Winter, coming soon, stock up.

matty40s

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, rgreg said:

Indeed. Where else can you get a curry, naan, poppadoms, mango chutney, and a decent pint of Doom Bar for £9?

Great oxymorons of our time:

"Military intelligence"

"Sincere politician"

"Decent pint of Doom Bar"

"Delicious home-cooked Wetherspoons food"

They're really cheap (as are their ingredients) and at best adequate. Nothing wrong with that, but don't try and pretend they're something they're not.

As for the way they treat their staff and suppliers, don't get me started...

And yes I know people who have worked there, and have talked to brewers who supply them -- tactics like "We're huge, we'll order lots of your beer, but we want 20% discount", or "That over-ordered real ale you've got which will go off if you don't sell it, we'll take it off your hands -- at 50% discount."

Martin is indeed a successful businessman, his business model -- as a business to maximise profit -- is undoubtedly a good one. Buy cheap by using economies of scale to squeeze your suppliers, sell in big pubs converted from cheap buildings nobody wanted, pay poorly trained staff as little as possible and dump them on the street as soon as business gets tough, cut overheads by doing everything in-house, serve the same stuff everywhere.

The downside is that there are numerous cases of proper local pubs -- not a chain which 'spoons really is, just like McD -- losing trade and income to 'spoons and even being forced out of business, because they simply cannot compete on price. Even some of the "big drinkers" (lots of sales volume!) go to 'spoons, because if you're drinking ten pints in a night and aren't too bothered about the beer -- for example, drinking Doom Bar -- it will save you a packet. But many people would say this is yet another example of chains forcing out local businesses, so you end up with the "every high street looks the same" problem.

The end result is a chain of pubs which serve cheap beer and food, so long are you're not too fussy about the quality, or having knowlegeable staff who like working there.

If that's what you want, fill your boots. Not what I want from a pub though, along with many others.

Similarly if you want to look up to Martin as a successful businessman, go ahead, it's a free country. He's just as successful as many others relying on the same tactics to maximise their profits regardless of the effect on others or society -- Douglas Barrowman and Michelle Mone, anybody?

And look, I haven't even mentioned Martin's politics or Brexit... 😉

Edited by IanD
  • Greenie 1
  • Unimpressed 1

2 hours ago, MtB said:

Half an inch of snow and Wales seizes up. 

Truly the english are invading there! 

Grumpy sod :)

I made it out to see me Dad but tbf the road to actually get anywhere they grit is, shall we say, interesting and requires some care, the other way out is in all honesty a no go in the snow and I'm not exaggerating 

19 minutes ago, IanD said:

"Military intelligence"

"Sincere politician"

They're really cheap (as are their ingredients) and at best adequate. Nothing wrong with that, but don't try and pretend they're something they're not.

As for the way they treat their staff and suppliers, don't get me started...

And yes I know people who have worked there, and have talked to brewers who supply them -- tactics like "We're huge, we'll order lots of your beer, but we want 20% discount", or "That over-ordered real ale you've got which will go off if you don't sell it, we'll take it off your hands -- at 50% discount."

Martin is indeed a successful businessman, his business model -- as a business to maximise profit -- is undoubtedly a good one. Buy cheap by using economies of scale to squeeze your suppliers, sell in big pubs converted from cheap buildings nobody wanted, pay poorly trained staff as little as possible and dump them on the street as soon as business gets tough, cut overheads by doing everything in-house, serve the same stuff everywhere.

The downside is that there are numerous cases of proper local pubs -- not a chain which 'spoons really is, just like McD -- losing trade and income to 'spoons and even being forced out of business, because they simply cannot compete on price. Even some of the "big drinkers" (lots of sales volume!) go to 'spoons, because if you're drinking ten pints in a night and aren't too bothered about the beer -- for example, drinking Doom Bar -- it will save you a packet. But many people would say this is yet another example of chains forcing out local businesses, so you end up with the "every high street looks the same" problem.

The end result is a chain of pubs which serve cheap beer and food, so long are you're not too fussy about the quality, or having knowlegeable staff who like working there.

If that's what you want, fill your boots. Not what I want from a pub though, along with many others.

Similarly if you want to look up to Martin as a successful businessman, go ahead, it's a free country. He's just as successful as many others relying on the same tactics to maximise their profits regardless of the effect on others or society -- Douglas Barrowman and Michelle Mone, anybody?

And look, I haven't even mentioned Martin's politics or Brexit... 😉

I’m just grateful I won’t be seeing you in there anytime soon! 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, IanD said:

"Military intelligence"

Oi! I was in the military ;) ... ok point taken 😁

16 minutes ago, IanD said:

I quite like Doombar, when we lived in Devon the local kept their beer nicely and it was ok.

49 minutes ago, PCSB said:

Oi! I was in the military ;) ... ok point taken 😁

I quite like Doombar, when we lived in Devon the local kept their beer nicely and it was ok.

Before it got scaled up in volume (and sold to Coors) and down in quality it was OK for a BBBB**. Now it's just bland and tasteless, there are huge numbers of far better beers around, and ones which benefit local breweries not an American multinational lager-flogger...

** BBBB = Boring Brown British Bitter

Edited by IanD

32 minutes ago, IanD said:

"Military intelligence"

"Sincere politician"

Definition of an oxymoron:

Noun. Someone who didn't go to Cambridge

🤣

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Goliath said:

mmm lovely beans,

beans or fried tomatoes, or tinned tomatoes with a breakfast, yummy

..washed down with Guiness. 

I had a lovely breakfast at the pub this morning with breakfast club members. We visit various pubs/caffs a couple of times a week for brekky. I have been known to partake in a pint of guinness sometimes but was a good boy today and had tea lol. I had beans and tomatoes this morning amongst everything else. I also had fried bread, yummy yummy, something several places dont do.

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, pearley said:

Whilst not disagreeing with a lot of that the charge of cheap buildings is a bit unfair. Perhaps nobody wanted them and he bought them cheaply but the likes of The Showman at Bloxwich with a great glass atrium inserted down one side. The Richard Oastler in Brighouse, previously the Market Hall until spoons bought it and removed the false ceiling to expose the galleried upper floors from when it was a chapel. Here in Huntingdon and in Stone the spoons are both old Post Offices, beautifully built and worth keeping.

The Commercial Rooms in Bristol with original boards on the walls naming the President's and Secretaries from it's past. The Devonshire in Skipton, a grand building in its own right.

The Kettleby Cross in Melton Mowbray was Wetherspoons first 'green' pub with many innovations.

And I'm sure there are many others

Exactly. The opera house in tunbridge wells and the winter gardens in Harrogate are just a couple more examples of a long list of saved buildings but some can’t see beyond their blinkered prejudices….not to mention the fact that without spoons you wouldn’t have had the chance to get a decent pint of ale in most towns. They made a lot of pubs up their game both for food and real ale.  But IanD rarely lets the truth spoil his view. 

• Greenie 4

7 minutes ago, pearley said:

Whilst not disagreeing with a lot of that the charge of cheap buildings is a bit unfair. Perhaps nobody wanted them and he bought them cheaply but the likes of The Showman at Bloxwich with a great glass atrium inserted down one side. The Richard Oastler in Brighouse, previously the Market Hall until spoons bought it and removed the false ceiling to expose the galleried upper floors from when it was a chapel. Here in Huntingdon and in Stone the spoons are both old Post Offices, beautifully built and worth keeping.

The Commercial Rooms in Bristol with original boards on the walls naming the President's and Secretaries from it's past. The Devonshire in Skipton, a grand building in its own right.

The Kettleby Cross in Melton Mowbray was Wetherspoons first 'green' pub with many innovations.

And I'm sure there are many others

I didn't mean they were cheap nasty buildings, some of them are splendid like the Richard Oastler and others which used to be banks, insurance company HQs and so on -- I meant that he got them cheap because nowadays nobody else wants buildings of this size and character and position, especially if they're full of features like tiled interiors or have preservation orders on them.

This is one positive side of 'spoons -- keeping such lovely buildings open, restored and used -- but in my opinion it still doesn't make up for the negative sides. I'm sure others will disagree... 😉

Edited by IanD

4 hours ago, Rob-M said:

There are a few 'spoons I've been in where you couldn't get a drinkable pint of Doom Bar.  At least three different ones where I walked out leaving beer even after complaining and getting a replacement.  I tend to avoid them now.

A long time ago, (20years ?) I had a baguette and a pint in a spoons at Waterloo station I think while waiting for train. 
Eating away I got to a chewy bit and after a few chomps realised it were a bit of plastic. Urrgh, a blue plaster!!!

Complained at the bar and they offered me another baguette. 
“ just give me another pint for nowt” I said. 

Took a little while to forget that chewy plaster sensation. 

Just now, IanD said:

I didn't mean they were cheap nasty buildings, some of them are splendid like the Richard Oastler and others which used to be banks, insurance company HQs and so on -- I meant that he got them cheap becasue nobody else wants buildings of this size and character and position, especially if they're full of features like tiled interiors or have preservation orders on them.

This is one positive side of 'spoons -- keeping such lovely buildings open, restored and used -- but in my opinion it still doesn't make up for the negative sides. I'm sure others will disagree... 😉

Need to put both together and charge more then.🤣

My criticism of spoons would be they don’t clear the tables, it’s always something you have to do yourself. 
They were very good during the covid but soon lapsed back to leaving the customer to clear up after someone else. 

other wise cheap and cheerful , and adds to the range of drinking establishments. 

I think a great place to meet first thing for breakfast before a pub crawl or one of them Ale Trails by train. 

10 minutes ago, Goliath said:

My criticism of spoons would be they don’t clear the tables, it’s always something you have to do yourself. 
They were very good during the covid but soon lapsed back to leaving the customer to clear up after someone else. 

other wise cheap and cheerful , and adds to the range of drinking establishments. 

I think a great place to meet first thing for breakfast before a pub crawl or one of them Ale Trails by train. 

Be interesting what people think of spoons once they have sold the 30 to 40 pubs that are up for sale

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Be interesting what people think of spoons once they have sold the 30 to 40 pubs that are up for sale

I’ve been a fan of spoons since the early 90’s when they had a much smaller estate….they have always brought and sold pubs/buildings as leases ended or a better premises in a location became available. Sadly there are those who love to put a successful business down and jump on anything they can to twist to try to score a point. 

• Greenie 1

19 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Didn’t know that, had to Google 

heres 32 of them, Can’t say I know anyone of them

• Barnsley – Silkstone Inn
  • Beaconsfield – Hope & Champion
  • Bexleyheath – Wrong ‘Un
  • Bournemouth – Christopher Creeke
  • Cheltenham – Bank House
  • Durham – Water House
  • Halifax – Percy Shaw
  • Hanham – Jolly Sailor
  • Harrow – Moon on the Hill
  • Hove – Cliftonville Inn
  • London Battersea – Asparagus
  • London East Ham – Miller’s Well
  • London Eltham – Bankers Draft
  • London Forest Gate – Hudson Bay
  • London Forest Hill – Capitol
  • London Hornsey – Toll Gate
  • London Holborn – Penderel’s Oak
  • London Islington – Angel
  • London Palmers Green – Alfred Herring
  • Loughborough – Moon & Bell
  • Loughton – Last Post
  • Mansfield – Widow Frost
  • Middlesbrough – Resolution
  • Purley – Foxley Hatch
  • Redditch – Rising Sun
  • Sevenoaks – Sennockian
  • Southampton – Admiral Sir Lucius Curtis
  • Stafford – Butler’s Bell
  • Watford – Colombia Press
  • West Bromwich – Billiard Hall
  • Willenhall – Malthouse
  • Wirral – John Masefield
Edited by Goliath

Are you saying that Weatherspoon have a greater buying power than say Green King or any of the other brewery chains that have pubs, because they don't match Spoons on price of beer and looking at the turn over of staff they don't seem to treat their managers that well ether.

Just now, ditchcrawler said:

Are you saying that Weatherspoon have a greater buying power than say Green King or any of the other brewery chains that have pubs, because they don't match Spoons on price of beer and looking at the turn over of staff they don't seem to treat their managers that well ether.

I must say there have been some bad reports about the food in the one near us at Beccles

9 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Didn’t know that, had to Google 

heres 32 of them, Can’t say I know anyone of them

• Barnsley – Silkstone Inn
  • Beaconsfield – Hope & Champion
  • Bexleyheath – Wrong ‘Un
  • Bournemouth – Christopher Creeke
  • Cheltenham – Bank House
  • Durham – Water House
  • Halifax – Percy Shaw
  • Hanham – Jolly Sailor
  • Harrow – Moon on the Hill
  • Hove – Cliftonville Inn
  • London Battersea – Asparagus
  • London East Ham – Miller’s Well
  • London Eltham – Bankers Draft
  • London Forest Gate – Hudson Bay
  • London Forest Hill – Capitol
  • London Hornsey – Toll Gate
  • London Holborn – Penderel’s Oak
  • London Islington – Angel
  • London Palmers Green – Alfred Herring
  • Loughborough – Moon & Bell
  • Loughton – Last Post
  • Mansfield – Widow Frost
  • Middlesbrough – Resolution
  • Purley – Foxley Hatch
  • Redditch – Rising Sun
  • Sevenoaks – Sennockian
  • Southampton – Admiral Sir Lucius Curtis
  • Stafford – Butler’s Bell
  • Watford – Colombia Press
  • West Bromwich – Billiard Hall
  • Willenhall – Malthouse
  • Wirral – John Masefield

It’s a shame they are closing the one at Beconsfield services on the M40….it was handy when dropping/collecting my mother from Heathrow and generally when passing….much better than the usual service area shite. 

• Greenie 1

5 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

If thats the £2.50 breakfast I think I'd need at least the £5 breakfast + extras, (but forget the Blood & Fat Pudding)

I was stuffed after that. Couldn't eat another thing. Still haven't and won't until the curry later 😀

Now if it was rubbish produce with minimal meat content. Then yes you probably would want more of it.

4 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Nice. A properly cooked egg thats been basted. Real butter, not that muck out of a plastic tub. Only spoilt by an American hash brown rubbish addition. I do hope that isnt BROWN bread is it? :o

Sorry to disappoint. The egg wasn't basted, in fact there was no oil involved at all, it was cooked in a Copperstone pan with no oil 😲

Guilty on the brown bread as well your honour.

And it was sour dough 🤣🤣🤣

• Greenie 1

11 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I must say there have been some bad reports about the food in the one near us at Beccles

People are quick to forget how Spoons treated their staff during covid. They lost their jobs rather than being put on furlough.

Just now, Naughty Cal said:

People are quick to forget how Spoons treated their staff during covid. They lost their jobs rather than being put on furlough.

No…it was suggested they could look for other work…just as happened in many fields….but of course you’ve proved my point that some only believe what they want. 

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 2