Gloves

Bob Chamberlain

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, Bob Chamberlain said:

What type of gloves do people recommend for taking the helm in chilly weather?  I was thinking I could use my motorcycle gloves - but wouldn't want to damage them on ropes etc.  Did a quick search but couldn't really find much...

I used my motorbike gloves once, but I placed one on the cabin roof to drink my tea, and when I next looked it had gone.😞  It had obviously blown off. They were too thick to tie lines, so I would guess the most practical ones would be fingerless gloves.

I use  Sealskinz ski gloves but take them off for serious rope work. Very effective  and waterproof. Hard to get over wet fingers till you get the knack.

I have also used motorcycle gauntlets, which are not as good in cold weather, but OK in a typically UK summer.

Mitts might be worth looking at.

Usually serious ropework means we are trying up so cold  wet fingers can soon be sorted.

N

I use 'Mechanix' - light, hardwearing, still warm when wet and dry quickly. And cheap! Have used them long term even when handling ropes and the only wear so far is on one finger when I forgot I was not wearing my old oven glove and opened the fire to restock it - melted a bit on the end.

eta - sorry, should have said (lots of variants) - I use 'FastFit Mechanix'

Edited by Mike Tee

Gloves are fine while you're at the tiller but you should take gloves off to do anything with ropes in my opinion. It's very easy to get them caught between ropes along with your fingers and if the boat happens to put tension on the rope it can end badly. 

Stepping off the boat with a centre rope with gloved hands is probably ok but people should just get into the habit of taking off their gloves before they pick up a rope.

• Greenie 2

A second vote for Mechanix - i use the leather ones which are available on amazon but they're all good. I also keep my other hand in my pocket gloveless as i feel warmer that way. 

as for using ropes when tying i am bare handed but when pulling or initially slowing the boat i like to use gloves. 

14 hours ago, blackrose said:

Gloves are fine while you're at the tiller but you should take gloves off to do anything with ropes in my opinion. It's very easy to get them caught between ropes along with your fingers and if the boat happens to put tension on the rope it can end badly.

I can't think of any UK working boatman I've known who wore gloves, and unlike most pleasure boaters the life obviously includes winter snow and ice. We certainly never have done ourselves, and would not allow trainees on our barge-handling courses to do so either. Continental boatmen do if they are using wire ropes - generally the heavy duty ones as frequently found in gardening shops. I do know someone who now has less than the allocated number of fingers for exactly the reason given by blackrose.

Tam

On 18/10/2022 at 10:39, Tam & Di said:

I can't think of any UK working boatman I've known who wore gloves, and unlike most pleasure boaters the life obviously includes winter snow and ice. We certainly never have done ourselves, and would not allow trainees on our barge-handling courses to do so either. Continental boatmen do if they are using wire ropes - generally the heavy duty ones as frequently found in gardening shops. I do know someone who now has less than the allocated number of fingers for exactly the reason given by blackrose.

Tam

When taught seamanship, rope work, wire rope work etc etc in fact anything to do with rigging etc etc we were told to never wear gloves, too dangerous, too easy to lose a hand. You need to be completely in contact with whatever you are holding so know if you are getting it wrong. In fact a bollocking would have ensued, not that anyone ever did wear gloves. However holding the tiller of a small boat such as a narrowboat whilst bimbling along I dont see gloves being a problem, just take them off before coming alongside etc.

On 17/10/2022 at 19:03, Bob Chamberlain said:

Hmmm....wouldn't want to risk losing mine either!  Just thought I might have a pair of leather skiing gloves in the cupboard....they might be a good idea!

Run a string up one sleeve of your jacket and down the other, tie a glove to each end should keep them secure.  🤭

On 18/10/2022 at 10:39, Tam & Di said:

Tam

Interesting one that because all of the sailing chandlers sell sailing gloves specifically for use when hauling on sailing ropes (https://www.force4.co.uk/department/clothing/accessories/gloves), I always wore such gloves both for dinghy sailing and offshore since otherwise you are likely to end up with rope burns on your hands. I also had a lot of dealings with Brixham fisherman over the years, many of whom did not wear gloves (and none of whom wore lifejackets😱) and a lot of them were also incapable of counting to ten using only their fingers. The cause was often a cold hand caught in a winch chopping the finger off before you even feel it. I tend to wear the leather gardening style of glove when rope handling on the narrow boat, quite loose fitting so that if any part of the glove becomes trapped in anything I can pull my hand out of the glove. Wearing such gloves also makes lowering the the Ham Baker paddles on the Hatton flight easier without getting greasy crap all over your hands as you release the pawl and let the paddle down, braking it with your hand.

In terms of keeping one's hands warm in winter, I've always found the easiest way was to operate the tiller with it under your arm and keep both hands in your pockets.:)

2 hours ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Wearing such gloves also makes lowering the the Ham Baker paddles on the Hatton flight easier without getting greasy crap all over your hands as you release the pawl and let the paddle down, braking it with your hand. 

Thats one time I don't like gloves, I find they can grab