Winter, coming soon, stock up.

matty40s

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, IanD said:

Before it got scaled up in volume (and sold to Coors) and down in quality it was OK for a BBBB**. Now it's just bland and tasteless, there are huge numbers of far better beers around, and ones which benefit local breweries not an American multinational lager-flogger...

** BBBB = Boring Brown British Bitter

I don’t go for all this change of taste thing that people complain about. 
It’s the same old stuff. 

I like a pint of Bass and often hear “oh they changed the recipe and it ain’t the same” or “ ooh it’s better now they’re using the old recipe again”. Usually said by non Bass  drinkers. 

And I reckon it’s the same

with Doom Bar, folk who never liked it or drank it complain how it’s changed. 🤷‍♀️

Let’s not forget Sharp’s Doom Bar was taken over for the very reason it’s the perfect middle of the road tasting beer that sells. 

Edited by Goliath

4 minutes ago, frangar said:

No…it was suggested they could look for other work…just as happened in many fields….but of course you’ve proved my point that some only believe what they want. 

yes,

and I think with the offer they could return to their jobs later (after covid) should they want to. 

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Goliath said:

I don’t go for all this change of taste thing that people complain about. 
It’s the same old stuff. 

I like a pint of Bass and often hear “oh they changed the recipe and it ain’t the same” or “ ooh it’s better now they’re using the old recipe again”. Usually said by non Bass  drinkers. 

And I reckon it’s the same

with Doom Bar, folk who never liked it complain how it’s changed. 🤷‍♀️

Let’s not forget Sharp’s Doom Bar was taken over for the very reason it’s the perfect middle of the road tasting beer that sells. 

Because it is brewed somewhere else the biggest ingredient is changed. When Brakespear stopped brewing in Henley the beer was then brewed at Wychwood Brewery which of course used different water as they are located somewhere else. The same with Doom Bar

9 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Because it is brewed somewhere else the biggest ingredient is changed. When Brakespear stopped brewing in Henley the beer was then brewed at Wychwood Brewery which of course used different water as they are located somewhere else. The same with Doom Bar

Not strictly true. Water is “burtonised” which means it’s altered to suit the beer. Hence can be made anywhere 

3 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Yeah, I’m not sure I buy into all that. 

Perhaps we all need to prepare for a big shift when they start using Northern water down South?

Will it improve or spoil Southern beer?

6 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Yeah, I’m not sure I buy into all that. 

Perhaps we all need to prepare for a big shift when they start using Northern water down South?

Will it improve or spoil Southern beer?

It's true though, otherwise the big breweries wouldn't have created the Burtonising (spp.?) Process 

2 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

It's true though, otherwise the big breweries wouldn't have created the Burtonising (spp.?) Process 

Yes, apparently to Burtonise water;

to harden (water used in brewing) by adding gypsum or certain salts especially for the purpose of approximating the flavor of burton.

1 hour ago, tree monkey said:

I'm with you 💯 %

I have to agree. Baked beans are first class way to ruin a classic "Full English", as a fried breakfast is called around here. I reckon a Full English with disgusting baked beans should be called a "Full Welsh"! 

P.S. Its only a true Full English when there is fried bread on the plate too. As Tim points out, this is getting increasing rare. 

• Greenie 1

14 minutes ago, MtB said:

I have to agree. Baked beans are first class way to ruin a classic "Full English", as a fried breakfast is called around here. I reckon a Full English with disgusting baked beans should be called a "Full Welsh"! 

P.S. Its only a true Full English when there is fried bread on the plate too. As Tim points out, this is getting increasing rare. 

Because its rank 🤢

• Horror 1

According to "The English Breakfast Society" an English Breakfast is:

The 'common' full English breakfast is a substantial meal consisting of back bacon, eggs, British Sausage, baked beans, bubble and squeak, fried tomato, fried mushrooms, black pudding, with fried and toasted bread on the side.

N.B.  The red bold is mine.

• Greenie 3

19 minutes ago, Jerra said:

According to "The English Breakfast Society" an English Breakfast is:

The 'common' full English breakfast is a substantial meal consisting of back bacon, eggs, British Sausage, baked beans, bubble and squeak, fried tomato, fried mushrooms, black pudding, with fried and toasted bread on the side.

N.B.  The red bold is mine.

Lovely…

…now define bubble and squeak 😃

for me it’s left overs fried up, mainly potatoes with veg such as cabbage or peas, maybe sprouts. 
definitely left overs, unless you’re posh you wouldn’t follow a specific recipe.  

5 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Lovely…

for me it’s left overs fried up, mainly potatoes with veg such as cabbage or peas, maybe sprouts. 
definitely left overs, unless you’re posh you wouldn’t follow a specific recipe.  

Definitely leftovers. 

Sadly we don't have those 😀

• Happy 1

12 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Lovely…

Bubble and Squeak for me has always been left over potatoes and veg in a frying pan to give crisp brown parts.  You couldn't have a recipe as it depended on what was left over.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, MtB said:

A full Welsh breakfast will have cockles and laverbread. Beans should be served in a ramekin so one can take them or leave them 

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, Dyertribe said:

I’ve got a phone, just can’t upload the pics to the forum. 

When writing your post, click on the Add Files button at the bottom, then on my phone I click on My Files and then Images, and select the picture(s) to add. It will probably be something similar on your phone.

You can leave it at that and the pictures will appear in the order they uploaded, or you can position the cursor at the appropriate point in your message and click on Insert to put the selected picture at the chosen place in your post.