You really coldn't make it up...

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

You really couldn't make it up!

OH has just been in conversation with a well known but also very hacked off fuel boater.

He is making very slow progress behind a private boat which is sporting a pram hood.

Apparently they are taking it down for each bridge they come to, and are then re-erecting it each time they are through the bridge hole.
One can only assume they are using it to avoid putting on sun block!

• Sad 1

22 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

OH has just been in conversation with a well known but also very hacked off fuel boater.

He is making very slow progress behind a private boat which is sporting a pram hood.

Apparently they are taking it down for each bridge they come to, and are then re-erecting it each time they are through the bridge hole.

Why don't they ask the hooded idiot to let them pass?

its ignorant as well, if I saw a fuel boat (or someone clearly earning a living on a boat)  regardless of pram hood shananigans I'd at least ask them if they wanted to pass....   

they are probably too engrossed in their pram hood and no doubt shiny paintwork to notice anyone else

3 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

We followed one that like through Warwick a few years back.  Ok, in fairness to them it was drizzling a bit but it made progress painfully slow.

They are brilliant pieces of kit. The only idiots are the ones behind, who seem to think a pram hood makes you slow, and can't be bothered to try to pass and then come on a tin pot forum to complain. How stupid is that?

• Greenie 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Unimpressed 1

23 hours ago, pete.i said:

They are brilliant pieces of kit. The only idiots are the ones behind, who seem to think a pram hood makes you slow, and can't be bothered to try to pass and then come on a tin pot forum to complain. How stupid is that?

In deference to the forum rules I won't write what I just said out loud.

• Love 1

23 hours ago, pete.i said:

Well not as stupid as coming on to complain about somebody complaining.....

On 22/08/2023 at 15:22, pete.i said:

Did you actually read the thread?

I don't know why you are posting here, unless it's some sort if twisted logic.

You don't appear to support this excellent forum, I donate a small amount, not only to help with finances, but slso moral support for the hard work done by those involved.

I suggest those who don't value the forum should not post, they should resign, and push off.

I've added  pete.i to my ignore list so I don't have to be annoyed by his negativity.

Edited by LadyG
  • Unimpressed 1

On 22/08/2023 at 11:58, magnetman said:

Is it one of those terrible wide beans ? 

Yes, let's blame everything on widebeams again...😋

On 22/08/2023 at 11:05, alan_fincher said:

It does sound like odd behaviour but bear in mind we're only getting one side of the story, second hand...

I would always let a fuel boat pass, or anyone else who was going faster than me and I don't like pram hoods but that's just a personal choice and I don't think they should be banned.

Anyway, for arguments sake let's suppose the people with the pram hood ween't really going that slow and the fuel boat wasn't catching them up, and no mention has been made of them actually stopping at bridges to take down the pram hood. So perhaps they were doing it quickly well before getting to the bridge while moving at a reasonable speed and re-erecting it after the bridge in the same way?

Then suddenly it doesn't seem quite so unreasonable and perhaps we just have a rather grumpy fuel boater who's prone to exaggeration and likes to moan. They're not unheard of.... You just don't know until you've heard both sides.

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, blackrose said:

Yes, let's blame everything on widebeams again...😋

It does sound like odd behaviour but bear in mind we're only getting one side of the story, second hand...

I would always let a fuel boat pass, or anyone else who was going faster than me and I don't like pram hoods but that's just a personal choice and I don't think they should be banned.

Anyway, for arguments sake let's suppose the people with the pram hood ween't really going that slow and the fuel boat wasn't catching them up, and no mention has been made of them actually stopping at bridges to take down the pram hood. So perhaps they were doing it quickly well before getting to the bridge while moving at a reasonable speed and re-erecting it after the bridge in the same way?

Then suddenly it doesn't seem quite so unreasonable and perhaps we just have a rather grumpy fuel boater who's prone to exaggeration and likes to moan. They're not unheard of.... You just don't know until you've heard both sides.

I don't think a fuel boater would be grumpy by default, if he is right behind another boat, it's almost certain he is going faster, so the boat in front should move over and let him past asap.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

Did you actually read the thread?

I don't know why you are posting here, unless it's some sort if twisted logic.

You don't appear to support this excellent forum, I donate a small amount, not only to help with finances, but slso moral support for the hard work done by those involved.

I suggest those who don't value the forum should not post, they should resign, and push off.

I've added  pete.i to my ignore list so I don't have to be annoyed by his negativity.

I think you've misunderstood Pete. His post was in jest.  He didn't add a 'tongue in cheek' emoji (is there one?).  I've met Pete and he was very helpful to me, not at all negative.  

57 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Its similar  to following a boat up or down a flight of locks where they stop to pick the crew up after every lock and drop them off 100 yards later at the next lock  

Or in one case seared into my memory, after doing that for a few locks both people aboard abandoned the boat after entering a full lock to go in search of their dog which had wondered off. The temptation to pull the boat back out onto the lock mooring was very strong...

• Haha 1