Best polish/wax for new paintwork?

XLD

Featured Posts

7 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

I use Autoglym, in theory once a year but in practice rather less often.   I finally got round this week to doing a wash, shampoo and polish on the right hand cabin side. This photo shows the before and after. I might do the wax if I am feeling really keen. 

dsc_9642-1.jpg

Wow thats quite a transformation!!

• Greenie 1

forgot to ask, which product in their range did you use as this is remarkable...  also is this by hand or did you use one of those rotary buffers?

14 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

I use Autoglym, in theory once a year but in practice rather less often.   I finally got round this week to doing a wash, shampoo and polish on the right hand cabin side. This photo shows the before and after. I might do the wax if I am feeling really keen. 

dsc_9642-1.jpg

Edited by robtheplod

11 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

forgot to ask, which product in their range did you use as this is remarkable...

* Wash the side of the boat with cold water to remove dirt, mud, bird poo etc (you can see my yellow hose, which makes this a lot easier)

* Warm water and Autoglym shampoo, with a sponge

* rinse again using hose

* dry using Chamois leather

* Apply resin polish using special applicator (a sort of open glove that your fingers slot into)

* Apply elbow grease to get a good polish.  (No buffer used).

* Apply wax (spray)

* more elbow grease to get it really shiny

I do about 6 feet at a time for each step of the process.

The paint job was done in 2014, so is lasting pretty well. 

Shampoo and resin polish are on here: https://www.autoglym.com/best-sellers  . I think this is the wax: https://www.autoglym.com/products/bodywork/wax/rapid-aqua-wax-complete-kit

Edited by Scholar Gypsy
  • Greenie 4

16 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

* Wash the side of the boat with cold water to remove dirt, mud, bird poo etc (you can see my yellow hose, which makes this a lot easier)

* Warm water and Autoglym shampoo, with a sponge

* rinse again using hose

* Apply resin polish using special applicator (a sort of open glove that your fingers slot into)

* Apply elbow grease to get a good polish. 

* Apply wax (spray)

* more elbow grease to get it really shiny

I do about 6 feet at a time for each step of the process.

The paint job was done in 2014, so is lasting pretty well. 

Shampoo and resin polish are on here: https://www.autoglym.com/best-sellers  . I think this is the wax: https://www.autoglym.com/products/bodywork/wax/rapid-aqua-wax-complete-kit

thanks.. the Resin Polish contains silicone which some people steer clear of... you seem to get on fine with it though!!

I went onto detailing world and bought a recommended DA polisher, only to find that Autoglym worked well on the boat when done manually.  The DA polisher made it hard work and as far as I could see not as good.

Silicon is only a problem when you come to paint.  Then you have to wipe off with panel wipes, or is messes up the adhesion and finish.

Edited by Peanut
  • Greenie 1

That's impressive. I found that polishing my boat made the same massive difference (similar to your photo) but then within about a month it had faded quite considerably. Having said that, my paintwork was a lot older than your 9 year one so that would have had a bearing. Also I probably wasn't as thorough as you were!

Since my boat had a full re-paint 3 years ago it's been a so much easier job.

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

Nope. You lost me at that point as this seems WAY too much trouble and effort.

I like my boats looking scruffy and unkempt as makes them look as though there would be little to steal if broken into.

It worked until Mr Finch came along...

You have to be clear, when using the term polish. That term in some products means the addition of a cutting compound. These products are not for freshly painted boats. However, a wax and polish (elbow grease) is different. 

• Greenie 1

15 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

On new paint, no polish until it has had plenty of time to harden.

It was told to leave it at least a year after the re-paint (hand paint not spray paint) before I did the first polish. I managed to stretch that out until 2 years after 🙂

• Greenie 2

22 hours ago, Peanut said:

I went onto detailing world and bought a recommended DA polisher, only to find that Autoglym worked well on the boat when done manually.  The DA polisher made it hard work and as far as I could see not as good.

Silicon is only a problem when you come to paint.  Then you have to wipe off with panel wipes, or is messes up the adhesion and finish.

No wonder you're having problems if you're trying to polish a duck's a*se... 😉

• 2 weeks later...