Any pictures of motorised butties?

Featured Posts

I am putting the finishing touches to a book called Hampton, the story of a butty, which will be a companion to Owl, the story of a Josher.

Hampton is motorised and I am looking for pictures of other motorised butties which show the various methods that have been used – e.g .with cut away back ends with swims, anti-cavitation plates, motors in the ellum, bolted on outboards etc.

Obviously, I would need permission to use any image, which will be duly acknowledged.

Many thanks for any help you can give.

This is what we've done to Hampton with a hydraulic motor in the ellum.

Has anyone successfully managed to put electric propulsion in a butty?

P1210211.JPG

4 hours ago, koukouvagia said:

I am putting the finishing touches to a book called Hampton, the story of a butty, which will be a companion to Owl, the story of a Josher.

Hampton is motorised and I am looking for pictures of other motorised butties which show the various methods that have been used – e.g .with cut away back ends with swims, anti-cavitation plates, motors in the ellum, bolted on outboards etc.

Obviously, I would need permission to use any image, which will be duly acknowledged.

P1210211.JPG

I believe the "Birdswood" is electrically powered.......

• Greenie 1

30 minutes ago, archie57 said:

I believe the "Birdswood" is electrically powered.......

As I understand it - and I may be wrong - Birdswood used to have a diesel engine driving an hydraulic motor built into the rudder,  rather like Hampton.  For environmental reasons the diesel engine had to be replaced by an electric motor.  So it now has a unique electric/hydraulic sytem?

I am hoping for some pictures of these motorised butties showing what they look like below the waterline.

I think Kew has been sold and the work has possibly been done since the sale? 

Theres Nebulae which I believe is now motorless but was fitted with one in the past. I suspect the current owners may have some before pictures that are needed here? 

IMG_8549.thumb.jpeg.53acd0e4d836800c529081f064557b11.jpeg

• Greenie 1

11 hours ago, koukouvagia said:

P1210211.JPG

Nebulae at Canalway Cavalcade in 1996

A few more here:

317 Nebulae

Tim

123 Canalway Cavalcade 4th May 1996.jpg

Edited by Tim Lewis
  • Greenie 1

Hagley has the cavitation plates and stern tube fitted, although it has never actually had the engine installed. @Ben Jameson may well have photos. I based them on the ones on Samson which I have photos of if you would like them, although it is a former horse-drawn ice boat rather than a butty.

Alec

4 hours ago, Stroudwater1 said:

I think Kew has been sold and the work has possibly been done since the sale? 

Theres Nebulae which I believe is now motorless but was fitted with one in the past. I suspect the current owners may have some before pictures that are needed here? 

IMG_8549.thumb.jpeg.53acd0e4d836800c529081f064557b11.jpeg

I'll ask him in the morning as hes doing my BSS for me..

• Greenie 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Derek R. said:

CAPELLA had an inboard engine with hydraulic drive to the stern. Don't recall the details but 'Admiral' will have them.

Capella was fitted with the hydraulic drive in the ellum by WFBCo.  Hampton was also fitted with the same system a few years later at WFBCo.  The replica steel rudder was fabricated by Ken Freeman.

2 hours ago, Tim Lewis said:

Nebulae at Canalway Cavalcade in 1996

A few more here:

317 Nebulae

Tim

I'd be very interested to see what Nebulae looked like below the water line.  How much of the stern was cut away to accommodate the propeller?  Did it have anti cavitation (ventilation) plates, I wonder?

Edited by koukouvagia

Benbow an Admiralty class  built I believe with a counter stern, converted and motorised for James Yates 1965/66 by Malcolm Braine, Sorry no picture

11 hours ago, koukouvagia said:

Capella was fitted with the hydraulic drive in the ellum by WFBCo. 

I don't think this is the case.

IIRC Capella's replacement ellum and hydraulic drive were fabricated in Aylesbury basin  by Tony Harmer, as part of the process of putting a cabin on and moving from ' The Lady Val' To Capella.  I  remember being shwn progress and was surprised that all the 'fixed' pipework was run in hydraulic hose rather than rigid pipework and fittings.

WFBC may well have  provided advice.  I know John Pattle  was involved to some extent in the hydraulic equipment choices.

Sue Cawson or Judith Clegg  may well have  some photos of 'Renown'.  That has a stern tube and ventilation plates with an SR3 under the hatches.  I think it was lifted more than once as part of the Aylesbury lift-outs,  so there should be photos of that around

N

Edited by BEngo
Add last para
  • Greenie 1

On 11/03/2024 at 22:36, PaulJ said:

I'll ask him in the morning as hes doing my BSS for me..

Here’s the best picture of Nebulae’s swim I  can find. The stern tube is not longer there and has been welded up, the swim remains. 
It was motorised using a 4 cylinder Perkins positioned in the port rear side of the hold with hydraulic drive to the stern gear which has now all been removed.

IMG_8144.png

• Greenie 4