• House Coal
    • Wet unseasoned wood
    • Seasoned wood (2years minimum)
    • Kiln dried wood
    • Manufactured smokeless fuel
    • Anthracite

Featured Posts

7 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

There should be a "Dead Badgers" box in the survey. I'm convinced there's quite folk a few burning those judging by the smoke, smell and trails of goo down the side of boats I've passed. ;)

Morso make a Badger, Squirrel,owl and panther.They also make a viking.I wouldn't recommend burning any of them.

ETA.Oh and a swift

Edited by rusty69

I got a little stash of Prunus (wild plum - Mirabelle) that I'm looking forward to burning.

Also just felled (well the pro's did) a holly tree - but that's not meant to be good burning. It's being seasoned.

I got rid of 3m3 of sappy pine and brush yesterday - one great huge bonfire.

Edited by mark99

1 minute ago, mark99 said:

I got a little stash of Prunus (wild plum - Mirabelle) that I'm looking forward to burning.

Also just felled (well the pro's did) a holly tree - but that's not meant to be good burning. It's being seasoned.

I got rid of 3m3 of sappy pine and brush yesterday - one great huge bonfire.

Much maligned timber is softwood, it's a good firewood, as always properly seasoned it's fine burning

Just now, tree monkey said:

Much maligned timber is softwood, it's a good firewood, as always properly seasoned it's fine burning

The trouble was TM, it was mainly smallish branches with lots of green on. Too difficult to clear off the side branches. Great burner though!

2 minutes ago, Athy said:

Shurely "seasonal"?

No, it's been salted and peppered.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

I thought the smokeless zone ruling did not apply to inland boats?

It doesn't but it will soon!

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/734636/domestic-burning-consultation-document.pdf

Edited by Loddon

13 minutes ago, peterboat said:

I use anthracite on the Rayburn as it was designed for it to get it up to heat fast I use ash which is well seasoned and burns really well

I didn't know you could burn ash, I usually just chuck mine in the bin:)

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, tree monkey said:

Storage is the problem I think, let your coal or logs get rained on not ideal but no big deal, the compressed brickett things tend to explode

The ones we have used come in sealed plastic bags. Ok once open you have to keep them dry but not hard to do if you just open a bag at a time.

1 minute ago, MJG said:

The ones we have used come in sealed plastic bags. Ok once open you have to keep them dry but not hard to do if you just open a bag at a time.

I bought a ton of them a few years ago worked well and for me they were very cheap as it was a mate that did them

17 minutes ago, Loddon said:

That is a consultation document, and the consultation is still open, so nothing is yet set in stone. And I couldn't see any reference to changing the status of boats.

No option for non smokeless coal, such as stoveglow, etc., used by many boaters, myself included...or plastic. Our last mooring had a number of people that thought it acceptable to burn plastic waste. 

16 minutes ago, BWM said:

No option for non smokeless coal, such as stoveglow, etc., used by many boaters, myself included...or plastic. Our last mooring had a number of people that thought it acceptable to burn plastic waste. 

Surely non smokeless coal is the dirty stuff ;)

Edited by Loddon

59 minutes ago, David Mack said:

That is a consultation document, and the consultation is still open, so nothing is yet set in stone. And I couldn't see any reference to changing the status of boats.

Doesn't this come back to the issue of doing the right thing because you can not because you have to?

If boaters burn smoke causing material in their stoves in smokeless zones surely all that does is create animosity towards all boaters?

1 hour ago, BWM said:

Plastic. Plastic. Plastic!!!!!!

Some plastics  burn cleaner than my smokeless coal (homebrite ovals today)  ie polyethylene/polypropylene and they account for 70% of rigid waste plastics. Its the PVC, polystyrene and ABS that cause the smoke. Any plastics with a specific gravity over 1.0 will smoke. Please dont tar all plastics with the same brush.?

Anyone tried supertherm? Huge amounts of smoke in the first hour as the impurities burn off.

31 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Plastic. Plastic. Plastic!!!!!!

Some plastics  burn cleaner than my smokeless coal (homebrite ovals today)  ie polyethylene/polypropylene and they account for 70% of rigid waste plastics. Its the PVC, polystyrene and ABS that cause the smoke. Any plastics with a specific gravity over 1.0 will smoke. Please dont tar all plastics with the same brush.?

Anyone tried supertherm? Huge amounts of smoke in the first hour as the impurities burn off.

I use Supertherm all the time.not too Smokey on warm up ,maybe your was damp?

Edited by cereal tiller