Boat sinks “lock keeper bang out of order”

PD1964

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

And the Monty?

Its official, you cannot call someone an idiot on here.  Even if they are.

I got reported for it;  did you or am I being victimised by Athy?

Is it sexual or ageist discrimination?

Does Athy know how old you are?

12 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

I agree that this is a problem, but see my earlier comment.  There are a lot more of these that have a mooring location code on their licence -  suggesting that most of them have a home mooring - but it always turns into a rant about CCers.

Is that why C&RT want to change the T&C to treat boaters with a home mooring the same as a CCer when away from their home mooring

1 hour ago, TheBiscuits said:

You're doing it now.  

What if the friend is a she?  Or indeed non-binary ...

Well if actresses are now actors, we must all be male!  In future I will try to remember HE/SHE/IT to cover all possibilities. You cannot blame me, its getting more and more difficult to establish a definite gender for anyone...............................

1 minute ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Well if actresses are now actors, we must all be male!  In future I will try to remember HE/SHE/IT to cover all possibilities.

I just use SHEIT to describe other people - and you can bet I double checked the spelling! :D

3 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

You cannot blame me, its getting more and more difficult to establish a definite gender for anyone...............................

:clapping:

8 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Well if actresses are now actors, we must all be male!  In future I will try to remember HE/SHE/IT to cover all possibilities. You cannot blame me, its getting more and more difficult to establish a definite gender for anyone...............................

I have a niece who has decided that she id gender neutral, not she or he, so do I refer to them as it

5 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I have a niece who has decided that she id gender neutral, not she or he, so do I refer to them as it

Typo or intentional? ('Id' is the Latin for 'it').

And is it still a niece? Or is there a gender non-specific term for one's sibling's child?

Edited by David Mack

Couldn't be bothered to read the entire thread but I'd just like to say that their situation is very sad and they aren't the first and they certainly won't be the last to suffer such an experience.

I hope that the ''know it alls'' managed to refrain from being harsh to someone in a very unfortunate situation that happens all too often on the Thames.

Keith

1 hour ago, TheBiscuits said:

I agree that this is a problem, but see my earlier comment.  There are a lot more of these that have a mooring location code on their licence -  suggesting that most of them have a home mooring - but it always turns into a rant about CCers.

I'd agree there is a mixture of both, with the ratio changing depending on the location i suspect, but doubt those with an existing home mooring would be in the majority in most locations. To clarify, i wasn't aiming my comment at a particular group based on mooring status, just the behaviour of those doing the above. 

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Mike Adams said:

If CaRT asked boaters to notify them electronically they would have the data!

I am not sure what data collection would address the allegation to which I was responding, namely that visitor moorings taken up by empty boats spaced out. In any event, CaRT would have to satisfy the Data Protection Regulator that they are permitted and justified in collecting such data and then storing it.

8 minutes ago, BWM said:

I'd agree there is a mixture of both, with the ratio changing depending on the location i suspect, but doubt those with an existing home mooring would be in the majority in most locations.

Take a look for yourself when you get the opportunity - if it says BW-065-007 on the licence it's a CCer, anything else and it has a home mooring (or at least that was the case when the licence was purchased.)

10 minutes ago, BWM said:

To clarify, i wasn't aiming my comment at a particular group based on mooring status, just the behaviour of those doing the above. 

No, I didn't take your comment that way - it was an observation on how this topic nearly always degenerates.  The CCer who turned up on the 48 hour visitor moorings an hour ago is ranted about, but very rarely does the Commodore of the boat club who has been on there since Tuesday to "get a good spot for the rally next weekend" get the same treatment ...

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

30 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Take a look for yourself when you get the opportunity - if it says BW-065-007 on the licence it's a CCer, anything else and it has a home mooring (or at least that was the case when the licence was purchased.)

No, I didn't take your comment that way - it was an observation on how this topic nearly always degenerates.  The CCer who turned up on the 48 hour visitor moorings an hour ago is ranted about, but very rarely does the Commodore of the boat club who has been on there since Tuesday to "get a good spot for the rally next weekend" get the same treatment ...

I must admit that i'm very much from the old school in not differentiating between moorers and cc's (in fact labels in general most often lead to conflict and tribalism), some of this is probably down to the general dislike for liveaboards whatever their status that was the norm when we first started out. Anyone who came on to the canals after the mid 2000's would probably not have experienced this!

31 minutes ago, BWM said:

I must admit that i'm very much from the old school in not differentiating between moorers and cc's (in fact labels in general most often lead to conflict and tribalism), some of this is probably down to the general dislike for liveaboards whatever their status that was the norm when we first started out. Anyone who came on to the canals after the mid 2000's would probably not have experienced this!

I know I keep saying this, but in thirty years of boating, part leisure, part liveaboard, I have never heard anyone express a general

dislike of either CCers or liveaboards. I do find it unlikely that someone dumping their boat on the towpath for months on end is also paying several grand for a mooring, but I suppose it may be true - I haven't examined people's licences in the detail some on here obviously do. If it is true, that's probably why the T&Cs got changed.

I'll be really glad when were back out boating again though. I'd rather have all the petty annoyances than this eternal lockdown. Anyway, finished yesterday's pie,  got to make the chips now...

4 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

So called dumpers are putting less strain on the canal infrastructure than cc'ers, but they pay in just as much.

If you take that to its logical conclusion boats in a marina, rarely moving, are best.   They are putting virtually no strain on the infrastructure and paying more (licence plus % of mooring fee).

1 minute ago, Jerra said:

If you take that to its logical conclusion boats in a marina, rarely moving, are best.   They are putting virtually no strain on the infrastructure and paying more (licence plus % of mooring fee).

There's no 'best'.  Just different ways of boating.  So long as they're not breaking the rules, I suggest the moaners on here try getting a life.

2 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

There's no 'best'.  Just different ways of boating.  So long as they're not breaking the rules, I suggest the moaners on here try getting a life.

Sorry b ut when the statement brings in differentials like they don't put as much strain on the infra structure and pay the same the implication is one is better than the other.    There would be no reason for mentioning the difference otherwise.

13 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Absolutely the best - and I was told that something like 85% of all marina boats on CRT waters are never logged anywhere else a few years back.

That's a lot of licence money for boats that rarely go further than the pub mooring on a couple of Saturdays a year.

12 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Colloquially known as git-gaps.

No, a git-gap is where the boat is moored in the middle of a gap which precludes others mooring in the space. You only know this if you see it moor. Machpoints explanation is credible.