Self-declared "private mooring"

Puffling

Featured Posts

I see the logic in the Ansty restriction but it could be compensated for by extending the piled bank back toward Brinklow on the other side of the village.

I think the local campaign is ‘Save Ansty Greenbelt’. As in keep it separated from Coventry. I can understand that too.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

There is a perfectly good reason: boats on the embankment are on a level with the bedrooms of the adjacent houses.

This is obvious to me too when cruising past.

I would have been applying pressure to BW then CRT to stop boats mooring along there if I lived in one of those houses. 

OTOH making them permanent CRT moorings populated by empty boats would stop stop dead all the noisy, smoky CCers from mooring there and invading the householders' privacy.

Edited by MtB
Add a bit.
  • Greenie 1

4 hours ago, Victor Vectis said:

Specificially the 'Private Mooring' (or perhaps 'No Mooring') signs on the towpath side of the GU just before the bridge at Wigram's Turn.

3 hours ago, Victor Vectis said:

Its on the genuine GU bit, not the joint GU/Oxford stretch, on the LHS if heading south just short of the junction.

If you are talking about the towpath that runs in front of Wigrams House together with the long garden to the side, I am fairly certain that it is not, and never was a wharf. The Wharf  was on the opposite side on the non towpath side and was sold by BW along with Wigrams house when they disposed of it.  When Peter sold Wigrams House, he retained ownership of the wharf and the fields behind it,  I used to moor there.

I do not remember any "No mooring" signs, although I do recollect an old small black and white on the fence gate, which was not legible from the canal, I always assumed it said "Wigrams House". To be honest, if there are no mooring signs there, they are somewhat superflouous, the canal is so shallow on that side, hardly any boats would be able to get into the bank.

Edited by David Schweizer

I had this on the Llangollen....about 500 yards before Grindley brook approaching from Llangollen direction, there is a house which I think had no mooring signs but don't recall if they were official. I didn't notice them as I pulled in to let off crew to go forward to establish where the back of the que for the locks was. I was standing there for perhaps 1 minute holding the boat on the centre line when the householder came out to ask what I was doing there. I didn't really engage with him as I was watching for a signal from my crew to proceed forward.....he mumbled something about not being allowed to moor there before clearing off. 

30 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

If you are talking about the towpath that runs in front of Wigrams House together with the long garden to the side, I am fairly certain that it is not, and never was a wharf. The Wharf  was on the opposite side on the non towpath side and was sold by BW along with Wigrams house when they disposed of it.  When Peter sold Wigrams House, he retained ownership of the wharf and the fields behind it,  I used to moor there.

I do not remember any "No mooring" signs, although I do recollect an old small black and white on the fence gate, which was not legible from the canal, I always assumed it said "Wigrams House". To be honest, if there are no mooring signs there, they are somewhat superflouous, as the canal is so shallow on that side, and hardly any boats would be able to get into the bank.

When I went to collect some stuff, that I bought from you, from Helvetia, I had just parked the car to walk up to the boat and a lady came rushing over from the other side of the ‘arm’ shouting I’m not allowed to park there etc. I stayed where I was parked. Some people get so animated for very little reason.

20 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

I stayed where I was parked. Some people get so animated for very little reason.

Yes, it can be fun watching them jumping up and down and squeaking though..

Edited by Athy

4 hours ago, Puffling said:

"

How many other such self-declared signs have members encountered?

There use to be one in Tipton at the end of John the Locks moorings but it didn't last long for some reason

1 hour ago, Athy said:

There is a perfectly good reason: boats on the embankment are on a level with the bedrooms of the adjacent houses.

It was all down to one lady who lived there about 20 years ago, not sure if she still does.  Jeff Graham fort it tooth and nail, before that you could moor and go the the club there . originally it was only in front of her house, I think it still says "Strictly no mooring" out side it.

• Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

There use to be one in Tipton at the end of John the Locks moorings but it didn't last long for some reason

It was all down to one lady who lived there about 20 years ago, not sure if she still does.  Jeff Graham fort it tooth and nail, before that you could moor and go the the club there . originally it was only in front of her house, I think it still says "Strictly no mooring" out side it.

You mean Jeff Dennison 

Benny Graham sang with him on occasions.

11 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Jeff Dennison?  who used to own Coronation. If we moored in Ansty it was a pleasure to met up with Jeff (Geoff?) and share a few pints in the club. 

• Greenie 1

5 hours ago, MrsM said:

If his house adjoins the towpath then how can it be private mooring (aka an end of garden mooring)? Think he's trying it on. 

Back in the 80's/80's there used to be a couple of official private moorings (towpath side) on the  eastern end of the Staffs & Works, one at Acton Trussell and one near the refinery/chemical works. 

However they are no longer there, so presumably relinquished when the properties changed hands.

2 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Ansty embankment is a no mooring area where there is a shortage of moorings.  I can see no good reason for the restriction.

Mooring is even harder there now that the visitor moorings opposite the pub have been turned into long-term moorings. 😠 There is only room for a couple of boats at Ansty now.

• Angry 1

Years ago we were cruising along and saw the same sort of signs, it was lunch time an ideal spot to moor so we did 🤣. After a while the owner came out and we had an exchange of views, we didn't move. Anyway Liz wandered up to the next lock to set it, to discover the paddle was broken! She came back and I phoned BW, a couple of hours later a man turned up at the boat to tell us it would be a couple of days before it would be repaired, I pointed out the sign to him he laughed and said ignore it. By the evening the house owner was seething other boats had joined us and a BBQ was on the go, the next day he didn't open his curtains and somehow his sign had gone missing 

Edited by peterboat
  • Happy 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, booke23 said:

I had this on the Llangollen....about 500 yards before Grindley brook approaching from Llangollen direction, there is a house which I think had no mooring signs but don't recall if they were official. I didn't notice them as I pulled in to let off crew to go forward to establish where the back of the que for the locks was. I was standing there for perhaps 1 minute holding the boat on the centre line when the householder came out to ask what I was doing there. I didn't really engage with him as I was watching for a signal from my crew to proceed forward.....he mumbled something about not being allowed to moor there before clearing off. 

That one has always annoyed me. There's no reason for it except the grumpy bloke who bought a canalside house and hates boats. I make a point these days of mooring up immediately behind the sign. It is now an official CRT sign. The first year BW put them up, they went missing one night when my screwdriver slipped...

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

That one has always annoyed me. There's no reason for it except the grumpy bloke who bought a canalside house and hates boats. I make a point these days of mooring up immediately behind the sign. It is now an official CRT sign. The first year BW put them up, they went missing one night when my screwdriver slipped...

Do you now carry it around Arthur for your personal use when mooring?  Can we all have our own signs?  I would like one saying "Do not moor within 50 yards, typhoid sufferer with bad mental health problems"

• Haha 1

I moored under trees during the recent heatwave and stayed there for a few days, running my engine for an hour to an hour and a half a day. There was a house on the non towpath side across and along from me. On the saturday I became aware of a noise and on looking out saw the resident of the house was throwing stones at my boat. He told me to move my boat. Being annoyed but not angry I tried to talk to him, explaining the unusual circumstances regarding the heat and need for shade as to the reason I was where I was but said householder went from telling me to move to threatening to torch my boat. If i ever left my boat just see what happened, as an unknown person would likely put my windows in-there would be no witnesses.  I had to this point kept my temper, just explaining I had every right to moor where I was and i did not want to move, but at this point i suggested that if an unknown person damaged my boat they were just likely to start breaking windows of houses next, as unknown vandals do, and his house seemed to have a lot of windows. At this he walked off telling me to move my boat and not come back.                       

I initially intended to stay where i was but decided that I was on the cut for an easy life so I reported what had happened to the Police and moved on. 18 years on the cut and he was by far the most objectionable waste of space I have ever met. I was moored just north of bridge 86 on the Trent and Mersey in a spot I have moored in several times before.

The Police visited said householder. He claimed he had been nice but I had not been reasonable. Advice given all parties.

• Greenie 2

There is a good place to moor between bridge's 29 and 28, Stratford Upon Avon canal, convenient Armco and the towpath has been nicely mown by the house adjacent. After Lapworth locks going for Birmingham, could not be better.

Then the 'LOUD', very loud music started up, from behind the hedge; the answer was obvious do not moor here, so after holding out for some time we had to move on.

43 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Yes, it's annoying when your screwdriver slips like that! I do wonder how he managed to get official CRT signage, like you say there is no good reason for it.

1 minute ago, booke23 said:

Yes, it's annoying when your screwdriver slips like that! I do wonder how he managed to get official CRT signage, like you say there is no good reason for it.

Just paint it yellow, then black marker it awaiting to be fixed.🤪

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Tractor said:

There is a good place to moor between bridge's 29 and 28, Stratford Upon Avon canal, convenient Armco and the towpath has been nicely mown by the house adjacent. After Lapworth locks going for Birmingham, could not be better.

Then the 'LOUD', very loud music started up, from behind the hedge; the answer was obvious do not moor here, so after holding out for some time we had to move on.

Sounds, (sorry no pun intended) like the place I referred to in my pervious post.

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

Mooring is even harder there now that the visitor moorings opposite the pub have been turned into long-term moorings. 😠 There is only room for a couple of boats at Ansty now.

Are the actually let now, just like the off side long term ones below Big Lock in Middlewich. I moor on the Ansty ones if going to the pub

6 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Are the actually let now, just like the off side long term ones below Big Lock in Middlewich. I moor on the Ansty ones if going to the pub

If a long term towpath mooring spot isn't obviously currently in use then why shouldn't people be allowed to moor on it over night? Seems a perfectly reasonable thing to do.

• Greenie 1

Just now, ditchcrawler said:

I think so. The last couple of times I've been that way and stopped at Ansty I have squeezed in just after the bridge and before the longterm moorings, opposite the big house.

The visitor moorings were changed to longterm ones just after BW knocked down the accomodation bridge that used to lead to the pub garden because the pub wouldn't contribute to the re-building costs. I thought that was churlish of them to deliberately make it difficult to moor near the pub and thus affect its profitability.