Winter, coming soon, stock up.

matty40s

Featured Posts

13 minutes ago, Ken X said:

I still miss studded tyres. Got introduced to these whilst working in Sweden. Bees knees but did muller the roads though.

Even winter tyres are pretty good if you know how to drive on snow. I remember being given a lift to a restaurant by our sales guy in Sweden in January, and him holding a conversation while nonchalantly power-sliding the car -- a 2WD BMW, IIRC -- round corners at silly angles while twirling the wheel with on hand, all under perfect control. May well have been studded tyres, I was too busy holding on to check.

Being completely used to driving in conditions like this makes you realise why so many of the great winter rally drivers were from Scandinavia...

Edited by IanD

38 minutes ago, IanD said:

Even winter tyres are pretty good if you know how to drive on snow. I remember being given a lift to a restaurant by our sales guy in Sweden in January, and him holding a conversation while nonchalantly power-sliding the car -- a 2WD BMW, IIRC -- round corners at silly angles while twirling the wheel with on hand, all under perfect control. May well have been studded tyres, I was too busy holding on to check.

Being completely used to driving in conditions like this makes you realise why so many of the great winter rally drivers were from Scandinavia...

Sebastian Loeb is French

Colin Mcrae was Scottish

Edited by Tonka
Spelling

55 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Sebastian Loeb is French

Colin Mcrae was Scottish

"...so many..." -- not all... 😉

https://www.redbull.com/gb-en/stig-blomqvist-snow-driving-practical-guide

"Typically, it’s Scandinavians who have dominated the WRC’s only true snow event – Sébastiens Loeb and Ogier are the only non-Nordic drivers to have triumphed on a rally first held 56 years ago."

Edited by IanD

Still relatively mild here in the Midlands. Was zero degrees at home and as we drove into work that increased to 3 degrees.

The lying snow here is melting fairly quickly. The compacted ice in the car park is taking a bit longer to melt mind but it is on it's way. No doubt it will freeze over again later.

We are heading up to Carlisle on Saturday to see family. Think it is forecast to be a fair bit colder up there so must remember to wrap up warm!

16 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Still relatively mild here in the Midlands. Was zero degrees at home and as we drove into work that increased to 3 degrees.

The lying snow here is melting fairly quickly. The compacted ice in the car park is taking a bit longer to melt mind but it is on it's way. No doubt it will freeze over again later.

We are heading up to Carlisle on Saturday to see family. Think it is forecast to be a fair bit colder up there so must remember to wrap up warm!

A bit chilly still over this part of the Midlands. 
still going below zero from the early afternoon. Forecast to be possibly -5C at the coldest for the next 3 days. 

I don’t mind it. Always prefer a couple of weeks of cold to a couple of weeks of rain and storms. 

Cold weather usually comes with some lovely sunny spells. So at least we get to see the sun ☀️ 

• Greenie 1

52 minutes ago, Goliath said:

A bit chilly still over this part of the Midlands. 
still going below zero from the early afternoon. Forecast to be possibly -5C at the coldest for the next 3 days. 

I don’t mind it. Always prefer a couple of weeks of cold to a couple of weeks of rain and storms. 

Cold weather usually comes with some lovely sunny spells. So at least we get to see the sun ☀️ 

Yep, its a beautiful day here today, very sunny. Just got home from shopping, car tells me its minus 1 at the moment. Moocho better than plus 5 with rain innitt.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

Yep, its a beautiful day here today, very sunny. Just got home from shopping, car tells me its minus 1 at the moment. Moocho better than plus 5 with rain innitt.

It must have been sunny at home. The Truma I Net app on my phone was busy telling me that the starter battery was merrily charging away from the solar panel this morning.

BMS on the leisure battery is still in cold weather protection mode. Expect it will stay that way until Sunday/Monday.

13 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Quite often, like at the mo it's best to leave the snow alone on walkways, you get a good grip on it. If it's cleared and thaws a little then freezes again overnight then it can become very slippery.

It was more the rotting planks and moss coverage I was refering to.

59 minutes ago, MtB said:

Canal still frozen at the top of the Devizes flight. 

My van dashboard display says temperature has now rocketed to +0.5c.

Glad to hear that as I was not allowed out today on the grounds that it was not safe to be out on the towpath!

3 hours ago, Goliath said:

I couldn’t resist getting a bottle of Taylor’s Port yesterday. 
And put bottle on top of stove for a short while to take chill out of it. 
Lovely and warming. 

I am bottling my slow Gin tomorrow and starting the slow port in the jars, 3 months before its ready 

• Love 1