Take your litter home

LadyG

Featured Posts

Ok, I'm not talking to us lovely forumites.

It seems to be. a UK thing, folks come out in to the country and just litter the place.

I took a litter bag round my boat, in about 100 yards I'd filled my litter bag, included four wine bottles, and maybe a dozen cans. I left the black dog poo bags.

There are three benches.

Could we have a Minister for Litter please, might get some action.

I cannot understand this total disregard for littering.

A local pub has picnic benches, and they are littered with fag ends, no attempt to sweep up, that's The Mooring btw.

People leave plastic bags beside litter bins rather than pushing them in, ditto Fag ends.

Edited by LadyG

It's like dog poo gags. You ask any dog owner, they always pick up and take home (just like their dogs are always under control off lead). You ask any picnicker, they never leave litter. 

But whatever they say, they all do, sometimes. And it just adds up because no-one is now paid to clear up after them, which when I was a kid, they were. I worked as a street sweeper for a while with a guy who was genuinely proud of the state of his patch. First they got mechanised, then they got dumped and now there's no money for it. And, of course, everything is now plastic based so lasts for ever.

PS Well done for clearing up your area. If everyone did it...

Nothing to do with boaters but .....

Fascinated by TV News film of overflowing street litter bits in currently strike-hit cities. Lines of takeaway coffee cups in military ranks on top of the bins. Step forward, the litter fairies - where are you when we need you?

1 hour ago, Chris John said:

I always litter pick 2 boat lengths either side of my boat when I moor 

We do the same with the van because you can guarantee it will be motorhomes blamed for the rubbish not locals or day trippers with no morals or facilities. 

1 hour ago, Opener said:

Nothing to do with boaters but .....

Fascinated by TV News film of overflowing street litter bits in currently strike-hit cities. Lines of takeaway coffee cups in military ranks on top of the bins. Step forward, the litter fairies - where are you when we need you?

Had to get a train from Tamworth High Level to Coventry a few years ago. Coffee shop at the entrance but platforms have no bins. The embankment between the two levels was a sea of empty cups.

Edited by pearley

We live in a semi rural location with a bit of a grass verge between our hedge and the road, which is fairly busy. The nearest maccy d's is as least 15 mins drive away but usually pick.up one McDonald's wrapper every week... along with a beer cans fag packets etc 

I suspect the same people would be horrified if I dumped litter in their garden.

1 hour ago, pearley said:

Had to get a train from Tamworth High Level to Coventry a few years ago. Coffee shop at the entrance but platforms have no bins. The embankment between the two levels was a sea of empty cups.

I think bins were removed from station due to bombs. Certainly clear sacks are seen sometimes 

1 minute ago, jonathanA said:

We live in a semi rural location with a bit of a grass verge between our hedge and the road, which is fairly busy. The nearest maccy d's is as least 15 mins drive away but usually pick.up one McDonald's wrapper every week... along with a beer cans fag packets etc 

I suspect the same people would be horrified if I dumped litter in their garden.

They throw them out the car windows , anywhere 

Question from someone who aims to be a responsible CC'er - What do people do with their dog poo? When I know I'm heading back to the marina, I pick it for the bins. When Ive picked it up not knowing when the next disposable point is, it stinks on bags on my roof.  Better solutions at all?

43 minutes ago, DShK said:

Question from someone who aims to be a responsible CC'er - What do people do with their dog poo? When I know I'm heading back to the marina, I pick it for the bins. When Ive picked it up not knowing when the next disposable point is, it stinks on bags on my roof.  Better solutions at all?

If there is no dog poo bin handy, I put the poo bag on the front deck but out of the sun 🙂 and if I think it may be there a while before i will see a poo bin, , I put the poo bags into a big strong poly bag.  Stops them smelling  🙂 

58 minutes ago, DShK said:

I think I'd tend to put them in the gas locker at the front of the boat (on mine). Any unpleasant smells entering the boat would indicate that you have a leak between the locker that needs to be addressed. The advantage is that it will keep the bags out of the sunlight.

On a slight tangent, and to do with rubbish disposal, when I recently moored at Watermead Park mooring (Syston) someone had clearly had an issue with crap (plastic) around their prop and had been down the weed hatch to clear it and left it on the canalside. Since my view is that if you do that the wind will inevitably blow it back into the canal and it'll find it's way around someone else's prop so I collected it up and went in search of a litter bin. After about 10 minutes of fruitless searching in the park a dog walker approached me to ask if I had lost something. I told her I was looking for a litter bin to which she replied,"Oh no, we don't have any litter bins here, people have to take their rubbish home with them". I kind of get the thinking behind it but I'm now stuck with a big wadge of someone else's rubbish to get rid of. Not exactly ideal, but with a bit of crushing I managed to fill a dog waste bin with it, what was the alternative?:unsure:

Edited by Wanderer Vagabond

tbf to Rochdale, last time I passed through there I met a gang of litter pickers on some job creation scheme cleaning the canal

Perhaps once they've finished Rochdale (good luck to them!) they can start on the mess the dogs leave behind in some of the posher, prettier villages on that canal...

Some years ago my car lost its coolant at Junction 8 of the M62, close to the slip road into Burtonwood Services. Before calling the AA I decided to see if I could just refill with water from the toilets in the services, so I could limp home. But what to carry the water in? No problem. A very quick search of the verge produced several 2 litre size fizzy drink bottles, that could only have been dropped by passing cars.

As a womble, we have found that installing litter bins reduces litter. You cannot trust people to take their litter home. Installing the bins and ensuring that they are emptied regularly by a waste collection contractor has improved the area around the Northampton Arm no end. My wife should take some credit for this noting the huge contribution / support from the local IWA It really boils down to desire of people to do this. I cannot stand the argument that people should take litter home, therefore there is no need to supply bins. (Chase parish councils and / or local councils)

However, it is not perfect as too many people place litter in bags at the foot of the bin and do not put it inside the bin. Dogs, cats, foxes, vermin all distribute it over the locality assisted by the wind. A local takeaway did this.....

In our marina I am still saddened by people who either dump their rubbish at the foot of the bin or significantly overfill one bin when there is another one (or 2) that is (are) half empty literally next door! What is the mentality of these people?

11 hours ago, Cheshire cat said:

I worked in Rochdale for a long time. I'd like to think that things have improved but maybe not. The problem is a subset of society. I'm not sure what the solution is.

Remove the subset of society.  Its been done before.

10 hours ago, David Mack said:

Some years ago my car lost its coolant at Junction 8 of the M62, close to the slip road into Burtonwood Services. Before calling the AA I decided to see if I could just refill with water from the toilets in the services, so I could limp home. But what to carry the water in? No problem. A very quick search of the verge produced several 2 litre size fizzy drink bottles, that could only have been dropped by passing cars.

Not wishing to be the bearer of bad news but are you aware of what might have previously been in those bottles?(it is a regular practice of lorry drivers):sick:. On the other hand I'm reliably advised that such fluid is in fact sterile:)

• Haha 1

Kings Bromley Marina moorers do regular litter picking for a mile each side of their marina. The litter always particularly bad by a bridge just along from the marina which is popular with the bridge hopping boaters.

Regarding dog poo, when we had a dog I used to 'stick and flick' it into a hedge unless it was a particularly loose one, because even the biodegradable poo bags take time to biodegrade apparently, whereas 'naked' poo does so a lot quicker and I wasn't adding to the plastic pollution as much because I used far less bags.

• Greenie 1