• House Coal
    • Wet unseasoned wood
    • Seasoned wood (2years minimum)
    • Kiln dried wood
    • Manufactured smokeless fuel
    • Anthracite

Featured Posts

A somewhat biased question!

I ticked smokeless coal and "seasoned wood" because even though it wasn't felled 2 years ago it certainly isn't wet - current stock was felled and cheesed up about 6 months ago. This is in our home, not boat, stove, as we rarely use the one in the boat.

3 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Smokeless coal, I used to burn 100% seasoned wood, no coal at all.

Wood doesn't always need 2 years to season by the way

You dont burn wood cos it would be murder!!

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

I used to burn well-seasoned wood as well as smokeless fuel, but gave up using wood as it clogged up the flue too much and on top of the baffle plate, which was a real pain to remove.  Still need to clean the flue and the junk on top of the baffle plate, but nowhere near as often.

Edited to clarify what i was giving up (see mrsmelly's post below)!

Edited by dor
clarification
  • Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, dor said:

I used to burn well-seasoned wood as well as smokeless fuel, but gave it up as it clogged up the flue too much and on top of the baffle plate, which was a real pain to remove.  Still need to clean the flue and the junk on top of the baffle plate, but nowhere near as often.

What did you give up?

1 minute ago, dor said:

I used to burn well-seasoned wood as well as smokeless fuel, but gave it up as it clogged up the flue too much and on top of the baffle plate, which was a real pain to remove.  Still need to clean the flue and the junk on top of the baffle plate, but nowhere near as often.

I agree with this. The problem I find is that as the boat is a very small volume, the stove is usually in tick over mode to generate the heat needed. Ok in the very cold weather, you turn up the wick but it is in tick over more than not. This then causes an issue as the 'tars' distilling out of the wood - even in well seasoned stuff - condense on the flue. Ours is a lot cleaner with coal - but I do burn some wood but certainly not overnight like I used to do on our house stove years back.

1 minute ago, MJG said:

No option for those compressed wood logs/discs.

We have tried them with good results.

Storage is the problem I think, let your coal or logs get rained on not ideal but no big deal, the compressed brickett things tend to explode

5 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

I agree with this. The problem I find is that as the boat is a very small volume, the stove is usually in tick over mode to generate the heat needed. Ok in the very cold weather, you turn up the wick but it is in tick over more than not. This then causes an issue as the 'tars' distilling out of the wood - even in well seasoned stuff - condense on the flue. Ours is a lot cleaner with coal - but I do burn some wood but certainly not overnight like I used to do on our house stove years back.

Agreed, well seasoned wood is a great fuel but the fire and flue needs more cleaning than purely coal use, especially when slumbering 

• Greenie 1

21 minutes ago, MJG said:

No option for those compressed wood logs/discs.

We have tried them with good results.

I'd forgotten about those.  We had a couple of bags of them about two winters ago (can't remember the brand name) and they were a good stand-by if we didn't hav eany actual wood left. Having had a 50' weeping willow pollarded this spring, there should be no such shortage this winter.

Currently royal oak blocks. Off cuts from a oak framed barn on Prince Charles's estate. He supplied the oak from his woodlands and it has been seasoned for 10 years. It burns beautifully, very little ash and no smoke. Unfortunately I only have a bit left now and there is no more.

Coal on bote with occaisional seasoned log for boost.

Seasoned hardwood at 'ome. But we are smokeless in Lahndon.

I got some smokeless coal from B+Q - utter crap.

20180921_184313_resized.jpg

Edited by mark99

1 minute ago, Detling said:

Currently royal oak blocks. Off cuts from a oak framed barn on Prince Charles's estate. He supplied the oak from his woodlands and it has been seasoned for 10 years. It burns beautifully, very little ash and no smoke. Unfortunately I only have a bit left now and there is no more.

Now that would have been an interesting project

1 minute ago, Loddon said:

I understood willow was only useful for cricket bats not for burning!

Nope, it's a fine timber to burn if seasoned properly