Good new prog C4 @4pm, weekdays, about Living On Canal and waterways

LEO

Featured Posts

As said, C4 at 4.00pm weekdays - living of the waterways..............bound to get things 'rocking' - taking over from 'Bargain Brits in the Sun'....

Edited by LEO
  • Greenie 1

• LEO changed the title to Good new prog C4 @4pm, weekdays, about Living On Canal and waterways
1 hour ago, LEO said:

As said, C4 at 4.00pm weekdays - living of the waterways..............bound to get things 'rocking' - taking over from 'Bargain Brits in the Sun'....

I'm surprised it isn't titled "Bargain Loving Brits on the Cut" :)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Yet another programme to never look at!!

An interesting turn of phrase. My parents-in-Law would never say they watch a telly programme like normal people, they would always look at it. 

But then who want's to be normal anyway??!! :D

• Happy 1

23 hours ago, MtB said:

An interesting turn of phrase. My parents-in-Law would never say they watch a telly programme like normal people, they would always look at it. 

:D

When I used to teach English abroad one of my students once asked me what the difference was between the verbs watch and look at in terms of how they're used.

I thought for a second and said they're interchangeable but in general we watch something that's moving and we look at something that isn't. So we look at a painting but we watch a film.

I don't know if there's any validity in that explanation but it seemed to make sense to me at the time.

Edited by blackrose

13 hours ago, blackrose said:

When I used to teach English abroad one of my students once asked me what the difference was between the verbs watch and look at in terms of how they're used.

I thought for a second and said they're interchangeable but in general we watch something that's moving and we look at something that isn't. So we look at a painting but we watch a film.

I don't know if there's any validity in that explanation but it seemed to make sense to me at the time.

Which would explain why a clock on your wrist is called a watch, because it moves as you do, while to clock something means to look at or see it, and a clock stays where it is.

Apart from my cuckoo clock, which fell of the wall when I threw a shoe at it when it cuckooed fourteen times at two pm.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Apart from my cuckoo clock, which fell of the wall when I threw a shoe at it when it cuckooed fourteen times at two pm.

Obviously an army cuckoo. A navy cuckoo would have rung 4 bells.

• Happy 1
  • Haha 1

On 27/04/2024 at 16:08, cuthound said:

I'm surprised it isn't titled "Bargain Loving Brits on the Cut" :)

Looking at some of the cast, their new boats cost well in excess of £200k, the boys that had an Oakhams boat and apparently have had nothing but trouble with it. Also a couple that say they sold everything to live on the boat and continuous cruise, but put their boat in a marina Nov-May and go home and have holidays abroad, with no photos of boating on their Instagram during this time. It will be interesting to see how many actually tell the facts/truth on National TV. 

56 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Which would explain why a clock on your wrist is called a watch, because it moves as you do, while to clock something means to look at or see it, and a clock stays where it is.

You are obviously not a clock watcher.

59 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Why didn't you use your trombone to just knock it off the wall without getting out of bed?

Oh dear, I've just made the assumption you sleep with your trombone... 😉 

1 hour ago, IanD said:

Why didn't you use your trombone to just knock it off the wall without getting out of bed?

Oh dear, I've just made the assumption you sleep with your trombone... 😉 

There could be that many innuendos with regards to sleeping with a member of the Horn section or blowing said member, that the thread could turn in to a bigger Joke Thread then the Ch4 programme/participants the Thread is about🎺🎺🎺

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

There could be that many innuendos with regards to sleeping with a member of the Horn section or blowing said member, that the thread could turn in to a bigger Joke Thread then the Ch4 programme/participants the Thread is about🎺🎺🎺

Especially if you play the kind of instrument that roughly doubles in length when in use... 😉 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, IanD said:

Especially if you play the kind of instrument that roughly doubles in length when in use... 😉 

Not an issue with the other half's penny whistle (YES he really does play one)! 😄

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, MrsM said:

Not an issue with the other half's penny whistle (YES he really does play one)! 😄

Friend of mine used to carry a penny whistle, he'd occasionally get it out of his pocket to play, we'd then throw things at him until he stopped :D 

1 hour ago, Hudds Lad said:

Friend of mine used to carry a penny whistle, he'd occasionally get it out of his pocket to play, we'd then throw things at him until he stopped :D 

Could be worse... 😉

tune.jpg

Edited by IanD
  • Haha 3

It was better than I feared it would be.  There are still lots of muppets on the canals! 

Send her a decent screwdriver and show her how to simply backwash the mud box.

Pizza looked appetising.

Vision in white for another boat, how is she going to get in/out with a king size bed?

It was entertaining enough, but it really irked me that the woman with the raw water cooled boat that did not have a screwdriver, set off from the centre of Manchester bound for Llangollen, turned left (as expected) at Waters meeting, and then was on the Leeds Liverpool canal doing 2 swing bridges and a lock before mooring up in Parbold facing in the direction of Wigan.  

I can only assume that perhaps she started from Rufford, and went into Manchester and turned (it actually showed her turning in Manchester) before heading off to Llangollen, but they just decided to fake it, and have her start in Manchester, but why does that look better at the expense of facts?

Rant over!