Bad Language. A Reminder.

Jen-in-Wellies

Featured Posts

16 minutes ago, Mike Tee said:

My wife, when being 'modern' with the kids, has occasionally said the letters 'WFT' to express surprise - the look of bemusement on their faces is magical - you can see them saying it in their minds trying to work it out!

Is that an anagram?

• Sad 1

Just a small observation, is this topic in the right thread? I occasionally dip into a variety of threads but most of the abuse seems to occur on the Politics thread. I haven't noticed much swearing or abuse on the threads actually relating to boating (occasional grumpiness perhaps, but isn't that what you get when you gather a bunch of old farts together?(for the avoidance of any doubt, I'll include myself in that definition;))  )

3 hours ago, blackrose said:

I got told off recently for using the word tw@t in a post when referring to a TV presenter. Apparently there had been complaints. I can't help thinking that anyone who finds that particular word offensive in this day and age when it's not directed at them must have led a very sheltered life.

Problem is with that word, it is almost a term of affection on the thunderboat forum, and I think our forum has that word on some kind of alarm!! 

1 hour ago, Tonka said:

So what do we call a leather pouch designed to keep a knife in if we can not use its ancient British name ?

You mean sheath

From Wiki: 

"Minced oath substitutes for the word shit in English include shoot,[4][5] shucks,[6] sugar,[7] and the euphemistic backronym, Sugar, Honey, Ice(d) Tea".

Could we have a list of approved minced oath substitutes for all the words used in the Political section set up somewhere?

5 hours ago, blackrose said:

I got told off recently for using the word tw@t in a post when referring to a TV presenter. Apparently there had been complaints. I can't help thinking that anyone who finds that particular word offensive in this day and age when it's not directed at them must have led a very sheltered life.

It's commonly use but also misogynistic, therefore best avoided. 

3 hours ago, wandering said:

Yeah, I don't advocate using these words, they're not very nice imo but in Scotland people use the c word far and wide with ease.

I don't agree, I'm a Scot and have never heard people say that word in conversation. The Irish are well known for swearing but just in conversation, not in anger.

Edited by LadyG

On the other hand...

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20160303-the-surprising-benefits-of-swearing

I see that twat has been defined as a reference to female genitalia, that isn't it's only meaning, the original, immsmr, is to hit, as in "he twatted me on the neb". This was then transmuted by it's use to denote a successful encounter with a female as in "a Hit or score", from there to describing the genitalia. 

Good there is no ban on Twunt  though eh?

I recall a BBC doco about a family of toffs .....the Fulfords .......they were trying to hold onto the family estate ,that had been in the family for 1000 years ...........anyhoo ,the title of the doco was "The F/n Fulfords "......and every second word any of them said was f/n  this or that.........was quite funny really seeing the school age kids swearing away .

It's interesting, perhaps, that (as far as one can tell) all the support for "bad language" is coming from males and usually references (sometimes apparently gleefully) pejorative terms for female genitalia. It does rather suggest that some people should start to grow up, and that the ban may indeed be an educative factor in helping them to do so...

Edited by Arthur Marshall
  • Greenie 4

2 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

It's interesting, perhaps, that (as far as one can tell) all the support for "bad language" is coming from males and usually references (sometimes apparently gleefully) pejorative terms for female genitalia. It does rather suggest that some people should start to grow up, and that the ban may indeed be an educative factor in helping them to do so...

You haven't met my better half!!!! How does the percentage of female posters compare to the percentage of female members? 

39 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

You haven't met my better half!!!! How does the percentage of female posters compare to the percentage of female members? 

Quite....all my female friends are more than capable of profanity....one has made a Hells Angel blush and left a Glasgow gangster lost for words...quite impressive I thought

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

Having being in a job where the majority of colleages were female I can understand that. Nurses often dont hold back on expressing themselves quite 'strongly'.

5 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Speaking in a personal capacity, with my moderator hat back in its box.

It is a matter of where swearing is appropriate and where it is not. Most people, excepting those with rare neurological conditions, can reign in the bad language in situations where it is inappropriate and are able to judge what those situations are. As far as I know, keyboard, or screen tapping Tourette's is not a recognised medical condition. The rules and guidelines make clear that CWDF is not an appropriate place for bad language. Whatever language people use elsewhere, this is not the place for it. It isn't big and it isn't clever.

My own list of where *!^%# words are appropriate and where they are not.

Appropriate

Hitting my thumb with a hammer.

Listening to a government minister being interviewed.

Alone at a bus stop, in the drizzle, watching the last bus of the day disappear in to the distance without stopping.

Inappropriate

A garden party at Buck House.

Reading children's stories to an appreciative youthful audience.

CWDF.

That may be your opinion....other opinions are available......no wonder the forum is dying