• House Coal
    • Wet unseasoned wood
    • Seasoned wood (2years minimum)
    • Kiln dried wood
    • Manufactured smokeless fuel
    • Anthracite

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

There should be a "Dead Badgers" box in the survey. I'm convinced there's quite folk a few burning those judging by the smoke, smell and trails of goo down the side of boats I've passed. ;)

One boat pasted me on Sunday, I'm sure she must have been burning turds as fuel from the smell.

2 hours ago, Loddon said:

Surely non smokeless coal is the dirty stuff ;)

Not particularly, a small amount of visible smoke when first lit or topped up but after that no worse than most smokeless offerings. Indeed, some smokeless fuels i've used are incredibly acrid. The invisible fumes from a vehicle exhaust are no less deadly than any others, rather like the environmentally friendly electric car needing an environmentally unfriendly power station to create the illusion. 

• Greenie 2
  • Horror 1

Masses of overlapping Seesaws covering the whole country, errected at every possible angle could enable us to drive about in totally unpowered vehicles. heavier vehicles would out balance lighter ones, tip em up and send them on their way to wait at the next Seesaw for a heavier vehicle to counter balance them again and so on, and on, and on, two way traffic system.   Really heavy jugernaughts might have to wait some time for one heavier than them to counterbalance them though and of course the unlucky heaviest vehicle in the country would hardly ever move at all.  This theory is for travelling uphill and on the level, coasting downhill is of course is no problem unless your brakes are faulty, The system would almost be perpetual motion and totally clean. Watch Redbull Soapbox races.

7 hours ago, tree monkey said:

Smokeless coal, I used to burn 100% seasoned wood, no coal at all.

Wood doesn't always need 2 years to season by the way

I've burned nothing but wood for the past 40 years.  A lot of nonsense is talked about burning wood (not by you, TM!) including those old rhymes about the burning characteristics of various woods.  This past summer has been great for drying wood, so wood felled this spring has dried in a few months to a perfectly usable state.  I sweep my boat and house flues once a year, usually about now, and don't get an inordinate amount of soot or tar.    I provided a link in another thread to a book which tells you all you ever wanted to know about burning wood in stoves - a fascinating read.   Norwegian Wood

• Greenie 2

9 hours ago, bizzard said:

Masses of overlapping Seesaws covering the whole country, errected at every possible angle could enable us to drive about in totally unpowered vehicles. heavier vehicles would out balance lighter ones, tip em up and send them on their way to wait at the next Seesaw for a heavier vehicle to counter balance them again and so on, and on, and on, two way traffic system.   Really heavy jugernaughts might have to wait some time for one heavier than them to counterbalance them though and of course the unlucky heaviest vehicle in the country would hardly ever move at all.  This theory is for travelling uphill and on the level, coasting downhill is of course is no problem unless your brakes are faulty, The system would almost be perpetual motion and totally clean. Watch Redbull Soapbox races.

Won't this eventually end up with all the vehicles on the south coast? :blink:

Edited by Sea Dog
Sp.

15 hours ago, tree monkey said:

Smokeless coal, I used to burn 100% seasoned wood, no coal at all.

Wood doesn't always need 2 years to season by the way

As said it's the moisture content that is the maker/breaker for wood a decent (not chicom) moisture meter 4 prong jobbie with a reading of south of 20%& if you can get to near16% you are good to go One other point a proper dedicated wood burning stove will give better burning characteristics than a multi fuel stove burning wood but with a mix of fuel the multi is the better bet but the bottom line is how dry is the wood

• Greenie 1

15 hours ago, Loddon said:

I understood willow was only useful for cricket bats not for burning!

Dry willow burns very nicely in the correct stoves guess that a good # of the stoves on boats are a compromise & not the best/ most efficient  for the job

10 hours ago, BWM said:

Not particularly, a small amount of visible smoke when first lit or topped up but after that no worse than most smokeless offerings. Indeed, some smokeless fuels i've used are incredibly acrid. The invisible fumes from a vehicle exhaust are no less deadly than any others, rather like the environmentally friendly electric car needing an environmentally unfriendly power station to create the illusion. 

Really? so all those wind turbines dont work? and thats all the ones you cant see at sea!

• Greenie 1

33 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Really? so all those wind turbines dont work? and thats all the ones you cant see at sea!

Have you any idea how much UK power is produced by wind turbines? It doesn't even constitute a token amount, and that situation is unlikely to change with the current government cutting grants for renewables. 

9 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

I've burned nothing but wood for the past 40 years.  A lot of nonsense is talked about burning wood (not by you, TM!) including those old rhymes about the burning characteristics of various woods.  This past summer has been great for drying wood, so wood felled this spring has dried in a few months to a perfectly usable state.  I sweep my boat and house flues once a year, usually about now, and don't get an inordinate amount of soot or tar.    I provided a link in another thread to a book which tells you all you ever wanted to know about burning wood in stoves - a fascinating read.   Norwegian Wood

I'm adding a little reclaimed, untreated oak flooring to the anthracite I usually burn. Seasoned for 100+ years, it burns very nicely (see picture).

20181003_074408.jpg

3 minutes ago, BWM said:

Have you any idea how much UK power is produced by wind turbines? It doesn't even constitute a token amount, and that situation is unlikely to change...

It’s increasing every year and wind power exceeded nuclear power in the first quarter of this year. It’s currently sitting at somewhere between 15% and 18% of total generation but as I said above it increases every year. 

• Greenie 1

"...Do you stick to smokeless fuels and dried wood or are you an anti social B'stard..."

My first thoughts on the question, before I tick any boxes, was to ask if you class yourself as the latter?

6 minutes ago, BWM said:

Have you any idea how much UK power is produced by wind turbines? It doesn't even constitute a token amount, and that situation is unlikely to change with the current government cutting grants for renewables. 

I'm adding a little reclaimed, untreated oak flooring to the anthracite I usually burn. Seasoned for 100+ years, it burns very nicely (see picture).

20181003_074408.jpg

Looks a bit steamy. Thoroughly dry wood should emit a nice blue smoke. 

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, WotEver said:

It’s increasing every year and wind power exceeded nuclear power in the first quarter of this year. It’s currently sitting at somewhere between 15% and 18% of total generation but as I said above it increases every year. 

Wind has nearly double the installed capacity of Nuclear tho.   Unfortunately renewables are unreliable by there very nature (apart front Hydro) so to have a reliable grid you need a reliable backbone  source and the only technology that can provide that on mass is Nuclear.

• Greenie 2

I used to burn pallets when I was ashore - nice and dry and the nuggets holding them together act like coal. Only trouble is they are a bit of a faff to break up. Always plenty around and nice and dry.

On the boat I gather branches that are already dead/dry and with my loppers chop em to size. It's very quick and easy. Bit of smokeless fuel as a base. Wouldn't dream of using dirty old house coal no matter where I was.

I also burn: Oil, gas, diesel, petrol... what a dirty business it all is.

38 minutes ago, WotEver said:

That's more than I thought, and can only be a good thing. 

35 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Looks a bit steamy. Thoroughly dry wood should emit a nice blue smoke. 

It is as dry as wood gets, and only produces visible smoke for a couple of minutes. 

51 minutes ago, Robbo said:

to have a reliable grid you need a reliable backbone  source and the only technology that can provide that on mass is Nuclear.

I completely agree. 

We Nightwatchers don't  burn wood by choice. We burn smokeless, which I think must mean less smoke as it's not always smokeless.

We bought and used a cheapish coal when oop norf and since had issues with a blocked flue. Now resolved.

We are about to purchase our first coal for this end of the year. I have in my mind that I'd like Excel. Failing that Stoveglow. 

Anyone think this is an unwise choice? If it is what recommendation to go for. We don't keep the stove very hot just on tickover really. (Our replica eco- fan spreads the heat! I Think!) ?

Do we know the going price for, say, 20kg bags?

There's so many to choose from.

Continuous Leisure Boater. (Definition being, don't need to stay in one place).

Edited by Nightwatch

55 minutes ago, Robbo said:

to have a reliable grid you need a reliable backbone  source and the only technology that can provide that on mass is Nuclear.

3 minutes ago, WotEver said:

I completely agree. 

the trouble with looking only at wind  & nuclear as a solution is that nuclear cannot start up quickly to cover a drop in power from wind, (depending on conditions it can take anything from 6 hours to several days to bring a reactor back online, and that gap is where gas fuelled power stations are needed as they are about the only generation system we have that can fast start.