Diesel rationing ?.... 😳

Bobbybass

Featured Posts

40 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

I remember fuel rationing in 1973 and was recognized as a key Local Government worker worker who needed a car to perform my job. Somewhere, I still have my book of fuel tokens, which we never actially needed.

image.png.82625f5c16dead320fe656809bad0444.png

And at exactly the same time we were told to use dipped headlights at night even in well lit areas.  how much more fuel the use headlamps is is quite substantial. I think the 70mph speed limit came in then too.

Edited by bizzard
  • Haha 1

Just now, bizzard said:

I think the 70mph speed limit came in then too.

I think the 70 limit had been in force a few years by then. My great uncle Jack died in about 1965 and his will specified his funeral cortege was to drive at 100mph for ten miles on the recently opened stretch of the M1 past Bedford and MK. (He liked his fast cars.)

Sadly the national speed limit of 70mph came in a few days before the funeral and the hearse driver refused to go over 70mph, sadly. 

I think in the 73 fuel crisis, the national speed limit was lowered to 50mph.

And indeed we now have vehicles with headlights on in broad daylight, some come on automatically, we are now being dazzl;ed by day as well as by night and wastings many many thousands of gallons of fuel to boot.

2 minutes ago, MtB said:

I think the 70 limit had been in force a few years by then. My great uncle Jack died in about 1965 and his will specified his funeral cortege was to drive at 100mph for ten miles on the recently opened stretch of the M1 past Bedford and MK. (He liked his fast cars.)

Sadly the national speed limit of 70mph came in a few days before the funeral and the hearse driver refused to go over 70mph, sadly. 

I think in the 73 fuel crisis, the national speed limit was lowered to 50mph.

Ah, I tink yer roight.

2 minutes ago, bizzard said:

And indeed we now have vehicles with headlights on in broad daylight, some come on automatically, we are now being dazzl;ed by day as well as by night and wastings many many thousands of gallons of fuel to boot.

I think nowadays they are being wasted in litres. 

45 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

I remember fuel rationing in 1973 and was recognized as a key Local Government worker worker who needed a car to perform my job. Somewhere, I still have my book of fuel tokens, which we never actially needed.

image.png.82625f5c16dead320fe656809bad0444.png

Still got mine - they may come in useful early April (the time under discussion for introducing rationing if the new OPEC agreed figure are not forthcoming)

20220314-111736-1.jpg

36 minutes ago, MtB said:

Excellent news! 

Does this mean I can cancel my two CRT long term moorings but stay on them and save myself £600 a month? 

Brilliant....

All my neighbours will think so too.

Good luck with suggesting a similar arrangement with Gregg for your other boat.

30 minutes ago, MtB said:

Also, that Boris will succeed in sweet-talking the Saudis into raising production as part of the plan to freeze Russia out of the global fuels market.

That's what I assumed would happen. The people running the Middle Eastern oil wells are not fools, and if they are presented with the opportunity of flogging a lot more oil, they will surely take it - though at what price remains to be seen.

This sudden dip in oil prices has come too late for me. Yesterday I ordered (as a routine, rather than panic, purchase) domestic heating oil. The last lot cost £330; this consignment will be £507. Gulp....

How to save a lot of fuel. If whilst driving along switch of all silly electric gadgetry, electric seats, wireless, sat-lav, headlights ect ect, disconnect electric power steering which most cars now have, you don't need it, rub your windsreen with a raw potato, rain will just run off without using the wipers, blow yer tyres up ever so hard, try to drive along with a following wind.  But most of all cut the gross weight down by going on a very strict diet.

3 minutes ago, Athy said:

That's what I assumed would happen. The people running the Middle Eastern oil wells are not fools, and if they are presented with the opportunity of flogging a lot more oil, they will surely take it - though at what price remains to be seen.

This sudden dip in oil prices has come too late for me. Yesterday I ordered (as a routine, rather than panic, purchase) domestic heating oil. The last lot cost £330; this consignment will be £507. Gulp....

I should have ordered but the price was flexible so with the weather improving I held off. They were taking a payment of £1.10 and then adjusting it today.

Just now, bizzard said:

How to save a lot of fuel. If whilst driving along switch of all silly electric gadgetry, electric seats, wireless, sat-lav, headlights ect ect, disconnect electric power steering which most cars now have, you don't need it, rub your windsreen with a raw potato, rain will just run off without using the wipers, blow yer tyres up ever so hard, try to drive along with a following wind.  But most of all cut the gross weight down by going on a very strict diet.

And not carrying a tank full of diesel around with you. If you have a hybrid can you leave the battery at home?

3 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I should have ordered but the price was flexible so with the weather improving I held off. They were taking a payment of £1.10 and then adjusting it today.

And not carrying a tank full of diesel around with you. If you have a hybrid can you leave the battery at home?

Indeed, good point.   Omit my potato wheeze for the vwindscreen, it might cause another potato famine if everyone starts doing it.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Also, only drive to places that are downhill all the way. This is a best fuel-saving tip of all, and you forgot to mention it Bizz. Are you losing your touch??!

15 minutes ago, frangar said:

Just filled the car up at Costco in Essex for 162.7p for diesel. That was different to the Costco website which said 157.9p. Seems it’s still going up by the hour. Bit of a queue but all pumps working. 

Macclesfield was 169.9 when I went for a haircut. When I came home an hour later it was 171.9. Filled up Tesco's in Birkenhead last night at 154.9. Someone somewhere it extracting the wotsit.

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

The positive side of this is that it might stop people running their engines all day and half the night, thus making the canal a much nicer place to be.

Wise words, we missed you ❤️

My recollection is that (at one point at least)  the 50mph limit did not apply to motorways. I remember a trip to Kent at that time, where the speed limits on the three-lane dual carriageway A2 and the two-lane dual carriageway M2 were 50 and 70mph respectively.

1 hour ago, nb Innisfree said:

Oi remembers when oi were a lad raationin' durin' Suez crisis in early 50s.

Not sure why I spoke like that 🤔

I also remember petrol rationing in  1956. If i recall correctly dad received an allowance of 2 gallons per week (9.1 litres). The car probably did less than 30 miles per gallon so 50-60 miles a week. It just about got him to and from work. No such thing as school runs in those days, we walked.

1 hour ago, bizzard said:

And at exactly the same time we were told to use dipped headlights at night even in well lit areas.  how much more fuel the use headlamps is is quite substantial. I think the 70mph speed limit came in then too.

I had coupons, plus Green shield stamps, those were the days 😉

18 minutes ago, Slim said:

I also remember petrol rationing in  1956. If i recall correctly dad received an allowance of 2 gallons per week (9.1 litres). The car probably did less than 30 miles per gallon so 50-60 miles a week. It just about got him to and from work. No such thing as school runs in those days, we walked.

L plate drivers were allowed to be unaccompanied, really handy for some mums. 

1 hour ago, bizzard said:

Empty bowels before driving, every bit helps.