Boater dumps toilet cassette on narrowboat

Steve Manc

Featured Posts

Today I have learnt of a terrible event that took place on Sunday 18th or Monday 19th June 2023.  

A couple were going through lock 31 prior to bridge 96 on the Trent and Mersey on their narrowboat. A male of around 50 years old of average build with blond curly hair was on the towpath. He was doing a dance with his hands above his shoulders saying to them 'I am going to piss on you' 

He had a bicycle and went further down the towpath. They saw his bike at  bridge 96 and then he appeared above them on the bridge. Again doing the dance as they approached. He then dropped bottles of piss and then the elsan cassette full of shit on them. Being the coward that he is he then took off on his bike before they could get to him. 

They carried on to the water point at bridge 95. Nearby permanent moorers came to their aid to help them clean their boat. The permanent moorers, which is facing the former Joules Brewery,  think this coward could be one of the moorers who moors at their site.

Has anyone heard of this happening before in Stone?

Does anyone think they know who he is?

A male of around 50 years old on a narrowboat. He has a bicycle. He has fair hair which is curly and scruffy. He was doing a sort of monkey dance!!

He needs to be stopped because he WILL do this again. 

The couple who have been boating for ten years are now going back to their mooring. Then going home with a view of selling their boat which is sad. 

Any help will be helpful.

• Horror 2
  • Angry 1

To sell your boat and give it all up after ten years, just because of one encounter with an obviously mentally ill nutcase, does seem a bit extreme. If it was happening every week, fair enough, but I think any if us who have been boating that long have met at least one unpleasant individual and had one nasty experience.

I remember having somewhat unpleasant "water" bombs lobbed at me some years back , though never an entire elsan.

• Greenie 3

That is horrific. Having just been through Stone in the last few weeks and had a pleasant stay there, I would certainly have been deeply upset if anything like that had happened to us. The local boaters presumably have a good idea who it was and the couple affected could hopefully identify him. This should absolutely be reported. 

Obviously it’s a very unpleasant experience. But the guy is clearly severely mentally ill and so there would be no need to take it personally. It could have been worse, some people have been stabbed or otherwise killed randomly by mentally ill folk. Certainly no need to sell one’s boat.

• Greenie 4

11 hours ago, MrsM said:

That is horrific. Having just been through Stone in the last few weeks and had a pleasant stay there, I would certainly have been deeply upset if anything like that had happened to us. The local boaters presumably have a good idea who it was and the couple affected could hopefully identify him. This should absolutely be reported. 

The problem is, any supposed offence would only be of a minor one anyway. There is no terrible offence of shit bombing a passing boat I am sorry to say. It would be some minor public order offence at best and all but impossible to prove. This has to be put down to being in the wrong place at the wrong time and life carried on with. In all my 30 odd years of cruising the system I was only ever stoned three times, once in the shithole that is Knottingley so not a suprise but twice in the supposed posh Thrupp on the Oxford, quite appropriately in this case I think the term is " Shit happens "

7 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Of course we are only hearing one side of the story. 

Can't really think of anything that would justify this...unless the couple on the boat were the last two Prime Ministers 😂

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Sounds like they were specifically targeted?
If they were targeted then something’s gone on. 

Not that I condone emptying cassettes in people. 

Im inclined to think the same.

Its an incredibly random event so there is either a back story to this or the culprit is seriously mentally unwell.

(Agian for clarity, either way not condoning what he did).

1 hour ago, Goliath said:

Sounds like they were specifically targeted?
If they were targeted then something’s gone on. 

Not that I condone emptying cassettes in people. 

I guess if this had happened to you and on telling someone they gave your reply: Sounds like you were specifically targeted?

If you were targeted then something’s gone on. :

can I ask what your reply would be?

It is such an odd thing to do. 
I have been drawn in by so many one sided stories only to find there’s at least another version saying something completely different. 

But hey, I weren’t there and I will never know. 
I did put a question mark, rather make a direct statement about it being targeted. 

If someone was telling me the story, my first question would “so what did you do to upset them?”

They may not know they’ve upset anyone. And the nutter has harboured a grudge. 

I wonder if every Policeman thnks like that when some is stabbed by a terrorist,  someone with mental health issues or some random stranger. 

Hopefully by putting up this post it will raise it locally. Boaters will be aware to watch out around Stone. 

Hopefully he is known and something can be done to stop him doing it again.

Edited by Steve Manc
Grammar
  • Greenie 1

39 minutes ago, Steve Manc said:

I wonder if every Policeman thnks like that when some is stabbed by a terrorist,  someone with mental health issues or some random stranger. 

Hopefully by putting up this post it will raise it locally. Boaters will be aware to watch out around Stone. 

Hopefully he is known and something can be done to stop him doing it again.

Not sure being aware will help much -- what do you do, wear a hat? 😉

It sounds like the guy is mentally ill, and I'd be very surprised if local boaters don't know who he is.

32 minutes ago, IanD said:

It sounds like the guy is mentally ill, and I'd be very surprised if local boaters don't know who he is.

Indeed, and he must be a boater or a van-lifer. Ordinary house-dwellers don't have cassettes to hand to empty over bridge parapets in the first place. 

53 minutes ago, IanD said:

A sou'wester might be more effective.... 🤣😅

Edited by cuthound
To remove a redundant letter.
  • Greenie 1