Can we cruise again?

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Detling said:

There is a  huge difference between sailing a yacht along the english channel hundreds of meters offshore and travelling along a canal through a city with pedestrians on the bank. 

There is definitely a huge difference but, So What?

Since the lockdown started, we have all been entirely free to walk/run/cycle anywhere we like, (locally, once a day), as long as we keep 2m away from everyone else. The very fact that, as you suggest,  a boater on a canal would be more than 2 m from anyone on the bank, makes it safer than actually walking on the bank.

Somebody yesterday was saying that the difference was that Narrow Boating wasn't a sport, so wouldn't be allowed, given what Boris had said. I was tempted to add that the rules would probably turn out to include leisure and hobbies, but it didn't seem sensible to continue the discussion with someone who is constantly seeking opportunities to be contrary.

Looks like I would have been right, given what CRT have announced this morning.

Edited by Richard10002

30 minutes ago, Slim said:

But it was a recorded presentation with the opportunity to edit and clarify in advance. In my previous existence I gave many a presentation within limited time. Also I think you will find that it went on for much longer. (perhaps given it was Boris that was the problem). I watched a video of it and I'm sure it said 31 minutes and some seconds . I know I gave up watching at about 26 minutes 

IIRC it started at 7pm, and was over in time for "Millionaire" which started at 7.15pm, so no more than 15 mins.

32 minutes ago, Richard Fairhurst said:

Or at least, it claims to.

Formally it's the national sports governing body for boating, yachting and sailing. Canal boating isn't a sport (well, apart from the BCN Challenge...), and generally the RYA has about as much relevance to canals as British Cycling does to riding a bike to the shops.

I found the RYA Inland Waterways Helmsmans Course, and the Diesel Engine Course, extremely useful. The former was entirely relevant to canals, and the latter relevant to canals, my offshore travels, and to the Jaguar I used to own :) 

The government has now advised that you are allowed to travel to different locations for the purpose of exercise,  

as far as I can see, there are no restrictions, apart from public transport as to the vehicle or mode of travel which allows the journey to such destinations, therefore choosing to travel there by boat is within the guidlines.

From wednesday.

Edited by Rickent
  • Greenie 1

23 minutes ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

I read it as 'travelling' being getting to the boat, rather than on the boat itself. It's not particularly clear though.

Even  more confusion then...... makes Smellys description of Boris's extremely confusing speech somewhat off the mark eh? :) 

6 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

IIRC it started at 7pm, and was over in time for "Millionaire" which started at 7.15pm, so no more than 15 mins.

I picked it up as a video (via Google News ) at about 8pm. I may have been wrong but I thought it was about 31 minutes. Given that it's blowing a gale here and the gardens unwelcoming I'll see if I can track the video down 

I do hope to be able to go on my shared narrow boat mid June. I see no reason why I would be a threat to anyone with social distancing and only contact with my partner can't see any problem at all. We always wear gloves on the locks, paddles, ladders bollards etc. and if we all wear gloves what's the problem? We really don't need sanitising stations... then that's a bit of Freedom with no impact on anyone else.

1 minute ago, liberal_baggie said:

I do hope to be able to go on my shared narrow boat mid June. I see no reason why I would be a threat to anyone with social distancing and only contact with my partner can't see any problem at all. We always wear gloves on the locks, paddles, ladders bollards etc. and if we all wear gloves what's the problem? We really don't need sanitising stations... then that's a bit of Freedom with no impact on anyone else.

Gloves and/or scrupulous hand washing were always a good idea when canal boating anyway, with the number of rats around and the risk of Weil's disease (AKA Leptospirosis).

Jen

• Greenie 2

13 minutes ago, Slim said:

I picked it up as a video (via Google News ) at about 8pm. I may have been wrong but I thought it was about 31 minutes. Given that it's blowing a gale here and the gardens unwelcoming I'll see if I can track the video down 

Definitely only about 12 - 15 minutes. 

18 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

Richard 10002,

I stand corrected. Humble pie etc, etc. I've just found a full version on ytube and it shows 13.50. I assume I transposed the 1 and the 3. It certainly seemed like 31 minutes to me. I do stick by my claim that it was waffle from start to finish.

Frank  

• Love 1

56 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

Not quite:

" the Trust is lifting any remaining restrictions on boat owners visiting their boats though the Trust advises against travelling long distances unless it is essential to do so."

God I agree with WC that's a first!

I read that as travelling long distances to get to the boat not how far you travel on the boat.

Edited by Loddon

I am surprised by the responses to Boris' TV performance.  I thought he came over very well and far, far, better than I expected.  I loathe the guy and expected his usual dithering standard.

There are more details to come this afternoon, and the "Stay Alert" tag is not brilliant, but his personal performance was good. He looked worn down by his experience of the virus and less BS ish.

1 minute ago, system 4-50 said:

I am surprised by the responses to Boris' TV performance.  I thought he came over very well and far, far, better than I expected.  I loathe the guy and expected his usual dithering standard.

There are more details to come this afternoon, and the "Stay Alert" tag is not brilliant, but his personal performance was good. He looked worn down by his experience of the virus and less BS ish.

I thought the initial broadcast was clear too, and said so on here.

Where it seems to have gone pear shaped is other govt. ministers not singing from the same hymn sheet and media/social media speculation about what they think he said and/or what they think he should have said.

In overall PR terms it's been a bit of a cock up IMHO.

5 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

I dislike Boris Brexit and most of his government. However I feel somewhat sorry for him. I understand from the political pages he was under a lot of pressure, and is something of a dove in this. Good on him, he is showing some compassion and common sense. Yes he didn’t cover all bases and yes there are questions.

He needs the benefit of the doubt. I thought message was pretty clear, and well presented, but maybe should have been made Wednesday when the briefing paper was publishable simultaneously.

Others on both sides could  have been worse.

• Greenie 2

54 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

In which sense is he clueless..... ????

you have also stated that the speech was not clear, but things would be clarified...... this was after you had said that it was extremely clear, easy to understand, and only one thing had changed, despite mentioning 2 things that had changed.

Ive just been listening to some radio programme about Boris last night. Some people like you who have no idea and of course a losing minority poilitical agenda where moaning about needing clarification. it was a fone in programme. There were others phoning in who like myself fully undesrtood what was meant in the easy to understand briefing and one bloke said how he felt sorry for the people who couldnt understand it and wondered if some people need the government to nanny them. Dont worry the government know there are people like you  so they will be getting back to you in the fullness of time. Hand holding a speciality. What is of no use to the British is some Johny Foreigner spouting about what they do in some country on a different land mass ruled by a golf club, its not relevant.

10 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Ive just been listening to some radio programme about Boris last night. Some people like you who have no idea and of course a losing minority poilitical agenda where moaning about needing clarification. it was a fone in programme. There were others phoning in who like myself fully undesrtood what was meant in the easy to understand briefing and one bloke said how he felt sorry for the people who couldnt understand it and wondered if some people need the government to nanny them. Dont worry the government know there are people like you  so they will be getting back to you in the fullness of time. Hand holding a speciality. What is of no use to the British is some Johny Foreigner spouting about what they do in some country on a different land mass ruled by a golf club, its not relevant.

Please be quiet, the grown-ups are talking

• Greenie 1
  • Love 1

Just now, doratheexplorer said:

Please be quiet, the grown-ups are talking

Obviously not as you dont add to the debate, just solidify the dross being spouted by the naieve and needy.

17 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

I dislike Boris Brexit and most of his government. However I feel somewhat sorry for him. I understand from the political pages he was under a lot of pressure, and is something of a dove in this. Good on him, he is showing some compassion and common sense. Yes he didn’t cover all bases and yes there are questions.

He needs the benefit of the doubt. I thought message was pretty clear, and well presented, but maybe should have been made Wednesday when the briefing paper was publishable simultaneously.

Others on both sides could  have been worse.

Agreed. He is doing well and yes the mistake was stating going to work from today rather than telling the plebs that it was just a " Briefing " and the details would follow. It seems by this forum that hand holding is what many of the public need throughout their lives.

Just now, dogsarelandseals said:

The comments on his twitter posts last night were vicious. Actually upset me a bit. I may not agree with his policies but the guy almost died. I'm sure he doesn't care about them though. 

Whatever " Twatter " is I suggest not looking at it.

Just now, dogsarelandseals said:

I had to close the tab. Can't bear that amount of nastiness. I think he's doing his best. I quite liked the Stay Alert message.

Yes, many people did like the message, the negatives on here are very much in the main from people who lose when they vote so will dig at anything Boris does. No administration in the World has had to deal with this before so mistakes will be made, problem here is that people with cushy office jobs and hindsight keep spouting nonsense.

17 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

Following Boris’s speech. In England we can now travel around as much as we want it seems, so will CRT be saying that cruising is back on as long as social distancing is done? Thoughts?

Fishing is now allowed subject to social distancing.  I can't see that operating a boat is any different as long as you social distance at locks and when mooring. I hope CRT with confirm this very soon.

Just now, Flyboy said:

Fishing is now allowed subject to social distancing.  I can't see that operating a boat is any different as long as you social distance at locks and when mooring. I hope CRT with confirm this very soon.

I think given that people can now travel in their vehicles much more than they could previously CRT are going to struggle to justify keeping boaters immobilised in the manner they have currently. Your average boat can certainly move a much shorter distance per hour than a car anyway.

Of course the government haven't specifically mentioned boating but it's now incumbent upon CRT to sensibly interpret the guidance presumably based on contact with the government.

There will undoubtedly be contact outside the public arena between the government and organisations such as CRT, NT, EH etc etc.