Diesel Vs Electric

Fly Navy

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Lily Rose said:

Quite an interesting thread on SpeakEV, particularly post #11.

https://www.speakev.com/threads/rebutting-the-nay-sayers.134272/

I have no idea how fair this is. I don't own an EV (yet) and recently decided not to buy one just yet but I think it highly likely I will in 1 or 2 years time.

Post #21 provides an interesting set of counterpoint.

For me the inability to travel 250 miles without recharging will prevent me from getting one, as I have elderly parents who like that far from me and I may one day soon need to get there in a hurry.

4 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Post #21 provides an interesting set of counterpoint.

For me the inability to travel 250 miles without recharging will prevent me from getting one, as I have elderly parents who like that far from me and I may one day soon need to get there in a hurry.

Kia Soul think it has a 383mile range and fast charging so no issues really

5 hours ago, Fly Navy said:

The 1st question to ask before purchasing a 2nd hand EV is: How much to replace the battery pack (or how much is left on the battery warranty)?

It is still early days for used EV's and the subsequent owners arent used to their battery packs reaching their sgelf life. Example: 

BMW i8 is now 5 yrs old. Battery life: est. 8yrs. Replacement cost

out of warranty: £8 to £10k!

Well dont buy a beemer! we have already established they are crap and expensive! So buy a proper EV

12 minutes ago, cuthound said:

But is it achievable in real world driving, i.e 75- 80mph up the motorway in the dark?

If you do 75 -80 around here you wont have to worry about driving in the dark, because the law will have taken your license off you to save you problems ?

5 hours ago, Lily Rose said:

Clearly EVs are not yet the solution for ALL journeys but I would think journeys over, say, 250 miles are pretty rare for most people. .

I do 400 miles every second weekend to see Mum and visit Dad in his home, Kathy commutes about 450 miles a week and lots extra if she is visiting sites all over the UK with samples. EV is a non starter for us, charging would be an impossibility.

Just now, peterboat said:

If you do 75 -80 around here you wont have to worry about driving in the dark, because the law will have taken your license off you to save you problems ?

No, I'd just be keeping up with the traffic. The law dont usually prosecute until you exceed the limit by 10% + 2 mph = 79mph.

No, I'd just be keeping up with the traffic. The law dont usually prosecute until you exceed the limit by 10% + 2 mph = 79mph.

We now have pollution sensors and cameras on the M1 through Sheffield/Rotherham, it seems that 50mph means just that! All caused by those clean diesels that you are all going on about!? At least my Lucida can only just do that 50mph so it dont matter

Edited by peterboat
  • Greenie 1

Just now, peterboat said:

We now have pollution sensors and cameras on the M1 through Sheffield/Rotherham it seems that 50mph means just that all caused by those clean diesels that you are all going on about!? At least my Lucida can only just do that 50mph so it dont matter

Should you drive in France, don’t factor in the +10% plus 2mph/3kph, or you will be fined a bit sharpish, there is almost no leeway here. Ask me how I know!

1 minute ago, Stilllearning said:

Should you drive in France, don’t factor in the +10% plus 2mph/3kph, or you will be fined a bit sharpish, there is almost no leeway here. Ask me how I know!

Funny you should say that........................................?

5 minutes ago, matty40s said:

I do 400 miles every second weekend to see Mum and visit Dad in his home, Kathy commutes about 450 miles a week and lots extra if she is visiting sites all over the UK with samples. EV is a non starter for us, charging would be an impossibility.

Fair enough, they are not suitable for everyone. But...

Official government statistics say only 4% of journeys are over 25 miles and only 2% are over 50 miles. Those over the real world range of newer EVs (say 150 miles) must surely be a much lower % than 2%.

That still does not mean they are right for everyone but it probably means they would be right for a hell of a lot of people if they weren't so expensive. And probably right for even more people as the charging infrastructure improves (which is happening every month) even if they are unable to charge at home.

Individual examples from people showing EVs are not right for them only go to show that they are not right for them, not that they will not be right, now or in the future, for other people depending on their circumstances.

• Greenie 1

24 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

Fair enough, they are not suitable for everyone. But...

Official government statistics say only 4% of journeys are over 25 miles and only 2% are over 50 miles. Those over the real world range of newer EVs (say 150 miles) must surely be a much lower % than 2%.

That still does not mean they are right for everyone but it probably means they would be right for a hell of a lot of people if they weren't so expensive. And probably right for even more people as the charging infrastructure improves (which is happening every month) even if they are unable to charge at home.

Individual examples from people showing EVs are not right for them only go to show that they are not right for them, not that they will not be right, now or in the future, for other people depending on their circumstances.

That is probably due to all the mums on the school run doing 4 miles  each way morning and night, 

1 hour ago, peterboat said:

We now have pollution sensors and cameras on the M1 through Sheffield/Rotherham, it seems that 50mph means just that! All caused by those clean diesels that you are all going on about!? At least my Lucida can only just do that 50mph so it dont matter

Maybe when pollution levels are rising diesel cars should stay in lanes 1 & 2 with a speed limit of 55mph.  ANPR speed cameras every few hundred yards would soon sort out the uk budget deficit. .....

I must be one of the really low percentage of drivers then;

Shortest journey is 7miles (to the supermarket)

Normal journeys 50-60 miles (to the boat)

Even when I worked that was 26miles each way from the boat or 80 from the cottage.

Love the way my remapped (to get rid of the emissions fix) VAG diesel just munches up the miles ;)

2 hours ago, Loddon said:

I must be one of the really low percentage of drivers then;

Shortest journey is 7miles (to the supermarket)

Normal journeys 50-60 miles (to the boat)

Even when I worked that was 26miles each way from the boat or 80 from the cottage.

Love the way my remapped (to get rid of the emissions fix) VAG diesel just munches up the miles ;)

Cant see the problem then an electric car would be great for you.

As for fixes why did you have the emissions fix sorted? My sister asked me and I told her it was a disaster so she never bothered

9 hours ago, peterboat said:

As for fixes why did you have the emissions fix sorted? My sister asked me and I told her it was a disaster so she never bothered

Fix/fail was done before I bought the car so needed dealing with.

As for electric I also do long distances 250 yesterday 300 tomorrow and tow a lot, often well over 1400kg ( Yeti has 2000kg limit) another reason for the remap to 180hp and 420nm of torque.

As I've said many times electric doesn't do what I need and I don't have a spare £35k to spend on a PHEV that will only just (1500kg limit) tow what I need.

11 hours ago, peterboat said:

I decided not to get the 'fix' on my Skoda, having put 100,000 miles on the car in 7 years. I'm using it much less these days anyway, so less pollution. When I eventually sell it I reckon it will be a more attractive proposition without the fix.

17 hours ago, matty40s said:

Whilst its nice to see how passionate Peter is about leccy cars, in reality in 2019 they are a non starter for any but the few who live with easy charging and dont go anywhere/far. My regular trips vary between 135 miles thats the shortest to my mums and 500 miles and every thing inbetween. I do this easily with a 1k car in comfort. Even if people bought expensive leccy cars that love throwing money away its not possible to do this type of motoring that millions of us do. All these quoted distances that leccy cars can do in reality will be way less. Today for instance its cold overcast with plenty of rain How far in REALITY will a standard leccy car go at motorway speed with headlights, wipers and heater blower on?? you will not find the result from any car manufacturer either. Add in the fact that some cars will do a particular trip with a couple of miles to spare but then what happens when the inevitable accident happens on the motorway and its closed and its cold wet and raining with stop start moving for say two hours or more ( we have all been there ) how long is it before heater, lights and motor simply jack in? what then especialy if there are thousands of us? spare battery somewhere like yer five litre can of petrol? So you can spend huge amounts on a leccy car with an internal combustion engine with it to charge the batteries !!  ? viable all leccy cars have not happened yet and it aint happening anytime soon.

• Greenie 4