Diesel rationing ?.... 😳

Bobbybass

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, MtB said:

Cue queues !!

Just been on the East England news - Every supermarket in Lincoln sold out of Diesel.

Been diving up in Yorkshire today and pretty much every garage has diesel at around £1.89.9, odd ones at £1.79.9

Filled up when we got home in our local village garage (which is normally 5p - 10p more expensive than anywhere else) and he was £1.72.9. Low turnover , old stock ?

Edited by Alan de Enfield

5 minutes ago, Quattrodave said:

A few years ago I fired an employee.  They had taken 2 weeks off sick, I then found out they had posted a Greek holiday on social media, not the smartest move.... When confronted they didn't see the harm but why should input my hand in may pocket to fund they're holiday....!

Indeed....Its often thought that the government picks up the sick pay tab but its the company that foots the bill and has to cover the absence....

2 hours ago, Ray T said:

Que panic buying and queues at the pumps!

Our Asda had sold out of diesel and closed all the pumps yesterday

2 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

I'm starting a rumour that most of the UK's toilet paper is made in Russia and they are banning its export to get a repeat of the panic buying of two years ago.

Why, have you still got a stock 👿

22 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Just been on the East England news - Every supermarket in Lincoln sold out of Diesel.

Been diving up in Yorkshire today and pretty much every garage has diesel at around £1.89.9, odd ones at £1.79.9

Filled up when we got home in our local village garage (which is normally 5p - 10p more expensive than anywhere else) and he was £1.72.9. Low turnover , old stock ?

We were out in Lincolnshire this weekend at Woodhall Spa.

Passed loads of petrol stations today on our way home. Most expensive was £1.95 per litre for diesel on the A1 and the cheapest was £1.63 per litre at the Sainsburys petrol station on the A57 in Worksop.

Well I have just filled up at 1.68 near Huddersfield - I read this thread and confess that I panicked as my tank is empty and I need to get back South on Tuesday, and we have seen how these irresponsible sons of bachelors can create "shortages".

I would have filled up in Morrison's on Friday when I drove past, but apparently they had sold out of everything.

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

I think they do rationing the wrong way, It should be a minimum of 25 lts so people wouldn't just drive round topping their tanks up but if you need to do a journey you would have enough to get there.

Maybe just getting everyone used to 'range anxiety' for when we have to go electric.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Bacchus said:

I read this thread and confess that I panicked as my tank is empty and I need to get back South on Tuesday, and we have seen how these irresponsible sons of bachelors can create "shortages

Not singling you out for your fuelling behaviour, but what you write is quite funny - in the same sentence you're panic brimming your tank and deriding others doing exactly the same as irresponsible barstewards. It's funny how easy it is to pronounce that others are just driving from garage to garage filling their tanks for the sake of it, but last time I was on a motorway it was chock rammed full of people actually going somewhere. :)

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Quattrodave said:

It's certainly possible to earn £100k pa, just not very common.  my guess is the business makes £100k pa from which a number of people are paid.

'Number' probably being no more than one for a £100k pa business!

19 minutes ago, Slow and Steady said:

Not singling you out for your fuelling behaviour, but what you write is quite funny - in the same sentence you're panic brimming your tank and deriding others doing exactly the same as irresponsible barstewards. It's funny how easy it is to pronounce that others are just driving from garage to garage filling their tanks for the sake of it, but last time I was on a motorway it was chock rammed full of people actually going somewhere. :)

No, I realised the irony, but I don't think I was "brimming" my tank whilst deriding others - that was why I added the anecdote of calling in at Morrison's two days ago, finding it empty, and not panicking then (in fact, on Friday I was on my way home from Sainsbury's - I decided not to fill up there because Morrison's have pay-at-the-pump and I thought that would be quicker and easier), but I am "actually goings somewhere" - I am two hundred miles from home with less than fifty miles in the tank. I need to get home tomorrow, and as carer for my 98 year old mother, I need to get back to her house afterwards.

• Greenie 1

30 minutes ago, David Mack said:

'Number' probably being no more than one for a £100k pa business!

Depends what you do/overheads. Plenty of small computer based businesses with almost no overheads beyond wages - that was me once just heating a garden office with 3 of us in there, some design software and a few computers. :)

I seem to remember that, at the time when fuels were reformulated last year, we were  advised to always keep our tanks filled up to reduce the chance of  deterioration caused by exposure to atmospheric moisture. 

It is something I have always done since the 1970's fuel crisis anyway, having once run out of fuel in a queue on a filling station forecourt and having had to push my car the last few tens of yards to the pump.

Edited by Ronaldo47
1970's comment added

4 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Depends on the source of the news. If the Mail it won't affect any of us because it won't be true.

Does the Times have any more credibility ?

Will the lights go out? Will petrol be rationed? How to solve an energy crisis | News | The Sunday Times (thetimes.co.uk)

Will the lights go out? Will petrol be rationed? How to solve an energy crisis

Russia is the world’s second biggest gas producer and third biggest oil baron. World leaders are desperately trying to wean themselves off its energy exports — and Boris Johnson will in the coming days publish a new energy strategy to ease the country out of Vladimir Putin’s grip. In the 1970s the lights went out during the last major energy crisis. How can the prime minister avoid a repeat?

While we are largely self-sufficient in petrol, with some coming from Norway, half our diesel is imported and a third of that comes from Russia. Johnson has pledged to phase out imports of Russian oil by the end of the year, but finding immediate replacements hinges on negotiations with the Middle East.

Getting red's going to be particularly fun. Filled up at a hire base, who told me that if they didn't find another wholesaler that could actually still supply them they'd be saving it for their hirers soon, and they didn't think tradesman losing the right to red soon was going to help supply reliability any more than Vlad. Could be Calor all over again.

And they were 11p cheaper than the other pump on that stretch!

I will require some petrol for my lovely smoooooooooooooth not stinky, petrol car tomorrow. No queues anywhere here for petrol or diesel. Maybe no one else is on the canal forum 🤣

23 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I will require some petrol for my lovely smoooooooooooooth not stinky, petrol car tomorrow. No queues anywhere here for petrol or diesel. Maybe no one else is on the canal forum 🤣

Queues for Petrol at all the supermarkets round here.

5 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I saw a 31p range in diesel prices today: lowest was 163.8, highest 194.9