Can we cruise again?

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

I welcome different viewpoints but there are limits to my tolerance levels.  When a person continually contradicts themselves and then resorts to deflecting and insulting when it's called out, I see no further point in engaging with them.

I have never barred anyone (and there used to be some right plonkers on here when I first joined), there is still at least one. 

It's not worth getting annoyed because someone posts drivel, even if it appears to be provocative and patently idiotic drivel. Sometimes they haven't thought the post through, occasionally they are having a laugh and often, they are doing their best but just can't raise their game. You have to remember that there is an exactly fifty percent chance that any poster has an IQ below 100.

That said, mrs melly has given me some good technical advice from time to time over the years. The (apparently) enormous gap between our respective political positions has not mattered a jot.

If anyone sees us cruising, we’re not. We are travelling to get a pump out. We stopped using the pump out loo five-six or even seven weeks ago. It’s not full but it chucks up a bit. So I have contacted a local marina and they are open for services. So later today and tomorrow we are on the move.

Just saying like!

10 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

If anyone sees us cruising, we’re not. We are travelling to get a pump out. We stopped using the pump out loo five-six or even seven weeks ago. It’s not full but it chucks up a bit. So I have contacted a local marina and they are open for services. So later today and tomorrow we are on the move.

Just saying like!

Possibly the most enjoyable pump out trip ever!

Don’t get me started on teachers.

• Haha 1

I've never understood why teachers overwork, why they don't collectively refuse to carry the silly load that they do.  There is no way kids need to cover the amount of stuff they are asked to do, my Latin, Greek, Art & Music was a complete waste of time.  Child education is largely about keeping them off the streets, Education is something that should be lifelong, not just something for young people. And their academic year is an anachronism.

My youngest sons fianće (female) in case I got it wrong. Is a year six teacher. (Before they go to secondary). She’s very good by all accounts.

When things were ‘normal’ she would leave home at 0715in the morning. Return home about 1700. Loaded with books, laptop and all sorts, not the Bertie Basset type. She would spend at least 2.5-3 hours marking work. Colour coded marking, not just plain old good bad or indifferent. At weekends some marking to be done and on Sunday preparatory work for the coming week. Not a bad working week, work out an hourly wage and she doesn’t earn a great deal. Went to College and Uni for five years to qualify.

Dont get me started on teachers ??

6 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

I've never understood why teachers overwork, why they don't collectively refuse to carry the silly load that they do.  There is no way kids need to cover the amount of stuff they are asked to do, my Latin, Greek, Art & Music was a complete waste of time.  Child education is largely about keeping them off the streets, Education is something that should be lifelong, not just something for young people. And their academic year is an anachronism.

For the past twenty odd years I’ve been spouting that we should really go to school in our late twenties. I, for one would have realised the importance of listening, learning and passing exams to get qualifications.

28 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Just saying like!

Don't worry about it. I dare say there are one or two curtain twitchers on this site but the vast majority will realise, I'm sure, that you cruising down the middle of a canal, a long way from anyone else, is highly unlikely to lead to the destruction of the NHS. Enjoy your cruise. 

I used to teach dinghy sailing evenings and weekends, adults and children. Saturday afternoons and two evenings during the week parties of school children accompanied by there school master or mistress, we did go for a pint afterwards.

Mr Quelch about to thrash Billy Bunter.

Bunter.jpg

48 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

That bit I really strongly object to. Without music my life would be unbearable.

43 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

That's a question I've asked many times over the years, never got a good (in my opinion) answer. I guess it comes down to the relationship they have with their pupils and a love of the job. 

its not a troll post to say what you think, just because others don't approve.

I think teaching to kids is a difficult job, but it is a well compensated profession for the amount of work, qualification and intelligence needed. 

Edited by restlessnomad
  • Greenie 3

7 minutes ago, restlessnomad said:

its not a troll post to say what you think, just because others don't approve.

I think teaching to kids is a difficult job, but it is a well compensated profession for the amount of work, qualification and intelligence needed. 

If you dont support the dominant paradigm, you are automatically wrong current thinking amongst those wishing offence.  That’s why universities end up with nonsense  safe zone policies, to protect people who should be able to think and make judgements .

i seem to remember engaging the national front and the slough skinheads in vigorous discussion,(1)  when at university, rather than simply banning what they were saying. 

1) so vigorous at concerts involving mixed bands like ub40 the specials and the selector, the police were involved

Mr Smelly has a a strong personal viewpoint. I suspect he would also run to help those in trouble. He is not a troll he is in plain sight, complete with target.

• Greenie 2

20 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

If you dont support the dominant paradigm, you are automatically wrong current thinking amongst those wishing offence.  That’s why universities end up with nonsense  safe zone policies, to protect people who should be able to think and make judgements .

i seem to remember engaging the national front and the slough skinheads in vigorous discussion,(1)  when at university, rather than simply banning what they were saying. 

1) so vigorous at concerts involving mixed bands like ub40 the specials and the selector, the police were involved

Mr Smelly has a a strong personal viewpoint. I suspect he would also run to help those in trouble. He is not a troll he is in plain sight, complete with target.

when people have different views, it leads to interesting arguments and conversations, makes the world is a less dull place. 

I can't be 'offended' by somebody expressing strong opinion, even highly distasteful and dangerous ( supporting fgm or genocide for example), if it is expressed in a cogent and respectful manner. I hate when adults cannot hold a proper conversation, throw temper tantrum, talk in abusive manner, engage in intellectual dishonesty, even if I broadly agree with the point they are making. 

Edited by restlessnomad
  • Greenie 2

2 hours ago, frahkn said:

I have never barred anyone (and there used to be some right plonkers on here when I first joined), there is still at least one. 

It's not worth getting annoyed because someone posts drivel, even if it appears to be provocative and patently idiotic drivel. Sometimes they haven't thought the post through, occasionally they are having a laugh and often, they are doing their best but just can't raise their game. You have to remember that there is an exactly fifty percent chance that any poster has an IQ below 100.

That said, mrs melly has given me some good technical advice from time to time over the years. The (apparently) enormous gap between our respective political positions has not mattered a jot.

Are you sure that IQ < 100 is a 50% chance? Median v Average?

2 hours ago, restlessnomad said:

I can't be 'offended' by somebody expressing strong opinion, even highly distasteful and dangerous ( supporting fgm or genocide for example)

FGM is common place, routine, completely normal in many cultures in various parts the world. As is male genital mutilation.

3 hours ago, restlessnomad said:

it is a well compensated profession for the amount of work, qualification and intelligence needed

As it should be, as all professions should be, and as all work should be. 

Regardless of how qualified or intelligent the worker may be (I'm thinking eg NHS cleaning staff, without whom we would be stuffed).

1 hour ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

FGM is common place, routine, completely normal in many cultures in various parts the world. As is male genital mutilation.

Yes, it is, but SFW?

2 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

Are you sure that IQ < 100 is a 50% chance? Median v Average?

If the group is large enough the median and the average of the standard IQ curve should be the same.

I did consider that the number of active posters might be too small, or for that matter, that boaters might not be a representative sample e.g. they may be brighter than average, rather as I assume fishermen are the opposite. I thought this would be getting too far into a potentially complex area.

You could start a new thread though.

23 minutes ago, frahkn said:

If the group is large enough the median and the average of the standard IQ curve should be the same.

I did consider that the number of active posters might be too small, or for that matter, that boaters might not be a representative sample e.g. they may be brighter than average, rather as I assume fishermen are the opposite. I thought this would be getting too far into a potentially complex area.

You could start a new thread though.

As I understand it, IQ tests are developed in order to produce a normal distribution rather than helping to demonstrate that the actual population has a normally distributed IQ (if that means something other than a test score) Since performance on an IQ Test is to some extent dependent on other factors that can vary with time, some dubious assumptions can easily be made to justify the original claim. 

When I was a child my father ( a teacher) used to make me sit multiple IQ tests, the result of this was when I had to do one for real I got a high score having learnt the methodology and how to "pass" the test.

Its something I have carried through life swotting up on the questions asked and knowing the answers not necessarily understanding the subject ;)

Edited by Loddon

Sadly it's all too common. I've been teaching adults for the last 15 years. A damn sight easier than teaching kids I'm sure but still a bit of a grind. Too many of them want to focus on the exam questions rather than having a command of the subject matter that their employer is hoping they will acquire.