Are we too old?

Dizz

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, Mike on the Wey said:

You have a large dog? Remember that you won't be able to just let it out into a garden. Morning and night, rain or snow etc, you will have to walk the dog from the boat to an appropriate area in the (expensive) marina every time it wants to do its business.

This is a very good point. If we were in the Marina even for a few days this became a bit of a PITA. Mainly because in both marinas we were several pontoons away from the shore. Having to do it virtually permanently would be a right chew on.

Suspected for a while that non boaters take great pleasure from answering with some spite& jealous advise.

Get on and do it we cc 8months winter somewhere different each year 

Age well past retirement still feel like a 20 year old just hope the wife doesn't catch me with one ....

Getting old is mandatory Growing up is optional 😛

Edited by Annie cariad
  • Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Please don't misquote me.  I was responding to earlier posts which essentially said resi moorings don't exist and there was no point looking.  The OP on that thread was open to a mooring pretty much anywhere outside of Birmingham.  I therefore directed him to a site with a choice of available resi moorings.  I'm sorry that it upset you so much.

I have been looking for your link in this topic and can't seem to find it, will you give us it again.

7 minutes ago, Annie cariad said:

Suspected for a while that non boaters take great pleasure from answering with some spite& jealous advise.

Really? Where exactly?

IF we go right back to the first line of the OP it says...

"Hi all,would appreciate as much advice as possible please….."

Which if you read the thread properly that is what they are getting. Based on experience. It might not all be what they might want to hear but the simple fact is there are pro's and con's to living on a boat, especially if you are not sure a about it and you don't have plans to move much or not at all.

It's not all a bed of roses.

Edited by M_JG

6 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

All these 'oldies' must suffer from Alzheimer's as they seem to have actually forgotten what the OP is wanting.

"buying a widebeam which would be moored in a residential marina,"

"I just love the idea of looking out the window or sitting on the boat looking at water and it’s wildlife "

18 hours ago, Dizz said:

Hi all,would appreciate as much advice as possible please…..

Im 62,reasonable fitness ,hubby is 65,quite fit.We are considering selling up and buying a widebeam which would be moored in a residential marina,We aren’t interested in travelling very far,if at all.I’ve always wanted to live aboard but it’s taken me ages to persuade hubby.I just love the idea of looking out the window or sitting on the boat looking at water and it’s wildlife instead of a grotty little side street.We have a large dog too.We know very little ourselves but do have a friend who lives on a widebeam who could help us out when needed.But I worry we may be too old as I read it’s more physically demanding than living in a house.We would be spending around 120,000 to 130,000 so would expect it to have most mod cons. It will cost us more than at present as we have no mortgage but I’m more interested in wether you think we may struggle due to being older .Thankyou for any advice

OK, my three ha'pence.

The first thing you need to do is realistically think about what you actually like about your current situation and which of those things you are prepared to forego if necessary.

Does your house have a garden for instance? Does hubby ( or indeed you ) have a "local" that you frequent? Do you like having your "own space" ( not that easy to achieve on a boat )?

Do you have a lot of clothes that you just couldn't live without? Space is at a premium even on the largest boats. Moving from a house to a boat always means that items ,that you previously just couldn't live without, become reclassified as clutter which must be got rid of. In the book 'Narrow Dog to Carcassonne ' the author says that he and his wife have a rule which goes "if it doesn't get used in six months get rid of it" or words to that effect. This is a very good rule and although we live on a 65' x 12' Dutch barge my wife and I try to live by it as much as possible.

Boats ALWAYS require maintenance and if you have to pay someone else to carry out such tasks the costs can be considerable so it pays to be practical. 

You say that you are both fit but then you say you worry about boat life being more physically demanding, so which is it? Your friend on the widebeam will be able to give you all the pointers in this respect and then you must judge for yourself. The other day I read about a lady in Paris who has been living alone on a barge for many,many years and has no plans of giving it up, the lady is 95! I'm coming up to 74 and have no plans of giving it up either.

The only reason anyone should consider living afloat is a love of boats, any other reason is likely to fail.

Keith

• Greenie 2

35 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

All these 'oldies' must suffer from Alzheimer's as they seem to have actually forgotten what the OP is wanting.

If you check back to TB's earlier post he was offering alternatives to marina moorings, you youngsters always seem to suffer from attention deficit these days 😁

• Happy 1

13 minutes ago, Steilsteven said:

If you check back to TB's earlier post he was offering alternatives to marina moorings, you youngsters always seem to suffer from attention deficit these days 😁

It just seems to be a little odd when the OP says "we want to be in a residential marina" that the dicussion go on about online moorings with no electric, etc etc.

@Dizz have a look at this couple, originally bought a Narrowboat then basically said they were more interested in the Marina lifestyle than boating, so bought a Widebeam and have never left the Marina. They’re moored at Whilton on the T&M. Seam to be enjoying life on the boat and have never ventured out, however the do lots of walks around the canal/local area and travel around by car quite a bit, they also have a dog that keeps them active.

https://youtube.com/@LoveLifeTriumph

Edited by PD1964

11 minutes ago, Annie cariad said:

Tony b et al read first get on high horse second .Thanks for proving me right ...people without a boat on the forum ... N.F.i 

You need to learn to read me thinks. Its you that has NFI, I'm afraid.

If you think Tony has no idea then you havent got a scooby.

11 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Are you suggesting Tony Brooks has no idea about boats?

I think they are just engaging in a bit of trolling.

2 minutes ago, Annie cariad said:

Errr who answered a response from a bloke called Tony .Don't tell me he is a boating leg end 

What does that even mean?

Can you try again, in English this time please?