AquaTrader

Featured Posts

58 minutes ago, AquaTrader said:

Hello,

Thanks for everyones concern, a customer has brought this to our attention that there may be a few questions people may like clarification on:

Yes we are young to establish a company however this is because we have all been boating for many years and were fed up of brokers making us sign contracts to sell our boats with them and charge us 8% to do so. Therefore, we thought we could do better than this and not make people sign contracts and only charge c.3%. This explains why we have so many boats signed up so quickly. This also explains why you see private listings on Apolloduck that are also on our website as we allow people to sell themselves and we will also sell at the same price and only charge them if we find the buyer. Therefore, our prices are not more expensive.   

All cash is paid directly to the seller from the customer we dont hold any money. We are located at trinity buoy wharf, home to many other boating businesses such as London power boat school and the Thames Clippers HQ.

Yes Mr Freeman is Jewish but i am not entirely not sure on the relevance and hope this wouldn't mean someone would not use our services due to the religion of a Company Director.

Ultimately, we were trading before becoming a limited company as this is when things started to take of for us. We were previously operating as a partnership with unlimited liability, only recently incorporating as an Ltd.

This is 3 young directors trying to establish themselves in the market whilst also making things better for boaters like we all are.

If anyone would like us to help with their search, answer any more questions or simply wants to pop in and say hi, please do feel free to visit us at Trinity Buoy Wharf or email us at enquiries[at]aqua-trader.co.uk.

If you have any suggestions then please do let us know. Hope this answers everyones questions.

All the best, AquaTrader team!

https://aqua-trader.co.uk

SQUARE full logo.PNG

Is signing a contract in the course of a sale not a good thing for both buyer and seller? A deliberate lack of contract seems odd to me, especially with a broker involved.

I wouldn't even respond to the comment about one of your team's ethnicity/religion by the way, it really isn't anyone's business besides their own.

Edited by Ewan123

Sorry in this context i am referring to exclusivity contracts meaning we are the sole broker and they are not at liberty to try and sell the boat themselves. This is what we avoid as do not feel it is fair if someone sells their own boat we should be entitled to a fee.

• Greenie 3

13 minutes ago, Ewan123 said:

Is signing a contract in the course of a sale not a good thing for both buyer and seller? A deliberate lack of contract seems odd to me, especially with a broker involved.

I wouldn't even respond to the comment about one of your team's ethnicity/religion by the way, it really isn't anyone's business besides their own.

One big advantage of a contract is that it can stipulate the circumstances under which a buyer can withdraw after submitting an offer and paying a deposit. Or the circumstances under which they forfeit any deposit paid if they withdraw.

3 minutes ago, AquaTrader said:

Sorry in this context i am referring to exclusivity contracts meaning we are the sole broker and they are not at liberty to try and sell the boat themselves. This is what we avoid as do not feel it is fair if someone sells their own boat we should be entitled to a fee.

Understood, thanks. On the face of it at least then, it does sound like you're trying to do something positive! I do wonder whether you'll be able to sustain the business if it's easy for the buyers/sellers to bypass you... but I suppose the market will decide that. Best of luck.

3 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I seem to recall that my bank had a maximum BACS transfer of £25,000 per day - I'm not going to be sat in a brokers yard for 4 days transfering 'dribs and drabs' if buying a £100k boat.

You can of course use CHAPs which allows you up to £250.000 per day, but that has to be done 'in Branch', not sat in a boat yard & via the internet.

How big a carrier bag do you need for £100K

1 hour ago, Private Fraser said:

5 bitcoins 🙄

Blimey they've taken one helluva hit on value* recently then.

* I use the word ironically. BC have no value beyond that embedded in the "bigger fool" principle. 

• Greenie 1

When we bought our boat (private seller) we did a bank transfer using both our current accounts and then set off with the boat once the payments had cleared. The bank transfers took less than an hour. This was after the survey and report of course. Our surveyor sent his report by email to us within 24 hours so we stayed in a nearby hotel while this happened.

6 hours ago, Ewan123 said:

Unless of course there is a commonality.  Which there is or at least used to be.

• Angry 2

21 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Unless of course there is a commonality.  Which there is or at least used to be.

Oh dear, somebody is really showing their true colours this evening..

10 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I'd question you on that .......................................

A boat salesman was jailed for four years after netting £480,000 by cheating customers out of their vessels.

Jailed boat salesman cheated customers out of half a million pounds - Nottinghamshire Live (nottinghampost.com)

Takes the money and neither the seller or the buyer get the boat, and he then sells it 'again'.

Remember it well

6 hours ago, matty40s said:

Oh ,give up BoaterSam/Tracy.

You have now been outed exactly as you are.

Quite, there is absolutely no reason to flag up someone's religion in a conversation like this unless the inner bigot has been roused. 

It's far from unusual for folks on that side London to be Jewish anyway. 

• Greenie 2

On 06/06/2023 at 17:25, AquaTrader said:

It's quite normal practice to be fair, there have been many cases of people lying about how they found a purchaser, if it saves paying comission or some other dirty dealing practice.

Edited by LadyG

• 4 weeks later...
On 05/06/2023 at 22:15, MtB said:

Ah yes, there is that. 

Kind of collect full payment for the first boat sale, catch the next helicopter to Barbados, let the one-month-old company fold you mean?

And Jeez, what a load of ol' cobblers on the "About Us" page, for a two-month-old campany!! 

https://aqua-trader.co.uk/about-us/

The About Us page has been written by Chat GPT. We tested it out to see how it would write a customer email and got pretty much the exact same text. 

Aquatrader’s model is different to traditional brokerage as they do not visit boats to do a valuation, take any photos, handle any viewings or make sure buyer and seller are protected by sales agreements and escrow accounts. On that basis, 3% + VAT for some marketing actually looks rather expensive in our opinion considering we offer all of the above for 5% + VAT. If they are reading this, my advice is that they should be getting their clients to sign something as they have no way of claiming commission without a contract with the vendor. 

32 minutes ago, Boatshed London said:

The About Us page has been written by Chat GPT.

That sounds about right. I am a moderator on another forum, and a tool that I use to detect AI generated text reckons there is a 90% chance that the about us page was created by an AI.

That doesn't necessarily detract from their business model -- there is nothing wrong with using the tools available to you -- but just confirming the suspicions of the new user (who, judging by the username, isn't entirely impartial) 😎