Willeymoor Lock Pub

PCSB

Featured Posts

7 minutes ago, PCSB said:

Anyone been recently? Last year when we went in the beer was decent but the food was dire, anyone eaten in there recently and if so how was the food?

TIA,

Paul.

If it's still the same family running it I'm surprised -- when we went in (twice...) in 2022 it was pretty good basic pub grub, mum/auntie (not clear which...) was doing the cooking because they couldn't get a chef in. Maybe it's changed hands (unlikely?) or they've got a not-very-good chef in?

10 minutes ago, IanD said:

If it's still the same family running it I'm surprised -- when we went in (twice...) in 2022 it was pretty good basic pub grub, mum/auntie (not clear which...) was doing the cooking because they couldn't get a chef in. Maybe it's changed hands (unlikely?) or they've got a not-very-good chef in?

It may have been because they had only very recently re-opened, it wasn't at all busy.

We ate there in September last. I was somewhat less than whelmed. Quite a few folk obviously off boats in there, but if there were any locals I didn't spot them. My guess would be that the location and transient nature of the clientele means they don't need to try too hard and any extra effort would be hard to justify as it would not figure on their balance sheet in any positive way.

5 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

We tried to eat there once, too time obsessed to be bothered to sell us anything but crisps and drink. Shall never go back.

Didn't you turn up at/close to kitchen closing time? 😉

9 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

We ate there in September last. I was somewhat less than whelmed. Quite a few folk obviously off boats in there, but if there were any locals I didn't spot them. My guess would be that the location and transient nature of the clientele means they don't need to try too hard and any extra effort would be hard to justify as it would not figure on their balance sheet in any positive way.

It was pretty empty both times we were in there...

We had two good evenings in there, maybe things have gone downhill since.

Edited by IanD

Just now, IanD said:

Didn't you turn up at/close to kitchen closing time? 😉

Yes we did. We four would of settled for a sandwich or even a plate and some food we could have made a meal from but all we got was a blank stare and refusal. It would have been understandable if the pub was busy but there were only 2 other people in the bar and they were eating! We were made to feel as welcome as a whale in a goldfish bowl.

That's disappointing if it has gone down hill. We didn't manage to stop there last year (although Iain had a pint while working the lock) so it is about 18 months since we were there and we found the food excellent and it was busy. We were lucky to get a table. No other boats moored there so the diners were presumably local. 

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Yes we did. We four would of settled for a sandwich or even a plate and some food we could have made a meal from but all we got was a blank stare and refusal. It would have been understandable if the pub was busy but there were only 2 other people in the bar and they were eating! We were made to feel as welcome as a whale in a goldfish bowl.

I'm sure you're as aware as everyone else of the difficulties many pubs have had in the last few years with falling customer levels and difficulty getting/keeping staff, or at least you would be if you talked to them -- and the Willeymoor is no exception, it's a family-run pub in the middle of nowhere, and like many others isn't going to keep the kitchen (or the bar!) open with no custom.

We visited twice, both midweek, and were made to feel very welcome both times in spite of there being few other customers. But then we turned up relatively early both times, having also phoned ahead to check when they were doing food, and ate and drank there until closing time, so I expect they were glad of the custom -- they did say they were much busier on Friday/Saturday. All the staff were family, they'd lost all the rest during Covid and couldn't find/afford replacements -- and we had a good old natter with them about this and many other things, it made for a convivial -- if quiet! -- evening.

So maybe you were unlucky, or maybe the way you talked to the staff lead to the cool reception -- I don't know, I wan't there.

But leaving the equivalent of a one-star review without explaining the details on a canal forum frequented by lots of boaters -- who form a large part of the pub's custom -- seems a trifle unfair, unless you actively *want* to help put them out of business... 😞

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

I'm a bit surprised you went twice tbh - I won't be doing that. 

We went twice because though it was almost empty the food and beer were good and the staff were friendly, which is all I look for in a pub... 😉

1 hour ago, PCSB said:

Thanks all, sounds like we will be cooking on the boat then 😁

Or you could try the pub and report back, since there have been both good and less good reports about it.

If it's good then it deserves supporting. If it's not then it'll go to the wall -- but people not going will make this happen...

1 hour ago, haggis said:

That's disappointing if it has gone down hill. We didn't manage to stop there last year (although Iain had a pint while working the lock) so it is about 18 months since we were there and we found the food excellent and it was busy. We were lucky to get a table. No other boats moored there so the diners were presumably local. 

What day were you there? Midweek the place is empty, but we were told it was busy at weekends...

Edited by IanD
  • Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

7 minutes ago, IanD said:

IIf it's good then it deserves supporting. If it's not then it'll go to the wall -- but people not going will make this happen...

What day were you there? Midweek the place is empty, but we were told it was busy at weekends...

No idea what day it was! The day Iain nabbed a pint it was busy with lots of walkers outside. 

Any boater going during the wet weather would be advised to moor below the lock in view of the mud bath above it 🙂 

12 minutes ago, steve hayes said:

We last stopped there June 22 and had a really decent pub meal, nothing fancy but well cooked.

That stacks up with my experience, and also most of the reviews... 🙂

27 minutes ago, IanD said:

We went twice because though it was almost empty the food and beer were good and the staff were friendly, which is all I look for in a pub..

Seems entirely reasonable to me. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't awful - it just wasn't a place I'd be interested in using if I  stopped near it l again. 

ETA. It was September the 13th, so maybe being "black Wednesday" it was an off-night! :(

Edited by Sea Dog
Added
  • Greenie 1

Just now, Sea Dog said:

Seems entirely reasonable to me. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't awful - it just wasn't a place I'd be interested in using if I  stopped near it l again. 

The problem is that decent pubs are few and far between on that stretch of canal, and if the Willeymoor Lock closes because boaters are (unfairly?) put off from going there, there'll be one fewer... 😞

3 minutes ago, IanD said:

The problem is that decent pubs are few and far between on that stretch of canal, and if the Willeymoor Lock closes because boaters are (unfairly?) put off from going there, there'll be one fewer... 😞

In my defence, I bought drinks and evening meals there so I did give it a fair crack of the whip! 

40 minutes ago, IanD said:

If this is aimed at me then you are out of order. We went there a year or so ago and the food was awful, in order to try and determine if it was just an off night I asked here. The replies of others have indicated it hasn't been great and some have said it is ok. That hardly breeds confidence to try again. 

5 minutes ago, PCSB said:

If this is aimed at me then you are out of order. We went there a year or so ago and the food was awful, in order to try and determine if it was just an off night I asked here. The replies of others have indicated it hasn't been great and some have said it is ok. That hardly breeds confidence to try again. 

It wasn't aimed at you, I thought that was obvious from earlier posts... 😉

Looking back over the replies, there are more positive than negative, and this stacks up with other reviews.

(the most negative being from someone who didn't get any food at all...)

The most recent reply from @steve hayes (last June) was positive, yours obviously wasn't. Personally I'll usually give a place a second chance, unless there's a better alternative nearby -- which in this case there isn't... 😞

Edited by IanD

3 minutes ago, IanD said:

It wasn't aimed at you, I thought that was obvious from earlier posts... 😉

Looking back over the replies, there are more positive than negative, and this stacks up with other reviews.

(the most negative being from someone who didn't get any food at all...)

OK, thanks for clarifying. No offence intended

6 minutes ago, IanD said:

No prob 🙂

No problem for you PCSB, it was me he was having a go at as usual.  Damn shiny boat owners!

I speak as I find thank you. We are all entitled to our opinions so do not berate me with your comments please.

Edited by Tracy D'arth

4 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

No problem for you PCSB, it was me he was having a go at as usual.

I speak as I find thank you. We are all entitled to our opinions so do not berate me with your comments please.

I'm only having a go at you when you post something which is being "economical with the truth"...

If you turn up at an isolated pub like the Willeymoor late on a quiet night without checking about food or kitchen opening times and then complain because you can't get any food, I expect most would say the pub is not to blame... 😞

Edited by IanD