Can we cruise again?

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Well since I started the thread and your first contribution was a single word....

News is on now on Beeb 1 going through the fifty page document.

Only bit I can find relevant is

People may drive to outdoor open spaces irrespective of distance, so long as they respect social distancing guidance while they are there, because this does not involve contact with people outside your household.

But is a boat an outside space?

and will your marina let you in as this could cause contact with people outside your household. Mine has said they won't in an 'all moorers' email but that could get difficult after Wednesday.

I could find no reference to second homes in the document.

the above refers to the 50 page document. but note it is a proposal to parliament so could get changed.

Edited by Detling
additional info

3 hours ago, matty40s said:

Essential navigation was never banned.

If a fisherman can sit on a towpath,  and a canoe go up and down, I can make my own mind up thankyou.

Boating as in cruising was and as yet not relaxed.  Essential travel by boat or any other means of transport was not banned.  The new announcements does not mean we can all go boating again presently. However, I quoted the official information and instruction from CRT it is up to you if you ignore it.  We may see some further guidance from them later this week.

You of course can make up your own mind to honour the regulations or face the possibility of fines etc.  You may also find that in some places the navigation has been closed by physical barrier just now

Edited by churchward

2 minutes ago, Detling said:

Only bit I can find relevant is

People may drive to outdoor open spaces irrespective of distance, so long as they respect social distancing guidance while they are there, because this does not involve contact with people outside your household.

But is a boat an outside space?

and will your marina let you in as this could cause contact with people outside your household. Mine has said they won't in an 'all moorers' email but that could get difficult after Wednesday.

I could find no reference to second homes in the document.

the above refers to the 50 page document. but note it is a proposal to parliament so could get changed.

If CRT and Govt are happy with people returning to boats then Marinas surely can't prevent you? (or shouldn't be able to?)

Quote from their e-mail but that was before the document was published, I can see their reasoning, but? I have a BSS due soon and need to get some work done.

• per prior Government advice, our marinas are not currently accessible to those customers who do not have the marina as their primary residence, and we continue to ask all leisure customers to respect this mandate until the Government gives us clarity on any changed advice.

Having read the government document, I am struggling to see how that lets me visit the boat.  For certain I can drive to the marina and go for a walk there, but what let’s you set foot on the boat, there is nothing about second homes that I can see, and that presumably is the key to allowing you to visit a boat (that you do not permanently live on).

14 minutes ago, churchward said:

Boating as in cruising was and as yet not relaxed.  Essential travel by boat or any other means of transport was not banned.  It does not mean we can all go boating again presently. However, I quoted the official information and instruction from CRT it is up to you if you ignore it.

You of course can make up your own mind to honour the regulations or face the possibility of fines etc.  You may also find that in some places the navigation has been closed by physical barrier just now

The only physical barriers are manned structures such as Harecastle tunnel and Foxton locks. Both these have been booked for essential travel whilst the main lockdown was on. It is now minimum boating, not essential travel.

It is ludicrous in the extreme to have fishermen lining the towpaths(for indeed come wednesday they will be rife), canoes and kayaks up and down along with dinghys and paddle boards, and not expect boats to venture out.....especially if not doing locks.

2 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Having read the government document, I am struggling to see how that lets me visit the boat.  For certain I can drive to the marina and go for a walk there, but what let’s you set foot on the boat, there is nothing about second homes that I can see, and that presumably is the key to allowing you to visit a boat (that you do not permanently live on).

True, but CRT have explicitly said you can visit your boat from Weds so presume they have their people clear all this?

49 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Extracted from that .......

From Wednesday ...

"People may exercise outside as many times each day as they wish. For example, this would include angling and tennis."

"People may drive to outdoor open spaces irrespective of distance, so long as they respect social distancing guidance while they are there, because this does not involve contact with people outside your household"

I did not find any reference to boats, rivers ,canals  or the sea , which is not a bad thing .   

People may travel anywhere they like in England if they stick with their household group and observe social distancing while away from home . This is easily achieved if visiting your own boat.

Angling is specifically mentioned as an example so activity near water is permitted.

It seems to me going to visit your own boat and spending the day on it is achievable within the rules assuming the return journey is achievable. Staying overnight on  moored boat isn't prohibited.

But there is no rush ....staying at home is still the safest plan.

Any thoughts ?

23 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

If CRT and Govt are happy with people returning to boats then Marinas surely can't prevent you? (or shouldn't be able to?)

Most Marinas will not be a public space it is up to the Marina owners to allow access or not.  They need to make decisions too about safe working for their staff etc.

Just now, churchward said:

Most Marinas will not be a public space it is up to the Marina owners to allow access or not.  They need to make decisions too about safe working for their staff etc.

They cant legally stop you removing your boat, however, could refuse you re-entry at any point.

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

True, but CRT have explicitly said you can visit your boat from Weds so presume they have their people clear all this?

CRT can not say something that the government have not allowed.  All CRT can go is put into “boat terms” the government guidance.  That said none of the steps that the government  have later out say anything about second homes, so that could be an omission.  I certainly don’t know what to think at the moment.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, churchward said:

True, although it is simple for safe distancing in Marina's as most will spend all their time on their own boat and probably wont use any communal services. I would certainly have something to say to my marina operator if the CRT & Government allow visits to boats but they don't allow it....

6 minutes ago, MartynG said:

From Wednesday ...

"People may exercise outside as many times each day as they wish. For example, this would include angling and tennis."

"People may drive to outdoor open spaces irrespective of distance, so long as they respect social distancing guidance while they are there, because this does not involve contact with people outside your household"

I did not find any reference to boats, rivers ,canals  or the sea , which is not a bad thing .   

People may travel anywhere they like in England if they stick with their household group and observe social distancing while away from home . This is easily achieved if visiting your own boat.

Angling is specifically mentioned as an example so activity near water is permitted.

It seems to me going to visit your own boat and spending the day on it is achievable within the rules assuming the return journey is achievable. Staying overnight on  moored boat isn't prohibited.

Any thoughts ?

Presently the advice from government in the document is not specific about boating but it looks like it will be OK to visit ones boat in ENGLAND (if you do not already live on  it) Going anywhere ie navigating is another matter and the advice from CRT is that this is not possible presently. However, that may change.

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, MartynG said:

From Wednesday ...

Any thoughts ?

Those are all reasonable thoughts, but as boats come under the second homes category which the regulations specially forbid you visiting, so doesn’t it need the government to rescind that.

1 minute ago, john6767 said:

Those are all reasonable thoughts, but as boats come under the second homes category which the regulations specially forbid you visiting, so doesn’t it need the government to rescind that.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-can-and-cant-do/coronavirus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-can-and-cant-do

"Leaving your home - the place you live - to stay at another home for a holiday or other purpose is not allowed. This includes visiting second homes."

15 minutes ago, matty40s said:

The only physical barriers are manned structures such as Harecastle tunnel and Foxton locks. Both these have been booked for essential travel whilst the main lockdown was on. It is now minimum boating, not essential travel.

It is ludicrous in the extreme to have fishermen lining the towpaths(for indeed come wednesday they will be rife), canoes and kayaks up and down along with dinghys and paddle boards, and not expect boats to venture out.....especially if not doing locks.

As I said earlier, travel is allowed,  the mode of transport has not been specified,  I choose to travel by boat.

3 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-can-and-cant-do/coronavirus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-can-and-cant-do

"Leaving your home - the place you live - to stay at another home for a holiday or other purpose is not allowed. This includes visiting second homes."

I am fortunate. My boat is my 3rd home.

I think CART may have updated the e-mail they sent out this morning. This is on their website

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/safety-on-our-waterways/coronavirus

Update: Monday 11 May

Last night the government announced the first steps in lifting restrictions on outdoor activities and is now allowing people to drive to spend time outdoors with members of the same household. Based on this decision, from Wednesday 13 May we are lifting restrictions on boat owners visiting their boats.

At this stage general navigation still isn’t permitted and boats should only be used for minimal travel, for example for essential services or repairs. Where visiting, people should expect to return home the same day. We will be reviewing when we can restore navigation in light of the new government advice. In the meantime, mooring exemptions are extended by a further two weeks until Saturday 23 May.

7 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Thanks, I was looking at the document, did not spot the faq.  That does seem geared towards staying overnight, rather than visiting the boat to check it is a OK or do some work on it, which is not really much different to walking past it while taking exercise.

I have submitted a question for the press conference, what’s the chances of it being picked!

2 hours ago, liberal_baggie said:

I do hope to be able to go on my shared narrow boat mid June. I see no reason why I would be a threat to anyone with social distancing and only contact with my partner can't see any problem at all. We always wear gloves on the locks, paddles, ladders bollards etc. and if we all wear gloves what's the problem? We really don't need sanitising stations... then that's a bit of Freedom with no impact on anyone else.

Gloves don’t really help and maybe more harmful. The virus doesn’t enter through your hands. It can be transferred through touching something with your hand and then touching your mouth, noses, eyes. Washing with soap and water or sanitising either removes or destroys the virus. All wearing gloves does is mean the virus is on the glove rather than your hand. If wearing gloves means you are washing or sanitising less then it is potentially more of a problem. It is different with Weil’s disease as this is a bacterial infection which can be narrowed though cuts or abrasions in skin.

• Greenie 2

7 minutes ago, trane said:

I think CART may have updated the e-mail they sent out this morning. This is on their website

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/safety-on-our-waterways/coronavirus

Last night the government announced the first steps in lifting restrictions on outdoor activities and is now allowing people to drive to spend time outdoors with members of the same household. Based on this decision, from Wednesday 13 May we are lifting restrictions on boat owners visiting their boats.

At this stage general navigation still isn’t permitted and boats should only be used for minimal travel, for example for essential services or repairs. Where visiting, people should expect to return home the same day. We will be reviewing when we can restore navigation in light of the new government advice. In the meantime, mooring exemptions are extended by a further two weeks until Saturday 23 May.

That has changed since this morning...… not great if you visit your boat and it takes more than 8 hours to fix, you'll have to go home and come back the next day?

10 minutes ago, trane said:

Thank you

Not a problem for me but that is very clear .