I was recently given a 10W solar panel by a fellow moorer having a clear out.Was told that only being 10W there was no need for a controller.
The boat is now going to be left for some time,so I thought it might be prudent to disconnect it.
When connected to the panel,the battery voltage reads 14V.Connecting the voltmeter to the solar panel it reads 1V.
I thought that I should disconnect the solar panel from the battery and cover the solar panel,but the reading on the voltmeter with the panel covered was 6V.
Most puzzling,so did it again with the same result.
Been told that leaving a solar panel disconnected in the sun will damage it.
Two questions,will disconnecting the solar panel from the battery damage the panel?
Will leaving the solar panel connected to the battery damage the battery?
As the voltmeter reading on the battery is 14V,I assume the battery is fully charged.
Thanks for any advice..