Winter, coming soon, stock up.

matty40s

Featured Posts

22 minutes ago, Dyertribe said:

You need James Martins yorkie recipe, I scale down the amounts because there is rarely more than three of us but they are lush. 
https://www.jamesmartinchef.co.uk/recipes/yorkshire-puddings-gravy/

Good recipe, the main thing is to use dripping. Oil is absolutely hopeless, yet many people use it and wonder why their yorkies are crap.

• Greenie 1

10 hours ago, LadyG said:

I think you will find the staff turn on the beer taps.

Keeping the pipes clean etc will not be done by the staff on site, I can pretty much gaurantee if they can't heat frozen mashed potatoes with a microwave they have no chance with beer management, which would be a key factor in profits.

Everyone is an expert judge of a good pint even if they can't tell margarine from butter.

They do look after the beer and clearly do ok

13 hours ago, frangar said:

Spoons is far better in all sorts of ways…serves beer for a start! And isn’t full of teenagers 

I like Tim…says what he thinks and bugger everyone else.  Gets my vote. 

Indeed. Where else can you get a curry, naan, poppadoms, mango chutney, and a decent pint of Doom Bar for £9?

• Greenie 3

1 minute ago, rgreg said:

Indeed. Where else can you get a curry, naan, poppadoms, mango chutney, and a decent pint of Doom Bar for £9?

There are a few 'spoons I've been in where you couldn't get a drinkable pint of Doom Bar.  At least three different ones where I walked out leaving beer even after complaining and getting a replacement.  I tend to avoid them now.

I fixed a boiler a few years ago for a teacher at home during the school day. I commented on this and she said she'd taken the day off because of the snow. I was all like, WTF, looking out the window, no snow! 

She explained "Yes but it's cold, so it might snow"...

1 minute ago, Rob-M said:

There are a few 'spoons I've been in where you couldn't get a drinkable pint of Doom Bar.  At least three different ones where I walked out leaving beer even after complaining and getting a replacement.  I tend to avoid them now.

They are usually spot on in my experience. They have the benefit of turnover.

7 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

A few years ago I 'did' a wedding (having a licence, a bar/restaurant and a portable bar) and had over ordered by a few barrels,

I could use a couple of barrels in the bar but the rest would have just gone out of date (they had under a week left on them) so I spoke with the brewery and they said the'd take them back and refund me. On asking what they did with them they said that Weatherspoons will take any kegs that have at least 2-days BB date on them, they shift so much beer that they get thru 1000's of kegs a day.

It is sold to them at a discounted price which they then pass onto their customers.

10 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

A few years ago I 'did' a wedding (having a licence, a bar/restaurant and a portable bar) and had over ordered by a few barrels,

I could use a couple of barrels in the bar but the rest would have just gone out of date (they had under a week left on them) so I spoke with the brewery and they said the'd take them back and refund me. On asking what they did with them they said that Weatherspoons will take any kegs that have at least 2-days BB date on them, they shift so much beer that they get thru 1000's of kegs a day.

It is sold to them at a discounted price which they then pass onto their customers.

and lets be honest here. When do the punters in a pub get to see the sell by date

16 minutes ago, MtB said:

I fixed a boiler a few years ago for a teacher at home during the school day. I commented on this and she said she'd taken the day off because of the snow. I was all like, WTF, looking out the window, no snow! 

She explained "Yes but it's cold, so it might snow"...

In my early days of teaching we frequent had days when the school closed because the bus companies wouldn't run the buses (second largest rural catchment in England)/

So one snowy day the deputy head had a roll call of the buses, everyone had arrived with the usual pupils.  Then he called the town estates nobody from the estate the school was in had made it to school.   They had all thought "the buses won't make it no point going in".

At the other end of the scale one "snow day" a colleague struggled in from the other end of the valley (about 20 miles) walked into the staff room to find it emptying rapidly, the buses had called in saying if the pupils aren't ready for the bus in 30 minutes we aren't taking them.  The vast majority of the pupils were from the buses and the teachers lived out of town.

Spoons did us a favour and banned dogs from all of their premises so we can't go now.

Made our own "cheap" breakfast instead with real ingredients. Cost under £10 to buy proper ingredients that will do us a breakfast each for two days, less than £2.50 a breakfast for something that is served hot and is edible.

20221210_095613.jpg.12ceb3f0a4fdf029d531b89bcb6fcd9e.jpg

Back to the weather. Still not overly cold here, -1 overnight. Dog seems to be enjoying the frost though.

20221210_085630.jpg.d461b705651c61d68e1bbc3dbbc5c2d9.jpg

• Greenie 1

27 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Ah , yes, head office internet based cellar management. 

🤡

Good one, I have known the manager of my local one for years, he moved to Bluecoats when Rhinos was sold, the staff look after the beer regardless of what she thinks

• Happy 1

1 hour ago, rgreg said:

I agree for the most part....not sure a "decent" pint of Doom Bar is a thing though....🤣🤣

1 hour ago, Rob-M said:

Try a better beer to start with...no Doom Bar is drinkable to my mind.....like Landlord its a vasty overrated ale!

• Happy 1

2 minutes ago, frangar said:

I agree for the most part....not sure a "decent" pint of Doom Bar is a thing though....🤣🤣

Depends if it is from the bottle or from a keg, as one of them is still brewed in Cornwall and i can not remember which

4 minutes ago, frangar said:

Try a better beer to start with...no Doom Bar is drinkable to my mind.....like Landlord its a vasty overrated ale!

Doom bar was desperation as I didn't think they could ruin that.  Can't remember what the other beers were as the last time was a few years ago.

38 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Spoons did us a favour and banned dogs from all of their premises so we can't go now.

Thats the one downside of Spoons...no dogs...and I say that as non dog owner......Id much rather they banned children!...but I think that of all pubs and restaurants!....and shops!

1 minute ago, Rob-M said:

Doom bar was desperation as I didn't think they could ruin that.  Can't remember what the other beers were as the last time was a few years ago.

They probably hadn't....Its just how it tastes....

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

Made our own "cheap" breakfast instead with real ingredients. Cost under £10 to buy proper ingredients that will do us a breakfast each for two days, less than £2.50 a breakfast for something that is served hot and is edible.

20221210_095613.jpg.12ceb3f0a4fdf029d531b89bcb6fcd9e.jpg

Back to the weather. Still not overly cold here, -1 overnight. Dog seems to be enjoying the frost though.

20221210_085630.jpg.d461b705651c61d68e1bbc3dbbc5c2d9.jpg

Nice. A properly cooked egg thats been basted. Real butter, not that muck out of a plastic tub. Only spoilt by an American hash brown rubbish addition. I do hope that isnt BROWN bread is it? :o

38 minutes ago, frangar said:

Thats the one downside of Spoons...no dogs...and I say that as non dog owner......Id much rather they banned children!...but I think that of all pubs and restaurants!....and shops!

They probably hadn't....Its just how it tastes....

Had a mate who had a lead for his dog made up as an assistance dog. He used spoons regular. Canny old boy.👍 

no such thing as problems, only solutions.😜 

Better behaved than most kids,and a lot of adults, plus the dog could eat the cold uneducable food from the unhappy customers 🤭🤭 

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1