Are we too old?

Dizz

Featured Posts

9 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

Theres a few marinas doing cabins or lodges in the grounds, perhaps one of those may tick the right boxes?

Maybe she’s been talked out of it by her husband, as she seams not to be replying, maybe never to be heard of again like this lady who had a similar idea.

On 10/02/2023 at 19:14, Mike Adams said:

Although I've been boating for a mere 54 years I have never understood the concept of living on a boat full time unless it was due to financial hardship. I still really enjoy boating but unless you can afford a large boat such as a dutch barge and a freehold mooring you are at the behest of who ever is the mooring operator and are living in a very cramped space. I have never liked mooring in a marina and have only ever done it on transit and it seems more like a car park to me and most of the time you are just looking at someone else's windows. You would probably be much better off buying a park home in a very nice part of the country where you have at least some security and hiring a boat for couple of weeks out of season. Marinas are often off the beaten track without shops and good bus services so you are reliant on driving.

I'm the opposite.  I can't understand the point of owning a boat unless you're gonna live on it for a significant portion of the year.  If I had a boat which was lying on its mooring unused for most of the year, I'd sell it and take up a part share or hire holiday boats when I wanted to.

• Greenie 3

We lived on narrowboats for 12 years or so and I would not live on a boat now unless it was, as Mike Adams says, big and had a freehold mooring but we do spend 3 months or so on our little boat mostly on French canals and that works well but we avoid (mostly) winter mud, long dark nights cooped up with limited electricity, and boring expensive marinas.

• Greenie 1

Age is not only a physical thing.

We met a gent yesterday trying to help his friend up the Atherston flight, he had never worked a lock before, Diana tried helping but comments like I am nearly 75 to which she told him I'm 74. and things like you cant teach an old dog new tricks. In the end he went home and left his friend to single hand up the flight. It wasn't his physical age stopping him working locks but his mental age and just couldn't/wouldn't grasp it.

I hope they are still friend, but I have my doubts.

• Greenie 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, MartynG said:

For me the mind is willing but the body does not quite perform in all respects as in the past.

Yes, everything that should be loose and supple goes stiff, and things that should be tight and stiff, goes loose and floppy!

Don"t think you are too old for boating untill you get hold of the towpath and can't let go! 😰