Are we too old?

Dizz

Featured Posts

Hi all,would appreciate as much advice as possible please…..

Im 62,reasonable fitness ,hubby is 65,quite fit.We are considering selling up and buying a widebeam which would be moored in a residential marina,We aren’t interested in travelling very far,if at all.I’ve always wanted to live aboard but it’s taken me ages to persuade hubby.I just love the idea of looking out the window or sitting on the boat looking at water and it’s wildlife instead of a grotty little side street.We have a large dog too.We know very little ourselves but do have a friend who lives on a widebeam who could help us out when needed.But I worry we may be too old as I read it’s more physically demanding than living in a house.We would be spending around 120,000 to 130,000 so would expect it to have most mod cons. It will cost us more than at present as we have no mortgage but I’m more interested in wether you think we may struggle due to being older .Thankyou for any advice

Welcome to the forum, no you are not to old but are you sure that is want to do, sit on a boat in a marina looking at the next boat and the other hundred that surround you in a marina, not sure what wild life you would find there, maybe a duck and a seagull. Have you actually ever been on a boat for any length of time  and is hubby really onside with this or just trying to please the lady he loves.

That all sounds negative but you raised mostly negative, questioning things in your post as if you are not both 100% committed to the idea.

14 minutes ago, Dizz said:

Im 62,reasonable fitness ,hubby is 65,quite fit.We are considering selling up and buying a widebeam which would be moored in a residential marina,We aren’t interested in travelling very far,if at all.I’ve always wanted to live aboard but it’s taken me ages to persuade hubby.I just love the idea of looking out the window or sitting on the boat looking at water and it’s wildlife instead of a grotty little side street.We have a large dog too.We know very little ourselves but do have a friend who lives on a widebeam who could help us out when needed.But I worry we may be too old as I read it’s more physically demanding than living in a house.We would be spending around 120,000 to 130,000 so would expect it to have most mod cons. It will cost us more than at present as we have no mortgage but I’m more interested in wether you think we may struggle due to being older .Thankyou for any advice

It depends on your general level of fitness. Not your age.

We started boating in our mid 50s, had to give it up in our early 60s due to elderly parent commitments. 7 year full time liveaboard adventure with no regrets, but neither of us do regret anyway, a pointless exercise. We're now in our mid 70s and my health has been failing for several years, up till then very fit and able (hero to zero 🤣) but still no regrets.

None of us know what the future holds in store for us so it's impossible to make the 'right' decision so it's a matter of staying put or going towards our dreams, neither is better, whatever we choose just remember - no regrets. 

Edited by nb Innisfree

14 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Welcome to the forum, no you are not to old but are you sure that is want to do, sit on a boat in a marina looking at the next boat and the other hundred that surround you in a marina, not sure what wild life you would find there, maybe a duck and a seagull. Have you actually ever been on a boat for any length of time  and is hubby really onside with this or just trying to please the lady he loves.

That all sounds negative but you raised mostly negative, questioning things in your post as if you are not both 100% committed to the idea.

12 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Brian has already written more or less what I was going to.

In most marinas boats are moored on pontoons, side by side, with only the (usually narrow) walkways stopping it being continuous boats rubbing against boats.  You will not get an experience anything like you would if actually out on the cut, moored against a bank, and with no other boat alongside.  Only there might you start to see nature and scenery.

Sorry to be so negative, but what you describe is about the worst situation I can imagine.  Most of the downsides, with very few upsides.

This question reminds me of a lady we met on a very new boat several years ago. She was so enthusiastic about the fact that she could just " flick a duster occasionally ' and spend the rest of the time sitting reading. They were heading for life on a marina. The next we heard was that she had become an alcoholic and her husband had left her and the lovely new boat was in a terrible state.

As others have said sitting in a marina must be a very boring existence. 

Unless, of course you both have hobbies and interests which you can follow while living on a boat.

We had a great CRT on line mooring at Pollington. Perfect for a widebeam. Parking and from memory it was lit too.

If it had been equipped with mains it would have been even better. A good solar set up would have helped.

But no looking into the windows of other boats, just a wide expanse of water.

33 minutes ago, Dizz said:

Years ago I met couple who had sold up their house  and lived on a narrowboat.

Poor health several years later so the boat had to go,  The boat had retained its value but house prices had risen such that they could not afford to buy a house . So they had to rent.

If you are okay with that idea go ahead.

• Greenie 2

Age isn't relevant (I'm 73 and still boating mostly on my own), but a widebeam restricts where you can go if you live in a marina unless you're on one of the real wide canals. And you'd probably find, once the initial novelty has worn off, that you'd want to get out and about - and enjoy the scenery and the wildlife.

So a lot depends on where you're planning on being.

• Greenie 2

I would say it is more physically demanding than house dwelling. 

Physically  you will have to deal with 

1.fuel handling, be it coal/diesel /wood /gas. 

2. Toilet emptying 

3.Water tank filling

4 Boat maintenance 

All of these things are much easier in a marina than not, but still not comparable with house dwelling. 

I know many people in their 70s that successfully do so, but the majority have an exit plan to escape to bricks and mortar when the time comes. 

There is also little security of tenure. 

Good luck. 

Edited by rusty69
  • Greenie 1

Not forgetting marinas normally charge a supplement to accommodate a wide beam. On line moorings normally do not. (Unless this has changed) happy to be corrected.

(I know there is extra to pay for your licence now if you have a WB)

I bought a boat about four years ago, because my dreary flat in a dreary town was just not working for me.

I did have years of sailing experience, so the boating part was not a worry. 

My first year, in a marina, was just not what I wanted either. It was like a park home but not so exciting ;)

In your case it sounds a bit like a dream, what good are all mod cons if the rest of it is not giving you a happy experience.

I recommend you hire a narrowboat for a week and see how you get on.

PS you can get mod cons on any boat. 

PPS widebeams are spacious, there is no doubt, personally, ignoring certain restrictions, I would not, absolutely NOT go for a 70ft by 12ft widebeam, it's just a monster to handle. I'd go for smaller boat. All you need is a nice saloon with a good multi fuel stove a well fitted galley and a nice bedroom. I'd go for quality rather than quantity. 

You mention a Residential Marina, that's a rarity. Because of planning regulations etc etc, there are few Residential Moorings, the are only genuine Residential if you pay Council Tax. The annual costs are going to be high.

eg Council Tax £1000 or maybe more.

eg Marina fees for a widebeam, well quite a lot, maybe £3000?

I have no doubt you could find a marina which has nice views, and wildlife, but most don't.

Regarding health issues, in my case I was stressed out by domestic circumstances, so I had to change that, it took a full eighteen months to get my health back to normal, and I make sure I do something every day, for both mental and physical health reasons. 

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 3

For me it would depend on what your activities are.   I am a craft-type person, always playing with tools and equipment and materials, and I need space, space that is not readily available on a boat.  If your activities need little space, or are always outdoors, then you may be ok.  If you have no activities, then being on a boat will not be a sufficient activity in itself for very long unless you do a lot of cruising.  This is in addition to the issues posted by others above.

Get a residential mooring before you do anything. There is no security your landlord can tell you to leave at any time. After 26 years boating I’m very happy to be living in a bungalow. Hubby is now disabled and I’m heading for 80. We had a plan b

Firstly 62 & 65 should be a long long way short of being old.

It is a time, when hopefully you now have the means and the health to maximise your options, to do what you have always wanted to do.

Living on a boat on Englands inland waterways should for the most part be extremly pleasant. Moving it around a bit or a lot, even more pleasant.

But being on a boat, in all seasons and all weathers, will have some challenges, some  not of your making.

We bought our boat off a couple who very competently designed and commissioned their new build narrowboat when they were both in their 70s. 

They then intrepidly covered  the entire system, including even the Pocklington canal, over the next 7 years, until one of them had a major health event that abruptly ended their boating. Boating certainly enriched their latter lives tremendously.

But unfortunately as long as you continue to live,  getting old is inevitable. Most of it will be gradual, but some of it can be alarmingly sudden. And most likely it will happen faster for one then the other. 

So you need to think now about, What then?.

Don't let these thoughts ever stop you doing what you want to do now, but if you have given thought to this matter early on when the time comes, you will have a much better time of it. 

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

There are many marinas, in the Midlands and South, where you’ll pay about £3k to moor a 57’ narrow boat. What’s the ‘premium’ for a wide beam, 20%?, it starts getting very expensive.

1 hour ago, Col_T said:

There are many marinas, in the Midlands and South, where you’ll pay about £3k to moor a 57’ narrow boat. What’s the ‘premium’ for a wide beam, 20%?, it starts getting very expensive.

Some Marina’s 100% if not a designated widebeam berth as could take 2x Narrowboat berths. Easily could be £4K upwards for residential status. Obviously will depend on location and Marina. Even up North Official widebeam Marina moorings are rare and expensive.

Edited by PD1964

If you feel you are too old to accept the challenge, then you probably are. It's not necessarily an age thing more a mental one to which you both have to be totally committed. I was 78 when we sold our house and brought our narrowboat; no regrets. 

We spend the winter months in a marina and tour the rest of the year.

• Greenie 3

8 minutes ago, Idle Days said:

If you feel you are too old to accept the challenge, then you probably are. It's not necessarily an age thing more a mental one to which you both have to be totally committed. I was 78 when we sold our house and brought our narrowboat; no regrets. 

We spend the winter months in a marina and tour the rest of the year.

Lovely to hear. Go to it, life is a one way journey.

• Greenie 1

11 hours ago, LadyG said:

Think £8,000 plus, in at least one marina I'm aware of, in the Midlands. The fee you've given is more along the lines of a narrowboat. 

Edited by Higgs
  • Greenie 2