Level dropping, do I contact the CRT? ( Huddersfield Canal)

LadyG

Featured Posts

As title, not sure what's happening, but I'm aground, and I'm not sure if Im supposed to alert the CRT

UPDATED spoke to local CRT guy, aparently it's fairly normal, he'll check it out in the a.m.

Edited by LadyG

11 minutes ago, LadyG said:

As title, not sure what's happening, but I'm aground, and I'm not sure if Im supposed to alert the CRT

Are you moored in a short pound ? Can happen easily. Chck the lock down stream of you. Perhaps someones left a couple of paddles open and emptied it.

Yes, well I did set off , purposefully, with windlass in hand only to find Fernando had decided to come with me, so I had to take him back!

I"ll try to walk back to the river lock. I know the lock ahead of me has got problems with one of its paddles, but as that is uphill, I'd imagine it s not causing the problem.

Seems this is normal on the Huddersfield Broad not far from Lock 1.

Edited by LadyG
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

I suspect many of us would take a walk in case an idiot has left lock gates or paddles open.

Yes a walk down to the next lock, windlass in hand is the very first thing most people with even a modicum of canal experience would do...

Edited by blackrose
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, blackrose said:

Yes a walk down to the next lock, windlass in hand is the very first thing most people with even a modicum of canal experience would do...

Or better still in @LadyGs case put it on here and make a song and dance about it. This is pretty basic canal stuff. Maybe like all her years sailing experience, her few years of canal boating have bean a waste of time in the learning department  As you say maybe she should go to the lock she came through and  check she didn’t leave a gate or paddle open😉 Another drama for the old forum drama queen.

Edited by BoatinglifeupNorth
  • Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

It probably doesn’t need pointing out but when you take a walk to the next lock make sure it’s in the downhill direction!

Obviously summit pounds are a different story. 

Strange to say there was no probs at the lock , and when I got back my boat was afloat, I only saw one boat moving yesterday. Though of course there could have been a queue at the lock due to strong streams on the river.

10 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Strange to say there was no probs at the lock , and when I got back my boat was afloat, I only saw one boat moving yesterday. Though of course there could have been a queue at the lock due to strong streams on the river.

The tide had come back in.

23 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Maybe someone closed the lock gate and paddle on the lock you came through, hence the rise in the pound level.😂😂

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

It is unusual for the pound between lock 1 and 2 to be low on the Broad.

Perhaps a paddle on lock 1 has been left open.

Lock 2 will need your long throw windlass,and if you can't move the towpath side paddle, try the other.

They are both very stiff so you will need Fernando's help.

• Happy 2

55 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

It may be best if you let Fernando do all the boating and you just sit here on the forum.

That conjures up a picture of a cat on a high seat with his paw on the tiller and a smile on his face. I know, I should get out more 😀

31 minutes ago, haggis said:

That conjures up a picture of a cat on a high seat with his paw on the tiller and a smile on his face. I know, I should get out more 😀

Ah gawd, now that conjures up images of a feline in a little captain's cap

5 minutes ago, BilgePump said:

Ah gawd, now that conjures up images of a feline in a little captain's cap

Too late, it cannot be unseen .............

image.jpeg.d58788c7384ae204509074128999402d.jpeg

And, one of the owner ........................

Image result for cat with a captains hat

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Haha 2