Willeymoor Lock Pub

PCSB

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, IanD said:

it's a family-run pub in the middle of nowhere, and like many others isn't going to keep the kitchen (or the bar!) open with no custom.

Last year we stopped at the pub in Wilstone on the Aylesbury Arm. I think there were only a couple of other people in when we arrived on a midweek evening and none when we left. The lady behind the bar explained that after covid the lunchtime and weekend food trade had recovered well and they provided a full kitchen service, but weekday evenings were very quiet. So they had invested in a pizza oven and a stack of frozen pizzas. That enabled the single member of staff on duty to provide a basic hot food service without the need to keep the kitchen open. And the benefit was that we got a meal, and the pub kept four of us in for a good few pints.

• Greenie 2

25 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Last year we stopped at the pub in Wilstone on the Aylesbury Arm. I think there were only a couple of other people in when we arrived on a midweek evening and none when we left. The lady behind the bar explained that after covid the lunchtime and weekend food trade had recovered well and they provided a full kitchen service, but weekday evenings were very quiet. So they had invested in a pizza oven and a stack of frozen pizzas. That enabled the single member of staff on duty to provide a basic hot food service without the need to keep the kitchen open. And the benefit was that we got a meal, and the pub kept four of us in for a good few pints.

That's a good idea, might work for somewhere like the Willeymoor too 🙂

25 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I beg your pardon, tell me what untruth I have uttered. 

You weren't honest about *why* you couldn't get food, you just moaned about having to make do with crisps and that it was all the pub's fault. Hence "economical with the truth" -- literally accurate, for once... 🙂

Not for the first time either, you posted exactly the same complaint last time the same pub came up on CWDF -- and I pulled you up then for the same reason.

Edited by IanD

I didn't want to trigger any arguments but do appreciate the feedback.

I can understand the desire to keep pubs open, especially canalside. Sadly the Cotton Arms in Wrenbury is now closed with planning permission being applied for, if not yet granted, to convert and build dwelling houses :( 

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, IanD said:

That's a good idea, might work for somewhere like the Willeymoor too 🙂

You weren't honest about *why* you couldn't get food, you just moaned about having to make do with crisps and that it was all the pub's fault. Hence "economical with the truth" -- literally accurate, for once... 🙂

Not for the first time either, you posted exactly the same complaint last time the same pub came up on CWDF -- and I pulled you up then for the same reason.

Cretin.

We couldn't get food because it was late and they were too ignorant to understand what good service is all about.

I have never denied that it was late.

Ian get out of my face =, I am really not in the mood to converse with a male twit.

18 minutes ago, PCSB said:

I didn't want to trigger any arguments but do appreciate the feedback.

I can understand the desire to keep pubs open, especially canalside. Sadly the Cotton Arms in Wrenbury is now closed with planning permission being applied for, if not yet granted, to convert and build dwelling houses :( 

What has happened to the Jack Mitton

We were in there last June - beer was good and they happily swapped out a pint which was a bit on the edge (it was towards the bottom of the barrel). Food was basic pub food but good. Have never had a problem there not even back in September 2020

34 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

What has happened to the Jack Mitton

It just seems to be sitting there derelict which is odd

Edited by StephenA
  • Greenie 1

I haven't been to this particular pub, but I don't understand the attitude that if you get a poor meal, you should give them a second chance. If I pay full price for a poor meal that's the only chance they get, and if it is complete rubbish they don't get paid.

We ate there last summer, and has been said, they standard pub meals at a standard price. With limited moorings, and in the middle of nowhere, they don't exactly have a large catchment for clientele. 

On many canals, there is little 'fine dining' for the same reasons, and a lot of boaters aren't exactly big spenders, but like to occupy the convenient moorings.

Since Covid, there has been a big change in catering outlets, and the fabled'cost of living crisis' hasn't helped. 

• Greenie 1

Doesn't the Willeymoor have a big campsite across the bridge from it? Surely they must get trade from there?

If you have an irrational fear of Toby Jugs and novelty teapots, this is not the pub for you :) 

• Happy 1

37 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

Doesn't the Willeymoor have a big campsite across the bridge from it? Surely they must get trade from there?

If you have an irrational fear of Toby Jugs and novelty teapots, this is not the pub for you :) 

From talking to them a couple of years ago a lot of their custom isn't from the canal

11 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

The Cotton Arms has a big campsite behind it but seemingly that isn't enough to keep it going. On our last visit no food was available and the bar staff suggested we go over the road.

11 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Jack Mitton. Horrible experience in there. I think the building is nye on derelict now.

Last time we went in there it was cold and the food selection was poor (but the food was ok). Then it just seemed to close and now its just sitting there rotting. For a while there were a lot of aluminium beer kegs just lying around.

Given the number of boats on the canal and how busy the other canalside pubs with lots of moorings are (Poachers Pocket etc) you would have thought someone would have taken it on and made it a going concern

• Greenie 1

When we last stopped at the Jack Mitton, admittedly 2006, the food and service were excellent and it was busy. Cant understand why its been left to fall into such a poor state. The Willeymoor beer has always been okay food average but often not being served when we arrive. The Cotton Arms is  big loss.

We visited Willeymoor Lock Tavern last autumn - they accommodated a party of nine at short notice and the food was perfectly acceptable - definitely basic pub but the price reflected that. It was certainly good enough to choose to stop at on the way back down. However, that was the mistake as there is an issue/feature which is worth being aware of.

The pub is in a very isolated location, with no parking other than the pub car park itself. The lane to the pub has signs indicating that it is a private drive and that joins the A49 which is a busy road with no lay-bys.

Suffice to say that the pub staff appear to take a very strict interpretation around people using their car park only when they are at the pub, so if you had friends visiting overnight and you all ate at the pub and then stayed on your boat, or if you needed to do a car shuffle, or if you drove out to the pub, had a couple of pints and decided it would be a good idea to get a taxi back and pick up the car the next morning, or you went to the pub and then fancied going for a stroll along the towpath before heading off, or anything else which is not a strict interpretation of 'customer of the pub' then you may not end up having a positive or enjoyable experience. Since there is nowhere else to park a car nearby, it would probably be advisable to choose somewhere else.

Alec

5 minutes ago, agg221 said:

We visited Willeymoor Lock Tavern last autumn - they accommodated a party of nine at short notice and the food was perfectly acceptable - definitely basic pub but the price reflected that. It was certainly good enough to choose to stop at on the way back down. However, that was the mistake as there is an issue/feature which is worth being aware of.

The pub is in a very isolated location, with no parking other than the pub car park itself. The lane to the pub has signs indicating that it is a private drive and that joins the A49 which is a busy road with no lay-bys.

Suffice to say that the pub staff appear to take a very strict interpretation around people using their car park only when they are at the pub, so if you had friends visiting overnight and you all ate at the pub and then stayed on your boat, or if you needed to do a car shuffle, or if you drove out to the pub, had a couple of pints and decided it would be a good idea to get a taxi back and pick up the car the next morning, or you went to the pub and then fancied going for a stroll along the towpath before heading off, or anything else which is not a strict interpretation of 'customer of the pub' then you may not end up having a positive or enjoyable experience. Since there is nowhere else to park a car nearby, it would probably be advisable to choose somewhere else.

Alec

Isn't that normal for most pub car parks. If I wanted to leave a car in a pub car park overnight I always ask the pub staff. 

• Greenie 1

Just now, Tonka said:

Isn't that normal for most pub car parks. If I wanted to leave a car in a pub car park overnight I always ask the pub staff. 

Yes, but most pubs say yes if asked, or if they say no you have other options for parking in the vicinity.

Alec

17 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Cretin.

We couldn't get food because it was late and they were too ignorant to understand what good service is all about.

I have never denied that it was late.

Ian get out of my face =, I am really not in the mood to converse with a male twit.

If you spoke to them like you post on here -- after turning up and demanding food after the kitchen had closed -- then I'm not surprised you got a cool reception. I talked to them like they were human beings not servants and I found them very friendly and helpful.

And since you didn't eat there and the OPs request was specifically about the food, why are you still posting?

1 hour ago, Midnight said:

When we last stopped at the Jack Mitton, admittedly 2006, the food and service were excellent and it was busy. Cant understand why its been left to fall into such a poor state. The Willeymoor beer has always been okay food average but often not being served when we arrive. The Cotton Arms is  big loss.

Same experience at the Jack Mitton a couple of years after you, excellent food and lots of very nice beer -- Salopian Oracle IIRC.

Sad to see the state it was in last time we went past, another lost pub on a stretch of canal not exactly over-endowed with them.

Same comment about the Cotton Arms... 😞

Edited by IanD
  • Greenie 2
  • Unimpressed 1

The conclusion from most posts (and other reviews) seems to be that the Willeymoor has decent pub grub and good beer -- but note that opening hours (especially kitchen!) are currently shorter than normal. It's hardly difficult to find this out though... 😉

https://www.willeymoorlock.co.uk/

PUB AND KITCHEN OPENING TIMES
We do not open all day ! 
As a small family run pub we keep traditional pub hours, closing every afternoon between 3pm and 6pm even during the summer months.
Our kitchen is open 12pm - 2pm and 6pm - 8:30pm

EDIT 20-10-2023 
NOTICE OF WINTER OPENING HOURS
from NOVEMBER 6th 2023 the pub be closed on Mondays and Tuesdays until mid February 2024

Edited by IanD

2 hours ago, Midnight said:

That was my view as well