:

There was a motorised butty around in the sixties owned by a Reverend Hayter. I think this one came from the Samuel Barlow fleet, possibly originally built by Tooley's. From the picture above I am uncertain if this is the  S.U.C. fly boat Clara

Here's a slightly less flattering recent photo of Clara, taken by myself.  Maybe that will help.

20230520_160339.jpg

16 hours ago, max's son said:

Someone told me Vesta is (was) for sale. do not tell Alan Fincher

I  have already been told in no uncertain terms whatsoever that it is an absolute NO!

Shame really, but I think pushing my luck would result in having nobody to crew it with.

As you suggest, this alongside the one I currently own are my two all time favourite tugs.