Diesel rationing ?.... 😳

Bobbybass

Featured Posts

14 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Just been on the East England news - Every supermarket in Lincoln sold out of Diesel.

Been diving up in Yorkshire today and pretty much every garage has diesel at around £1.89.9, odd ones at £1.79.9

Filled up when we got home in our local village garage (which is normally 5p - 10p more expensive than anywhere else) and he was £1.72.9. Low turnover , old stock ?

Here in the East its business as usual, as prices are normally higher than midlands etc.... only seems a little higher....

13 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Does the Times have any more credibility ?

Will the lights go out? Will petrol be rationed? How to solve an energy crisis | News | The Sunday Times (thetimes.co.uk)

Will the lights go out? Will petrol be rationed? How to solve an energy crisis

Russia is the world’s second biggest gas producer and third biggest oil baron. World leaders are desperately trying to wean themselves off its energy exports — and Boris Johnson will in the coming days publish a new energy strategy to ease the country out of Vladimir Putin’s grip. In the 1970s the lights went out during the last major energy crisis. How can the prime minister avoid a repeat?

While we are largely self-sufficient in petrol, with some coming from Norway, half our diesel is imported and a third of that comes from Russia. Johnson has pledged to phase out imports of Russian oil by the end of the year, but finding immediate replacements hinges on negotiations with the Middle East.

No, it doesn't. It's been rubbish for years. Even the crossword is crap.

Any newspaper that reports a Johnson pledge as if it's in the slightest bit credible is only useful for wrapping chips.

PS Glad to see he's still in with the Saudis  though. Nothing wrong with them. They executed over 80 people over the last few days, for crimes including thinking bad things about their government. We know who our friends are.

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

A friend of ours filled up with 285 litres of red at Burton Waters yesterday at £1.30 per litre, 100% domestic rate 😲

Eeks, does the panel think prices will level out, start to fall, or what?

Will red diesel still be readily available?

Anyone remember from historic fuel shortages? 

I was ready to top up tank in a couple of weeks, but I could wait a few months.

With all that's going on in the world, is there any point in forward planning?

I am currently stocking up on  Gin, Brandy (offer finishing today, 14th March)%, tonic water, and soda. Other than that I generally have a month's supply of essentials due to my policy of purchasing standard groceries and toiletries on offer. 

Food commodities are currently spiraling, some by 35% so Richie Sunak forecast of 15% food inflation is optimistic imho. 

Edited by LadyG

10 hours ago, Goliath said:

What’re folks paying for red at marinas and boat yards?

Boat club just been quoted £1.34 ltr from the wholesaler. That's almost double the last batch.

Edited by Midnight

5 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

The positive side of this is that it might stop people running their engines all day and half the night, thus making the canal a much nicer place to be.

A bit more sun on the solar panels might manage that without doubling the cost of actually moving the boat though...

20 minutes ago, frangar said:

I see there’s rumbling on certain boater Facebook groups that CRT should now drop the CC bylaws due to high fuel costs!! Apparently you should just stay where you are indefinitely….

Would that be the "No Boats Travel Anywhere" group of itinerant bargees ?

17 hours ago, Quattrodave said:

I'm with Frangar on this, the amount of lazy people in this country who seem to think sick pay is for topping up they're annual leave/holiday is appalling...!

I once worked with someone who's attitude was "We're allowed 20 days sick leave a year, I've only used six, wonder when I should take the other 14?" - he didn't last long...

15 hours ago, Slow and Steady said:

Depends what you do/overheads. Plenty of small computer based businesses with almost no overheads beyond wages - that was me once just heating a garden office with 3 of us in there, some design software and a few computers. :)

NI, training, holiday pay, sick pay, business rates . . .?

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

Eeks, does the panel think prices will level out, start to fall, or what?

Will red diesel still be readily available?

Anyone remember from historic fuel shortages? 

I was ready to top up tank in a couple of weeks, but I could wait a few months.

With all that's going on in the world, is there any point in forward planning?

I am currently stocking up on  Gin, Brandy (offer finishing today, 14th March)%, tonic water, and soda. Other than that I generally have a month's supply of essentials due to my policy of purchasing standard groceries and toiletries on offer. 

Food commodities are currently spiraling, some by 35% so Richie Sunak forecast of 15% food inflation is optimistic imho. 

I remember fuel rationing in 1973 and was recognized as a key Local Government worker worker who needed a car to perform my job. Somewhere, I still have my book of fuel tokens, which we never actially needed.

image.png.82625f5c16dead320fe656809bad0444.png

12 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

NI, training, holiday pay, sick pay, business rates . . .?

Of course - but the point is that one business turning over £100k could have £80K of "materials" and scrape along, another could have £5K. My business was extremely profitable as we were paid the same rates as a multinational engineering company that would have huge overheads and employees that didn't make much effort. used their sick pay as holiday entitlement etc. My chaps never claimed a single sick day as I paid them 1.5x the going rate and they appreciated that. I was definitely not normal, I employed musicians and other school failures as engineers and trained them myself. lol One of them went on to be a real sought after star in 3D engineering design.

Edited by Slow and Steady

I remember those coupon books. Printed on special paper having a predominant base colour and incorporating fibres of a different colour, no doubt as a security measure. 

In the 1960's one if my cousins became  a computer programmer in the civil service. Although a   civilian, most of his working life was spent at various military bases in the UK and Europe. He once  mentioned that he was positively encouraged to take his full entitlement of sick pay every year.  That was not my experience when I was a civil servant in the 1970's and 80's.

Edited by Ronaldo47

1 hour ago, frangar said:

I see there’s rumbling on certain boater Facebook groups that CRT should now drop the CC bylaws due to high fuel costs!! Apparently you should just stay where you are indefinitely….

Excellent news! 

Does this mean I can cancel my two CRT long term moorings but stay on them and save myself £600 a month? 

Brilliant....

All my neighbours will think so too.

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Oil prices have taken bit of a dive today for some reason

Probably cause by the optimism being expressed that the Russia/Ukraine talks today might yield some progress.

Also, that Boris will succeed in sweet-talking the Saudis into raising production as part of the plan to freeze Russia out of the global fuels market.