Winter, coming soon, stock up.

matty40s

Featured Posts

9 hours ago, system 4-50 said:

Got dragged into a Wetherspoons last night, first time for years, for something to eat before a carol service, The Old Goalhouse in Winchester.  Only one beer available, Abbot's Ale, due to delivery problems.  Food for two, simple, served hot & quick, with 2 lattes for less than £12!  Quite busy.

Strange, the Stubbing Wharf had a shortage, tried something called Porter, it was cheap. 

• Happy 1

3 minutes ago, peterboat said:

You do know what porter is?

I drink it all the time lovely stuff, it was probably at one point the national drink

I try to only drink darker ales....so Porter...mild....old ale. To my mind these are proper ales....dont get the trend for all this light hoppy stuff but I have heard that dark ale is making a comeback...I can but hope!

• Greenie 4

4 minutes ago, frangar said:

I try to only drink darker ales....so Porter...mild....old ale. To my mind these are proper ales....dont get the trend for all this light hoppy stuff but I have heard that dark ale is making a comeback...I can but hope!

Stout fellow. :).

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, frangar said:

I hope so to

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

Last day of the fantastic hoar frost and ice patterns on the canal, the weather will slowly deteriorate as the weekend goes on.20221216_163556.jpg.815d2787267d037a280fc70b950377a1.jpg20221216_163501.jpg.b74ee96c978a0f1ab6ca0019f964d12b.jpg20221216_163521.jpg.7dbcda6ba99f202187308b82c2d5acb3.jpg

The only downside has been the antisocial arse moored opposite who runs his engine at 1500 rpm several times a day and who has littered the canal outside his side hatch with all sorts of detritus and fag ends everywhere. He also breaks the ice below the hatch in the middle of the night, I wouldnt like to know what he is getting rid of then.20221216_163854.jpg.b4cb4c180ddb039cf5c55344cf640a1f.jpg

Edited by matty40s
  • Greenie 3

1 minute ago, matty40s said:

Last day of the fantastic hoar frost and ice patterns on the canal, the weather will slowly deteriorate as the weekend goes on.20221216_163556.jpg.815d2787267d037a280fc70b950377a1.jpg20221216_163501.jpg.b74ee96c978a0f1ab6ca0019f964d12b.jpg20221216_163521.jpg.7dbcda6ba99f202187308b82c2d5acb3.jpg

The only downside has been the sh17head moored opposite who runs his engine at 1500 rpm several times a day and who has littered the canal outside his side hatch with all sorts of detritus and fag ends everywhere. He also breaks the ice below the hatch in the middle of the night, I wouldnt like to know what he is getting rid of then.20221216_163854.jpg.b4cb4c180ddb039cf5c55344cf640a1f.jpg

Let’s have some drone photos 👹

4 hours ago, peterboat said:

You do know what porter is?

I drink it all the rtime lovely stuff, it was probably at one point the national drink

I know what Guinness is, formerly known as Porter, and their is another well known  similar drink, I quite like them. This was pretty moderate, I even left some!

• Horror 2

34 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I know what Guinness is, formerly known as Porter, and their is another well known  similar drink, I quite like them. This was pretty moderate, I even left some!

Guinness isn't really a porter....more of a stout...there is a difference 

• Greenie 2

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

Correct - The Guiness we all know & Love is NOT a Porter, but Guiness did make a Porter :

See the source image

There is also a Guinness sold in Malaysia that is very different from what we would expect...much more malt...however not easily available in pubs in this country like the porter in your post.

• Greenie 1

44 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Mackeson?

Mackeson_Stout.png

Edited by bizzard
  • Love 1

36 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Back in 1700 and something porter came out in London so called because Porters drank it! There is a lot more to it than that of course but that's the explanation I read in a Spoons and googled afterwards 

Any liveaboards running out of water yet? I've still got half a tank left but mine holds nearly 1300 litres so I can easily make it last a month. I think I've only run the washing machine once since this cold snap started.

I did warn a couple of new liveaboard neighbours at the marina to fill up before the freezing weather started because I know it can catch people out, but at least one ignored me and she's been out of water for the last week. You can lead a horse to water... Almost literally.