• House Coal
    • Wet unseasoned wood
    • Seasoned wood (2years minimum)
    • Kiln dried wood
    • Manufactured smokeless fuel
    • Anthracite

Featured Posts

12 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

To me seems there is not a consistent standard with things that are given a particular brand name.

Agreed.

Our homefire ovals in the last month have not been anywhere near as good as last seasons. Trying a few bags of excel now.

23 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Stoveglow is no longer sold as a smokeless fuel, (it changed a few years back), so you are not comparing like with like.

The "new" non smokeless Stoveglow has itself been singled out as filling chimneys and baffle plates with "goo".

Also, we are now using Supertherm, and I can't see that it makes more ash than other types.

To me seems there is not a consistent standard with things that are given a particular brand name.

I was under the impression that supertherm wasn't a smokeless fuel, and admit it has been around 3 years since I've used it. My suspicion is that you are at the mercy of the supplier and what they choose to fill the bags with.

I had an interesting email exchange with the manufacturers of a product called burnwell, which was good value and performed well. A subsequent batch produced loads of ash, very little heat and contained different sized nuggets (something I've seen in other brands over the years). The manufacturer said that this was not their product and was an inferior he referred to as 'mixed briquettes'.

Edited by BWM

Regarding 'green' electricity, the oldest is hydro, which not only provides a reliable, constant source, but has used pumped storage at times of low demand for many years.  And the latest in energy storage, utilising a basic physical force - https://www.gravitricity.com/  Energy storage from variable sources such as wind and solar is the way forward.

1 hour ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

Regarding 'green' electricity, the oldest is hydro, which not only provides a reliable, constant source, but has used pumped storage at times of low demand for many years.  And the latest in energy storage, utilising a basic physical force - https://www.gravitricity.com/  Energy storage from variable sources such as wind and solar is the way forward.

The problem with hydro storage is the lack of land for the amount we would require.

6 hours ago, BWM said:

I was under the impression that supertherm wasn't a smokeless fuel, and admit it has been around 3 years since I've used it. My suspicion is that you are at the mercy of the supplier and what they choose to fill the bags with.

I had an interesting email exchange with the manufacturers of a product called burnwell, which was good value and performed well. A subsequent batch produced loads of ash, very little heat and contained different sized nuggets (something I've seen in other brands over the years). The manufacturer said that this was not their product and was an inferior he referred to as 'mixed briquettes'.

https://smokecontrol.defra.gov.uk/fuels.php?country=england

There seem to be 4 different products called "supertherm" all CPL "authorised for use in smoke control areas"

11 hours ago, Robbo said:

Even with those accidents which both happened due to poorly designed plants the number of deaths for the amount of electricity produced is lower than any other source.   We don’t dispose the waste we store until safe, with other sources we pump into the air or have no real method of disposal (solar).

Have you worked in the nuclear industry long?    My brother did and at one point in one station the fence was moved so that contamination stayed on site.   Stored safely?   Calder Hall waste is still in water held in corroding tanks.

Sea weed is regularly collected from the west Cumbria coast by men in white suits and full protective gear.  I can't imagine why they do that.

Lower level waste is simply buried.  Depending on which Uranium isotope the half life is between 25,000 yrs and 700,000,000 yrs

I have seen a map showing the raised radiation levels round Calder Hall/Winscale/Sellafield (take your pick of name it changes every time there is a bad reputation.  It showed raised levels as far across the county as Ullswater.

Your definition of safe and mine don't really agree.

14 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Have you worked in the nuclear industry long? 

Lower level waste is simply buried.  Depending on which Uranium isotope the half life is between 25,000 yrs and 700,000,000 yr.

Therefore it is safe.

I spent many years in the 70s and 80s looking at encapsulation of spent magnox fuel rods to dump under ground..... down mine shafts. Good solution. Polyester resin was not good enough....to much leeching....but epoxy was great but too expensive. Can't say any more or else I will need to kill myself. 

4 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Therefore it is safe.

I spent many years in the 70s and 80s looking at encapsulation of spent magnox fuel rods to dump under ground..... down mine shafts. Good solution. Polyester resin was not good enough....to much leeching....but epoxy was great but too expensive. Can't say any more or else I will need to kill myself. 

Sorry but I don't consider something still being dangerous if the encapsulation is damaged as safe.  Even in this country we get rock movements and minor earthquakes.    Just my opinion other opinions are available.

22 hours ago, Jerra said:

Have you worked in the nuclear industry long?    My brother did and at one point in one station the fence was moved so that contamination stayed on site.   Stored safely?   Calder Hall waste is still in water held in corroding tanks.

Sea weed is regularly collected from the west Cumbria coast by men in white suits and full protective gear.  I can't imagine why they do that.

Lower level waste is simply buried.  Depending on which Uranium isotope the half life is between 25,000 yrs and 700,000,000 yrs

I have seen a map showing the raised radiation levels round Calder Hall/Winscale/Sellafield (take your pick of name it changes every time there is a bad reputation.  It showed raised levels as far across the county as Ullswater.

Your definition of safe and mine don't really agree.

It's perfectly save if you dig a hole in the sand and put your head in it. 

• 2 months later...

I burn packets of crisps on my stove, it really gets the kindling going before adding the coal.

Someone mentioned burning poo the other day, that's just disgusting.

The amount of times walkers have said (ow that smells lovely I like the smell of wood burners), if only they knew Jack had just put on a fresh log haha.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Greyladyx said:

I burn packets of crisps on my stove, it really gets the kindling going before adding the coal.

Someone mentioned burning poo the other day, that's just disgusting.

The amount of times walkers have said (ow that smells lovely I like the smell of wood burners), if only they knew Jack had just put on a fresh log haha.

The salt on crisps is likely to put the fire out.    B&M have Blaze smokeless in stock, £3.99 for 10 kg bags,  it burns well.

6 hours ago, bizzard said:

The salt on crisps is likely to put the fire out.    B&M have Blaze smokeless in stock, £3.99 for 10 kg bags,  it burns well.

I tried that stuff but my stove did not like it.

Hey empty a bag of crisps into your stove it's like adding petrol lol,  they dont have to be walkers any my mum's brand works just as well. 

4 hours ago, Greyladyx said:

I tried that stuff but my stove did not like it.

Hey empty a bag of crisps into your stove it's like adding petrol lol,  they dont have to be walkers any my mum's brand works just as well. 

What an interesting idea! You're worse than mad. I'll try it!!!

:hug:

P.S. I wonder if my van will run on crisps instead of diesel.....

I certainly rely heavily on crisps for nutrition.

5 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

What an interesting idea! You're worse than mad. I'll try it!!!

:hug:

P.S. I wonder if my van will run on crisps instead of diesel.....

I certainly rely heavily on crisps for nutrition.

Your not wrong their I am mad.

Guess your van might run on refined  rapeseed oil.

Aldi snackright crisps are good burners but they taste of only oil.

Cheese puffs are ok too, a family bag will start the wood without fire lighters.

23 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

CRIMINAL WASTE of cheeze puffs!!

Saves getting out the leather hole puncher Lol.

Hang on put cheese puffs on hold!

You just got me thinking their?

You mentioned 'Nuts',  they have oils too, might be more expensive than monster munch though.. 

Lol

Going to bed now with the big light on.

Edited by Greyladyx