Winter, coming soon, stock up.

matty40s

Featured Posts

W e were in Poland for a few days and when we left Krakow airport late on Monday evening the outside temperature was, I think, 19  degrees F. What a relief to get back to a country with a temperate climate where it's gone down only as far as 27 or 28.

-1 degrees when we left home this morning. Only a slight frost on the car and van.

By the time we arrived at work that had dropped to -6 degrees.

Currently 4 degrees outside so quite a temperature swing today and it is making short work of melting the ice in the car park.

Coldest weather we’ve had for years ain’t it?

Makes no odds with the stove lit though, weather can do it’s best the boat will stay toasty.

But I think I may, on another thread awhile back, have under estimated the amount of coal I get through! 😂

Edited by Goliath

The curious thing about this video is all the cars in it with wheels locked up and sliding into bollards or each other MUST be equipped with ABS.

ABS locks and unlocks the wheels rapidly in an enhanced version of "Cadence braking". 

As a tip to anyone getting caught in this 'still sliding with all the wheels locked' situation, I discovered a possible solution the other night when I found myself in this exact situation. I was driving slowly along a lane at midnight in about -6c in a woodland area. As I drove slowly down a sloping section of lane to a shrp bend I oh so gently pressed the brake pedal but all the wheels locked up on ice. The van was clearly going in to the ditch then I thought to myself hang on, why is my ABS not operating and giving me a bit of steering at least? So I took my foot off the brake then stamped on it really hard as if to do an emergency stop and amazingly, the ABS operated and I steered happily round the bend. All this happened in about one second flat. Just an idea that might help someone here caught in the same situation, and might have helped at least some of the cars in that video.

• Greenie 2

39 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Heres a nice clip for any numpty driver who thinks either ABS or four wheel drive are any good in snow. 

I would put money on the fact that all those cars are on normal summer tyres.

All season or winter tyres give much more grip when the temperature drops below 7deg.

I will now only use all season tyres on my cars  apart from the sports jobbie that spends from October to March in the garage so never sees wet or cold conditions.

• Greenie 2

15 minutes ago, Loddon said:

All season or winter tyres give much more grip when the temperature drops below 7deg.

I will now only use all season tyres on my cars  apart from the sports jobbie that spends from October to March in the garage so never sees wet or cold conditions.

Same here. I only use Pirelli Scorpion all season tyres. They are often not the most expensive option either.

Edited by M_JG

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

Heres a nice clip for any numpty driver who thinks either ABS or four wheel drive are any good in snow. 

I was upset for a moment that they closed rufford ford. Glad we have the cold weather to see people arrogantly ruining their cars  as a replacement😂

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Loddon said:

I agree, I have Michelin Cross Climate + tyres on my 4x4 Yeti.

Not only do they transform the grip available in icy conditions, but they ride much smoother and more quietly than the original Pirelli's.

Left foot braking can be a godsend in front wheel drive cars in slippery conditions, however when I tried it in the Yeti, the power was cut and the dashboard displayed a message that I must not accelerate and brake at the same time. ☹️

+1 for the all season tyres.  Last winter, I drove round all the slip-sliding SUV's.

On the Continent where they get more snow, it is a legal requirement.  In a knock, the first thing they do is check your tyres, summer tyres, you will be done.

56 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Left foot braking can be a godsend in front wheel drive cars in slippery conditions, however when I tried it in the Yeti, the power was cut and the dashboard displayed a message that I must not accelerate and brake at the same time. ☹️

A faulty brake light switch cost me £150 last year for that reason. £100 to find the fault and £50 for new switch and fitting. I was expecting several grand for a new auto gear box

Edited by ditchcrawler

Got dragged into a Wetherspoons last night, first time for years, for something to eat before a carol service, The Old Goalhouse in Winchester.  Only one beer available, Abbot's Ale, due to delivery problems.  Food for two, simple, served hot & quick, with 2 lattes for less than £12!  Quite busy.

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

Got dragged into a Wetherspoons last night, first time for years, for something to eat before a carol service, The Old Goalhouse in Winchester.  Only one beer available, Abbot's Ale, due to delivery problems.  Food for two, simple, served hot & quick, with 2 lattes for less than £12!  Quite busy.

But was it okay? We were in the Huntsman 100 on Saturday it was packed we had 2 excellent pints and 2 good meals for 20 squids 

9 minutes ago, peterboat said:

But was it okay? We were in the Huntsman 100 on Saturday it was packed we had 2 excellent pints and 2 good meals for 20 squids 

Swaying away from the topic, heard from a relation today that his friend was going to Wetherspoons to have a drink or two and a meal. Wetherspoons allegedly arranged a small loan that you can pay back over a short period.

How disgraceful of Wetherspoons preying on the vulnerable. If proves true. Thinking about it, I don’t think it’s true.

Edited by Nightwatch

15 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Swaying away from the topic, heard from a relation today that his friend was going to Wetherspoons to have a drink or two and a meal. Wetherspoons allegedly arranged a small loan that you can pay back over a short period.

How disgraceful of Wetherspoons preying on the vulnerable. If proves true. Thinking about it, I don’t think it’s true.

Nothing online and nothing said on Saturday