Is This The Worst Example Of Canal Art?

Tim Lewis

Featured Posts

Looks like we could get something similar Min-festival feel to hit Beccles East Suffolk | Lowestoft Journal I don't even know what a marsh pony is so I may need to go to find out. I don't think we ever had wild ponies in this part of the world.

A spokesman for the First Light Festival CIC said: "Located mainly within the New Market area of the town, the centre piece will be a set of three life-size marsh ponies created by local artists Sarah Cannell, Rachael Long and Andy Jarrett.

Most Read

expand_moreMORE

As someone who likes art, but unlike music, I'm no good at it, I don't see what is wrong here. Art is many things, it isn't just to decorate, any more than music is just something to dance to. This piece combines many canal related themes including bring the best known canal folk art in and putting it on the literal work horse that started the industrial revolution. 

That's not to say I like it, but I can see what it's getting at

Edited by magpie patrick

As a working signwriter and boat decorator, I would have altered the position of the half diamonds on the legs so that the darker red and blue are interspersed with the lighter white and yellow. If, as I suspect, the horse was painted by a signwriter unfamiliar with the traditions then I’m disinclined to be too picky.

• Greenie 1

Showed my 8 yo granddaughter it and she thinks it's 'cool'.

I guess as a way of getting something noticed and talked about its a resounding success.

Edited by The Happy Nomad
Add missing word

That's a bit of a shock to the eye. (Hand painted by : https://tinyurl.com/2p8m65zh )

This represents a Shunting horse rather than a boat horse as scores of them were used in and around railway yards in London and elsewhere. So in a way, a little misleading to cover it with boat decoration. Still, catches the eye . . . which could be repelled or attracted.

http://www.crht1837.org/history/horsesstables

http://www.crht1837.org/history/stationaryengines

The tunnels still exist for the ropeways beneath ground and there were plans to open them up with restaurants and the like, that's if the economy survives the current situation.

Edited by Derek R.

1 hour ago, dave moore said:

As a working signwriter and boat decorator, I would have altered the position of the half diamonds on the legs so that the darker red and blue are interspersed with the lighter white and yellow. If, as I suspect, the horse was painted by a signwriter unfamiliar with the traditions then I’m disinclined to be too picky.

If it was, as you suggest, painted by a sign writer unfamiliar with the traditions. they have done a fair job. I agree with you about the diamom[nds, but they have clearly studied some more traditional decoration to achive the overall effect, and have included small decorative features such as the Fleur-de-lis on the legs which many people would not recognise as being traditional. The roses are a bit too gaudy for me but are not dissimilar from some seen on boats, on the other hand, the yellow on the leaves is seriously overdone! It is a nice try, but a pity they did not ask someone like you or Meg to do it.